[Game Day] Leafs @ Sabres 8:00PM

SabresBeat

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- When Pat LaFontaine first learned the Buffalo Sabres made plans to retire his number, his mind raced back to his childhood. Growing up outside of Detroit in the 1970s, LaFontaine looked up to Montreal's Guy Lafleur and Buffalo's Gilbert Perreault.

Before Friday's game against Toronto, LaFontaine's No. 16 jersey will join Perreault's No. 11 in the rafters of HSBC Arena.

"To have my jersey raised up next to one of those guys is pretty special," LaFontaine said. "As a kid, you always look up and see numbers and you see names. And you never think at the time, even when I was playing, that something like that would ever happen."

LaFontaine showed similar flashes of speed, grace and production in his 15-year Hall-of-Fame career. Playing junior hockey in Quebec, LaFontaine broke Lafleur's record of a point in 40 consecutive games.

LaFontaine's career numbers -- 468 goals and 545 assists for 1,013 points in 865 games -- came during seasons with the New York Islanders, Sabres and a final year with the Rangers. A series of concussions forced him to retire in 1998.

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- When Pat LaFontaine first learned the Buffalo Sabres made plans to retire his number, his mind raced back to his childhood. Growing up outside of Detroit in the 1970s, LaFontaine looked up to Montreal's Guy Lafleur and Buffalo's Gilbert Perreault.

Before Friday's game against Toronto, LaFontaine's No. 16 jersey will join Perreault's No. 11 in the rafters of HSBC Arena.

"To have my jersey raised up next to one of those guys is pretty special," LaFontaine said. "As a kid, you always look up and see numbers and you see names. And you never think at the time, even when I was playing, that something like that would ever happen."

LaFontaine showed similar flashes of speed, grace and production in his 15-year Hall-of-Fame career. Playing junior hockey in Quebec, LaFontaine broke Lafleur's record of a point in 40 consecutive games.

LaFontaine's career numbers -- 468 goals and 545 assists for 1,013 points in 865 games -- came during seasons with the New York Islanders, Sabres and a final year with the Rangers. A series of concussions forced him to retire in 1998.

LaFontaine has to be my favorite Sabres skater. (There are others that I love, but Patty was my favorite; even higher than Gilbert, Danny, Larry Mickey, or Rick Seiling (boy talk about an eclectic mix of forwards I like)). The guy was such an incredible talent and still managed to have an "aw shucks" attitude that never came off as contrived or forced. He is genuinely one of the good guys in sports and I hope the Sabres kick the Laffs butts for the guy.

The ONLY thing which would have made tonight better, would be if the Sabres were wearing their Blue and Gold for tonight.

I figure that the team will come out with all the guys wearing the Blue and Gold #16 jerseys for the pregame ceremony, like they did for Gare's night, but man, how great would it have been if they were doing a REAL throwback night, and played in throwback jerseys.

Also, I noticed the other night that the Canadiens and Leafs were playing on a Saturday night and they had reversed the current uniform standard. The Leafs were home, and wearing a throwback style jersey, which was white, and the Habs were therefore wearing their classic "away" red jerseys. It just looked so much better.

It would have been a blast to see the boys in the white helmets, white jerseys with blue and gold trim, blue pants and white striped socks and the Leafs in their "blues".

Maybe next year...(though I suppose even then, the Sabres home unis will be the all blue versions). Alas

I agree, for some reason I like the white jerseys to be the home ones. Maybe it's because I hate the Sabres black jerseys.

By the way for anyone going to the game tonight, if you are sitting in section 118 or 117 on the end you are in luck because I sat in 118 for Danny Gare night and all of the Sabres alumni came right down the aisle I was sitting on and I got to shake hands and talk with many of them. It was quite an experience

Why the hell is the pregame blacked out on MSG, along with the Lafontaine ceremonY????? On the "TV Guide Channel" it says its supposed to be on.....I am absolutely livid, this is bullsh*t. Right now the taped repeat "PokerStars II" is on my TV and not the damn ceremony. I HATE MSG, we need to get a new TV deal, because the Sabres are last in line all the time when it comes to that channel.

LA LA LALALA LA LALA FONTAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why the hell is the pregame blacked out on MSG, along with the Lafontaine ceremonY????? On the "TV Guide Channel" it says its supposed to be on.....I am absolutely livid, this is bullsh*t. Right now the taped repeat "PokerStars II" is on my TV and not the damn ceremony. I HATE MSG, we need to get a new TV deal, because the Sabres are last in line all the time when it comes to that channel.

Ya, I wanted those two morons playing poker put against a wall and shot!

LA LA LALALA LA LALA FONTAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, I wanted those two morons playing poker put against a wall and shot!

Hahaha yea I wanted to rip those gold chains off the one guy and strangle him. Well it SOUNDED cool since I had to listen to it on NHL.com game radio :angry: