Tavares

bottlecap

Sinking to the bottom of the standings has been a successful team strategy for many teams throughout sports: in hockey, it's Atlanta and Tampa Bay most prominently. I have a feeling (Pittsburgh) that the lotteries are somehow not on the level but if the Sabs keep on being a borderline team, barely missing/making the playoffs, they keep having to pull a rabbit out of the hat on draft day. And our draft choices have been mediocre. The Sabres are too honest of an organization. Only once out of nearly 40 years have they been dead last and drafted first. (Turgeon) They need a slam dunk draft pick or picks at this time. I wouldn't mind sinking to the bottom if the Sabres could get Tavares; he'd be worth it.

Sinking to the bottom of the standings has been a successful team strategy for many teams throughout sports: in hockey, it's Atlanta and Tampa Bay most prominently. I have a feeling (Pittsburgh) that the lotteries are somehow not on the level but if the Sabs keep on being a borderline team, barely missing/making the playoffs, they keep having to pull a rabbit out of the hat on draft day. And our draft choices have been mediocre. The Sabres are too honest of an organization. Only once out of nearly 40 years have they been dead last and drafted first. (Turgeon) They need a slam dunk draft pick or picks at this time. I wouldn't mind sinking to the bottom if the Sabres could get Tavares; he'd be worth it.

Define "worth it." To secure a Cup? It hasn't happened often. If you look back at first picks over the last 25 years, at first glance it appears only Tampa Bay (Lecavalier in 1998) and Pittsburgh (Mario in '84) parlayed that pick into a Cup. The rest of the teams are a bunch of woebegone bottom stragglers that literally can't win for losing. The Penguins and Capitals could change that trend in the next couple of years.

If worth it is getting to watch amazing talent like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby and the like, sure.

Define "worth it." To secure a Cup? It hasn't happened often. If you look back at first picks over the last 25 years, at first glance it appears only Tampa Bay (Lecavalier in 1998) and Pittsburgh (Mario in '84) parlayed that pick into a Cup. The rest of the teams are a bunch of woebegone bottom stragglers that literally can't win for losing. The Penguins and Capitals could change that trend in the next couple of years.

If worth it is getting to watch amazing talent like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby and the like, sure.

good points. for now, "Worth it" means watching good talent on our side for once...not sure if this management group has the resources, the stones or the brains that can put together a championship.

The Penguins and Capitals could change that trend in the next couple of years.

I don't know if you can really count the Penguins. They wouldn't be converting one #1 pick into a cup. They have:

2002: 5th overall - Ryan Whitney

2003: 1st overall - Marc-Andre Fleury

2004: 2nd overall - Evgeni Malkin

2005: 1st overall - Sidney Crosby

2006: 2nd overall - Jordan Stall

They sucked for a lot of years to get where they are now.

I don't know if you can really count the Penguins. They wouldn't be converting one #1 pick into a cup. They have:

And let's not forget a few other first round picks they dumped off last year to make their cup run (not early 1st rounders though:

Angelo Esposito- 20th in 2007

Colby Armstrong- 21st in 2001

The other thing I see looking at their drafts: my god their boards are college heavy.

And they still suck.

That was a bonus pick..They lucked into that one after the lockout...

And what if he's a bust? If i had the #1 overall pick, i'm going with Hedman.

Let me be the first to say. I'll trade our suck for their suck in an instant.

It's interesting to look at the standings approaching midseason and see the "disappointing" Sabres only three points behind the Pens. And only a modest winning streak away from taking a run at the fifth spot.

It's interesting to look at the standings approaching midseason and see the "disappointing" Sabres only three points behind the Pens. And only a modest winning streak away from taking a run at the fifth spot.

The Penguins, minus Whitney and Gonchar for most of the first half, minus Fleury for a good chunk of the season the Penguins whose general manager will actually make trades to improve his club. Yeah, I'll take the Penguins.

The Penguins, minus Whitney and Gonchar for most of the first half, minus Fleury for a good chunk of the season the Penguins whose general manager will actually make trades to improve his club. Yeah, I'll take the Penguins.

All teams have injuries. You can make the same case for the Sabres.

Teams that impress me are ones that can overcome. Look at Washington this year and the Sabres in 05-06.

If the Pens, with arguably the two top players in the league, are waiting for help to ride in on a white horse, it doesn't bode well for them.

All teams have injuries. You can make the same case for the Sabres.

Teams that impress me are ones that can overcome. Look at Washington this year and the Sabres in 05-06.

If the Pens, with arguably the two top players in the league, are waiting for help to ride in on a white horse, it doesn't bode well for them.

You are seriously telling me that a team with Roy, Hecht, Mair and Ellis at center is better? Pittsburgh isn't waiting for anything. They are in a little funk right now but will be just fine. By the way, the fact that the disappointing Sabres are only back of Pittsburgh is news but the "resilient" Capitals being only 5 ahead of Pittsburgh makes them worthy of praise?

You are seriously telling me that a team with Roy, Hecht, Mair and Ellis at center is better? Pittsburgh isn't waiting for anything. They are in a little funk right now but will be just fine. By the way, the fact that the disappointing Sabres are only back of Pittsburgh is news but the "resilient" Capitals being only 5 ahead of Pittsburgh makes them worthy of praise?

Why do you keep wanting to put words in my mouth?

Yeah, I think the Caps at 11 games over .500 with their injury problems are worthy of praise.

Re: Sabres dumping games to finish last and draft Tavares

If losing was the recipe for success, the Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals would have met in Super Bowl XLII

Re: Tavares

I'm still trying to figure out how he stole the puck off of the Czech player at the WJC to set up Esposito's goal in Canada's first game of the tourney.

If the NHL doesn't work out for Tavares he can look forward to a lucrative career as a pick-pocket.

The TSN commentators noted that much of Tavares goal-scoring success comes on the PP. ("All he does is score goals"). He doesn't appear to be as effective 5-on-5, which is likely why his draft rating has dropped with some scouts preferring defenseman Hedman from Sweden. Tavares has been touted as the #1 pick for two-three years now, so to see someone else emerge as a possible #1 pick is surprising to me.

Since the 6-0-2 start, the Sabres longest win streak is at 3 and that has happened once. Since that same start, they have had the following streaks...

0-2-0

0-1-1

0-5-0

0-3-0

0-1-2

So much for the team goal of not losing 2 games in a row this season.

January's schedule of 3 games at home and 10 on the road are going to make or break this team. The only saving grace is that the teams chasing the Sabres(Carolina, Florida, Toronto & Ottawa) aren't going anywhere real fast.

Two road games against division rivals

Jan 1 at Toronto 7:00 pm Buy Tickets MSG, LTV

Jan 3 at Boston 1:00 pm Buy Tickets MSG, NESN

Two home games out of three for the month

Jan 6 vs Ottawa 7:00 pm Buy Tickets RSN, MSG

Jan 9 vs NY Rangers 7:30 pm Buy Tickets MSG, MSG

Three game mid-west swing

Jan 10 at Detroit 7:00 pm Buy Tickets MSG, FSD

Jan 14 at Chicago 8:30 pm Buy Tickets MSG, CSNC

Jan 15 at Dallas 8:30 pm Buy Tickets MSG, FSSW

Last home game of the month

Jan 17 vs Carolina 7:00 pm Buy Tickets FSS, MSG