Ruff's position safe for now

carpandean

Interesting article: http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/11154568

Under most circumstances, the recent troubles would have a coach looking over his shoulder. Especially since 18 teams have changed their bench bosses in the last two seasons, including Peter Laviolette, who was dumped this week by Carolina despite winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.

But in Buffalo, there is apparently no such danger surrounding Lindy Ruff, who is the league's longest tenured coach. He is in his 12th season with the club. "More often than not, I think change has to do more with relieving tension than with the achievement of a goal," said Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier, who made Ruff one of his first hires when he took over in June 1997. "But Lindy is a good coach and a successful one and we're in this for the long run."

That's all well and good, but the part that bothers me is

Under most circumstances, the recent troubles would have a coach looking over his shoulder. Especially since 18 teams have changed their bench bosses in the last two seasons, including Peter Laviolette, who was dumped this week by Carolina despite winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.

But in Buffalo, there is apparently no such danger surrounding Lindy Ruff, who is the league's longest tenured coach. He is in his 12th season with the club. "More often than not, I think change has to do more with relieving tension than with the achievement of a goal," said Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier, who made Ruff one of his first hires when he took over in June 1997. "But Lindy is a good coach and a successful one and we're in this for the long run."

How much longer are we in this for? All Darcy preaches is long term, but what about short term? We don't need you coming out here and telling us Ruff isn't going anywhere. We know he isn't. What we need is for our GM to fricken do something. Stop talking to the press and go make a trade!

The only way Lindy goes is if he says he's had enough..He is a solid coach who knows how to get his team deep in the playoffs..He just doesnt have the talent to get there now..The front office is damn stubborn..Thats why they are where they are now..No other reason..

The only way Lindy goes is if he says he's had enough..He is a solid coach who knows how to get his team deep in the playoffs..He just doesnt have the talent to get there now..The front office is damn stubborn..Thats why they are where they are now..No other reason..

Yup.

Way too many guys of the same mold on the team, and way too buddy-buddy as they've pretty much all played together since they were drafted.

Yup.

Way too many guys of the same mold on the team, and way too buddy-buddy as they've pretty much all played together since they were drafted.

You know what really gets me is Darcy made that team that went to the ECF's through trades and drafting..He really did a great job..But then it was like he stopped playing the game..I really dont get it..It just doesnt make sense as to why he hasnt replaced positions that were lost and brought these guys up with some vets on the team to lead them till they proved they could take the reigns...It is so unlike his character...I have to believe he has been told to let the team run the course

You know what really gets me is Darcy made that team that went to the ECF's through trades and drafting..He really did a great job..But then it was like he stopped playing the game..I really dont get it..It just doesnt make sense as to why he hasnt replaced positions that were lost and brought these guys up with some vets on the team to lead them till they proved they could take the reigns...It is so unlike his character...I have to believe he has been told to let the team run the course

Hard to say, although is does seem suspicious.

I think the worst thing that ever happened to this team was the "New NHL".

Sure, we had a great two years, but it led some of these young kids to believe they were much better than they actually are, way too early in the their careers. And the fact that so many Amerks stepped up to fill-in for injured regulars hurt us immensely as well in the long run, as I'm sure this led management to believe they too were suddenly gods gift to drafting and development.

This entire organisation suffers from overconfidence from top to bottom.

Just look at some of the comments from the other night - They more than indicate that the players weren't really angry at themselves for losing, but rather just plain sour over losing to what they think was an inferior oppoent. It just hasn't dawned on them that that's exactly how other teams see them. As a team they play their backups against, or just a plain should-win game.

Nobody fears playing the Sabres at this point.

Hard to say, although is does seem suspicious.

I think the worst thing that ever happened to this team was the "New NHL".

Sure, we had a great two years, but it led some of these young kids to believe they were much better than they actually are, way too early in the their careers. And the fact that so many Amerks stepped up to fill-in for injured regulars hurt us immensely as well in the long run, as I'm sure this led management to believe they too were suddenly gods gift to drafting and development.

This entire organisation suffers from overconfidence from top to bottom.

Just look at some of the comments from the other night - They more than indicate that the players weren't really angry at themselves for losing, but rather just plain sour over losing to what they think was an inferior oppoent. It just hasn't dawned on them that that's exactly how other teams see them. As a team they play their backups against, or just a plain should-win game.

Nobody fears playing the Sabres at this point.

Well look at how they built that 05-06 team..Dumont came over in the gilmour trade for Grosek..Steal

Warrener for Drury..Steal

Gratton for Briere..Steal..

Nummenin fre agent..Great move

He made this team with trades and he hasnt helped us since

I dont remember what we gave up for grier but it wasnt much

What hurt this team was we didnt get one player for any of those that left for whatever reason..You cant let that happen..

Even if you couldnt afford those players they shouldve signed and traded them for some kind of asset..You cant tell me the Flyers and the Rangers wouldnt have traded a good young plaer for either of those 2 after what they shelled out for both..It really boggles my mind..No way those players shouldnt have at least been signed and dealt...

Was everyone not aware of Darcy's 15 year plan?

Unfortunately the Sabres already peaked in this plan smack dab in the middle of the 15 years. So now we are on the downside of said plan and Darcy won't be satisfied until we finish dead last.

"In it for the long run"????? What kind of dumbass statement is that? How about we want to win a Cup now and we feel that Lindy is still the best coach for that job and we will make sure to get him the right players to finish that job.

Darcy is more of a jackass than I originally thought and Quinn is a bigger jackass than Darcy.

Ruff is safe because Darcy says he's safe? Everyone has a boss, and Golisano is the boss. No way he writes all those huge checks, says he'll bite a microphone in half if they miss the playoffs (tantamount to an ultimatum) and not clean house if they miss the playoffs for the fifth time in seven years.

As for Ruff not having enough talent, please. Some of you guys make him out to be God's gift to coaching but don't think he can win without the 1985 Edmonton Oilers playing for him? He's won with these guys before. He gives his team no quarter, allows them no excuses, and so Ruff gets none in return.

Win, Lindy.

P.S. It'll be tough to convince me Lindy doesn't have a lot to say about who gets long-term contracts, who gets signed, who gets traded, who gets drafted, etc. I don't buy the notion that Lindy doesn't have the type of players he wants.

P.S. It'll be tough to convince me Lindy doesn't have a lot to say about who gets long-term contracts, who gets signed, who gets traded, who gets drafted, etc. I don't buy the notion that Lindy doesn't have the type of players he wants.

I don't believe this is the case at all, but who knows what is going on behind closed doors. If it is true, then Lindy is on a much shorter leash and if they don't get it turned around by the end of the year, Lindy may have to go.

PS When I say turned around, I don't mean the "we lost, but played well" games. That is a loser mentality.

That's all well and good, but the part that bothers me is

How much longer are we in this for? All Darcy preaches is long term, but what about short term? We don't need you coming out here and telling us Ruff isn't going anywhere. We know he isn't. What we need is for our GM to fricken do something. Stop talking to the press and go make a trade!

As in every election cycle...4 more years...4 more years...

Archived