Just Got Back From the Gerbe Signing....

sven233

Hey guys! I just got back from the Nathan Gerbe signing tonight and thought I would drop a note. There were not a ton of people there by any means and he signed our items and seemed like a great guy.

Anyway, while I was there, there was really nobody else around so I went and talked with him for a few minutes. One of the things we talked about was his jersey number (42). I know there was a big discussion on here a couple of weeks ago about what number he was going to wear, etc.. During our conversation I asked him how he came up with the number 42 and he told me that it was assigned to him and he is just wearing it for now. He said that none of the new players get to select their numbers until they officially make the team. I asked him if he would continue to be 42 or if he would change it if he got the chance and he told me that if and when he makes the team, he will "probably" change it. He didn't mention a number he would change it to, but he said he would most likely change it.

I just thought you guys might be interested to hear that. Overall, he was a great guy. We didn't get to talk long, but he was real nice during the conversation, took a picture with my sister and was just an all around good guy.

PS. He did sign the autograph with the number 42. So, maybe it will grow on him over time and he will keep it. But, I doubt it. Either way, though, it will be a great item to have from his first season in the NHL/AHL and will be a cool piece to have whether or not he keeps the number. Hopefully he will become a star in this league. I have been watching him for several years now and I know the talent, heart, and passion for the game is there so I am expecting big things!

Overall a fun time and a great guy to meet and talk to!

Did he stand on a step stool to sign it? /sarcasm off.

We do expect big things from the little man.

Cool :thumbsup:

You know, he did stand up and leaned over the table to take a picture with my sister. My sister is only about 5'2" or so and he was a little taller. I am 6' and based on what I could gauge, I would bet that the 5'5" he is listed is not WAY off. He is probably about 5'4" or so. He wasn't standing straight up taking the picture and he was taller than my sister, so I can confirm for a fact that he is at least 5'4" or so!

Height aside, he is built very solid. I can see why he is such a good skater. I do expect good things out of him in the future. Very cool guy.

So, a 1972 Ford Pinto has a mass of about 1200 kilograms. Written as 1.2E-39 times 10^42. Therefore a 1972 Ford Pinto is the answer to the universe. Gerbe is now named "Pinto bean" pisstttt pass it on....

Pin-to Bean

Pin-to Bean

Pin-to bean

He scoooooooooooorrrrrrrrressssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the Sabres win in ooooooovvertimmme!

I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.

So much I could say but I sense the force is strong in you ... :worthy:

and I'd probably make an A$$ out of myself :bag:

Interesting fact: Derek Roy wore #14 in Kitchener and #21 for the Amerks, but he wore #9 for the Sabres in preseason 2002 (I have the game worn jersey to prove it, as well as the photo that it was matched to.) He didn't play in Rochester until another year after that.

Not too sure why he picked #14 in OHL, but he couldn't wear #9 in Rochester because it is retired.

Back to the topic, i heard he really wants a 9. I really think he hasn't picked a number yet officially because he was waiting to see if 19 would become available, and since it hasn't, my guess is he'll be #91.

Not too sure why he picked #14 in OHL, but he couldn't wear #9 in Rochester because it is retired.

Back to the topic, i heard he really wants a 9. I really think he hasn't picked a number yet officially because he was waiting to see if 19 would become available, and since it hasn't, my guess is he'll be #91.

Ah yes, how could I forget Gamble and Gage (OK, Gamble was a bit before my time, but I do remember watching Mr. 5 O'clock Shadow play in many games when I was a kid and then some.)

91 would be a good number. He'd be the first Sabre to wear it.

So much I could say but I sense the force is strong in you ... :worthy:

and I'd probably make an A$$ out of myself :bag:

Do or do not. There is no try.

Words Gerbe lives by, today. Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?

my hope is that he finds his way to #49 -- as i stated in the OFFICIAL "what # will nathan gerbe wear thread", #49 has the distinction of being the lowest ordinal # that has never been worn by a sabre, and, as chance would have it, is also the number that comes after the # worn by gerbe's predecessor-midget.

my hope is that he finds his way to #49 -- as i stated in the OFFICIAL "what # will nathan gerbe wear thread", #49 has the distinction of being the lowest ordinal # that has never been worn by a sabre, and, as chance would have it, is also the number that comes after the # worn by gerbe's predecessor-midget.

Well, you're half right (about who said it):

but wouldn't there be some potential poetry if gerbe wore #49? after all, our last super shifty midget wore #48.
Interesting point about #49: it's the lowest number never worn by a Sabre (see here.)

:thumbsup:

Do or do not. There is no try.

Words Gerbe lives by, today. Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?

Nerd

Ahhh, I miss the days when the number 49 actually had meaning for a BC player.

i need a little help on that one ... and probably some more coffee.

all i can come up with without the aid of google is the miner 49er lore, louisiana lightning (i think he wore #49) and the 49th parallel.

i need a little help on that one ... and probably some more coffee.

all i can come up with without the aid of google is the miner 49er lore, louisiana lightning (i think he wore #49) and the 49th parallel.

Why do I remember you saying you went to BC at some point? Anyway, the year 1949 had a lot of meaning to them right up until 2001.

Why do I remember you saying you went to BC at some point?

most likely because i said (typed) something to that effect. ;)

(and i typed it because i did in fact go to bc for undergrad, some moons ago (think the era of emma (there's a guy who'd have done some damage in a "new" nhl), guerin, heinz, legrand (and even greg brown)).

Anyway, the year 1949 had a lot of meaning to them right up until 2001.

gotcha - the length of the drought wasn't something i ever internalized, i guess (although i whooped and hollered pretty good when we ended it against the sioux). thanks for the reminder.

Nerd

Quotes came from the internet. I looked them up after two members were joking around about "the force."

I think both quotes are good for Gerbe. He's hard working and he is a small hockey player/person.

On a side note, the movies are good. I watch them MAYBE twice a year.

Archived