GDT- Buffalo vs. Minnesota Sunday 9/28

LabattBlue

Per the Buffalo News, here is how the lines looked in the morning skate...

Paille-Gaustad-Stafford

MacArthur-Hecht-Pominville

Gerbe-Kennedy-Afinogenov

Mancari-Zagrapan-Gogulla.

The defensemen dressing will be Butler, Jaroslav Spacek, Craig Rivet, Henrik Tallinder, Andrej Sekera and Mike Weber.

Lalime will be in goal.

How did Tyler Myers look against the Leafs?

Like he has a lot of potential, but isn't nearly ready for the NHL yet. We knew that. He's 18 (I think) and will fill out his frame even more. Plus, he needs to build up to the speed and ability level of the NHL game. He is definitely high on the potential scale, but it will be a while before he reaches that potential. I'd say that he won't be wearing the blue and gold full time until 2011-12, maybe 2010-11.

Well, that's disappointing. We'd have gotten a point tonight, but it doesn't matter. The penalty kill has not been very good the last two nights giving up three powerplay goals. Again, I realize that this is not the full team, but I'd like to see them close out a game with the lead. Sounds like Lalime played a solid game tonight save for the one goal. In terms of the shootout, I'm not too shocked with who Lindy put out there as he wanted to put the kids out there to have some fun. I'd have liked to see Pommer going out there and score with his quick wrist shot, which seems to be effective in the shootout. Oh well. I'm looking forward to the regular season.

By the way, anyone know what happened to Gaustad and Paille? Also sounds like Gaustad dropped Bergeron, anyone have footage of that?

Well, that's disappointing. We'd have gotten a point tonight, but it doesn't matter. The penalty kill has not been very good the last two nights giving up three powerplay goals. Again, I realize that this is not the full team, but I'd like to see them close out a game with the lead. Sounds like Lalime played a solid game tonight save for the one goal. In terms of the shootout, I'm not too shocked with who Lindy put out there as he wanted to put the kids out there to have some fun. I'd have liked to see Pommer going out there and score with his quick wrist shot, which seems to be effective in the shootout. Oh well. I'm looking forward to the regular season.

By the way, anyone know what happened to Gaustad and Paille? Also sounds like Gaustad dropped Bergeron, anyone have footage of that?

I don't know if I'd call that a real PP goal against since Spacek "cleared" it past Lalime. We haven't had Roy, Pommer, Hecht, Paille, Gaustad, etc., all on the same team, so I'm sure that our PK will be much better during the season.

On the shootout, I was glad to see Lindy give the kids to opportunity. The two guys that scored for the Wild are veterans in their 30's, while our oldest shooter was MacArthur at 23.

Would have liked to see Gerbe score in the SO. He needs to take full advantage of these opportunities if he wants to stay up.

I listened to the SO. RJ said he got poke checked before he could shoot. Welcome to the NHL rook.

Would have liked to see Gerbe score in the SO. He needs to take full advantage of these opportunities if he wants to stay up.

I listened to the SO. RJ said he got poke checked before he could shoot. Welcome to the NHL rook.

I was at the game last night. gerbe had him beat but decided to make an extra move and go checked. He looked good though, pretty even between getting the beatdown and dishing it out.

Went to the game at the last minute...

-Lalime was really solid. No big rebounds, solid positional play and made some really good saves.

-Gerbe didn't impress me, but it was only one game. I didn't see anything negative because of his size, just nothing that stood out.

-Kennedy on the other hand surprised me with several nice checks along the boards and a couple of nice scoring opportunities.

-On the blueline, I don't recall any "WTF moments" from Butler, Weber and Sekera, but Tallinder continues to be weak along the board in terms of clearing the puck. Last year people blamed this on his wrist injury, I wonder what the excuse will be this year. He is just begging to be a whipping boy this year. One thing on Weber...In the 3rd period, it looked like he wanted to challenge someone(I didn't catch the number), but the guy wanted no part of it. I think the Sabres are in good shape on the blueline with Sekera, Weber, Butler in the pro ranks and Myers, Brennan, etc... in the pipeline.

-I really want to find something positive to say about Zagrapan...

-Mancari is useless. He is a big guy with a great shot who is too slow and doesn't want to be physical.

-I really liked Paille's play before he got hurt.

-I don't know if it was a typical "LeMaire" game, but for long periods of the game it was a snoozefest.

-By the way, this shoveling of the ice during the game is out of control. It seems like they were out there every 10 seconds.

-Lalime was really solid. No big rebounds, solid positional play and made some really good saves.

-Gerbe didn't impress me, but it was only one game. I didn't see anything negative because of his size, just nothing that stood out.

-Kennedy on the other hand surprised me with several nice checks along the boards and a couple of nice scoring opportunities.

-On the blueline, I don't recall any "WTF moments" from Butler, Weber and Sekera, but Tallinder continues to be weak along the board in terms of clearing the puck. Last year people blamed this on his wrist injury, I wonder what the excuse will be this year. He is just begging to be a whipping boy this year. One thing on Weber...In the 3rd period, it looked like he wanted to challenge someone(I didn't catch the number), but the guy wanted no part of it. I think the Sabres are in good shape on the blueline with Sekera, Weber, Butler in the pro ranks and Myers, Brennan, etc... in the pipeline.

-Mancari is useless. He is a big guy with a great shot who is too slow and doesn't want to be physical.

-I don't know if it was a typical "LeMaire" game, but for long periods of the game it was a snoozefest.

-By the way, this shoveling of the ice during the game is out of control. It seems like they were out there every 10 seconds.

I agree with everything here, but to add I thought that Tallinder and Rivet looked pretty good together, talking it up and seemed to be on the same page during the game.

I was at the game as well. All excellent points (or obvious ;) ). Kennedy was one of the best players on the ice. You are spot on about Mancari--I was actually mentioning to my buddy, imagine if Mancari was fast enough to play in the NHL. What a boost it would be for our team in terms of size and physical play on the RW. But no, he is likely a career minor leaguer.

Max was back to his typical self...giving the puck away, doing nothing. He had one good play on a sick move to draw a penalty, but besides that....blah...just blah.

Zagrapan is nearing bust status. He did nothing to help his chances.

Chris Butler--were you surprised by his speed? I was. There was one play where he went end-to-end with the puck and got a shot on goal. I was shocked to see that from him. He may have potential to be that transition guy to carry the puck out of our zone. It was a pretty solid game by the D overall...no brain farts. I guess that's what to expect when Lydman isn't in the lineup.

Archived