Center Ice Package

vasabresfan

I could use a little help from any of you folks "in the know" about the Center Ice Package. I think I am finally going to take the plunge this year but would appreciate any help/guidance/experiences (positive or negative) that you can offer.

1) When will the Center Ice Package be available for ordering? I have Comcast but it doesn't look like it is available yet.

2) How much does it usually cost?

3) Will I get all the Sabres games or just some? If some, about how many?

4) How does a blackout affect the availability of games? I live in the Capitals' territory. When they have a game, does that mean all others are blacked out due to some sort of exclusivity agreement? The only blackouts I am familiar with are NFL for the Bills. For those, it didn't mean that didn't have games to watch, it just meant that they wouldn't be the Bills. The FAQ on blackouts on the Comcast page made it seem different than that. I don't want to buy the package to find out that I can't watch most or any of the games.

5) Which feed would I get? Do I get RJ for most games (home broadcast)? That would be great.

6) Are all/most of the games in HD? I hate to be an HD snob and would still watch, but once you see hockey in HD, regular signal is so disappointing.

I get it on DirecTV. And, I've had it for as long as it's been available.

1) You can check on your Comcast website under sports packages and it should say. You can also check on NHL.com. I know for DirecTV that the CI package hasn't been billed yet but I'm sure it will be on the next bill.

NHL.com CI page

2) DirecTV is now offereing the early bird special at 4 installments of $40 bucks. I would definitely go with early bird if you've decided. I think it's similar to the ones cable companies will offer as I think the prices are controlled by the NHL so they don't have much leeway to charge other prices.

3) You get all the Sabres games if you don't live in WNY. But then you wouldn't really need CI if you lived in the region. All the games that are on broadcast anyways. However, you may not always get the MSG feed. Since last year they have at times broadcast both feeds but on busy nights you mostly get on or the other.

4) I think if they are playing the Caps, you'll either have to go to the Cap Center or whereever they play now, watch on local TV, or listen to the radio. Otherwise, you'll get all the games.

5) See 3.

6) This I'm not so sure about as I still don't have an HDTV (woman would rather get a new car than let me get an HDTV first darn her...sssshhhh...don't say I said anything). But, you do get some games in HD. MSG is broadcasting more games in HD so you should get those as my bro is always getting to watch it in HD. However, the HD is slightly lags behind the lo-def signal as there's more bits/bytes to transfer I think.

Hope this helps.

1. Just keep looking. It will become available soon enough.

2. I want to say something around $129 for the season, but I forget.

3. If a Sabres game is televised, you should get it. There are only a few occasions where that doesn't happen. If a game is on the NHL network or Vs., Center Ice doesn't get it.

4. All Capitals games will be blacked out in their market. All other games are televised regardless of the Capitals schedule. So when the Sabres play the Caps, you'll have to watch the local broadcast.

5. Since you have cable, only one feed is available. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which feed is selected, but you should probably end up with MSG for maybe half of the season.

6. There is no HD for the Center Ice package on cable. Well, there wasn't last year and I doubt that will change.

Yeah. I had CI on cable once but never again. I'm sticking with DirecTV as they give you more it seems. Also, at least as I noticed on my cable provider (Cox...that is an appropriate name for their service), that they usually chop of the feed as soon as the game braodcast is done. On DTV, they usually let you watch the Lexus shootout. But, since they aren't doing it after road games this year, you'll only miss half if Comcast is as sucky as Cox...I've heard they are suckier. But, you can get all that stuff from Sabres.com this year apparently if they put it up to what they are yappin about with the expanded multimedia web content this season.

I could use a little help from any of you folks "in the know" about the Center Ice Package. I think I am finally going to take the plunge this year but would appreciate any help/guidance/experiences (positive or negative) that you can offer.

1) When will the Center Ice Package be available for ordering? I have Comcast but it doesn't look like it is available yet.

2) How much does it usually cost?

3) Will I get all the Sabres games or just some? If some, about how many?

4) How does a blackout affect the availability of games? I live in the Capitals' territory. When they have a game, does that mean all others are blacked out due to some sort of exclusivity agreement? The only blackouts I am familiar with are NFL for the Bills. For those, it didn't mean that didn't have games to watch, it just meant that they wouldn't be the Bills. The FAQ on blackouts on the Comcast page made it seem different than that. I don't want to buy the package to find out that I can't watch most or any of the games.

5) Which feed would I get? Do I get RJ for most games (home broadcast)? That would be great.

6) Are all/most of the games in HD? I hate to be an HD snob and would still watch, but once you see hockey in HD, regular signal is so disappointing.

1. You should be able to order it now ... call and ask, usually there is an early order discount ... maybe only $10 or $20 off but worth it.

2. I think it is like $149 but $129 if you order early ... somewhere around there.

3. The games on Versus/NBC are not on Center Ice ... other than that, I think MAYBE 2 or 3 games since the lockout have not been on ... MAYBE. Essentially, you are getting every game.

4. They will blackout Caps games so that you have to watch them on the local station ... so if the Sabres play the Caps, you will not watch it on Center Ice, you'll have to watch on Comcast.

5. Couple years ago it was the Sabres feed probabaly 75% of the time ... now it seems about 50-50 ... location doesn't seem to be what determines it, seems to be the opponent and carrier ... like, most likely if it is a TSN game, you will get TSN ....

6. HD is also hit or miss ... I don't have it yet because I have been too lazy to call (I know, dumb) so I haven't paid much attention but ... more and more games every year in HD ... it's such a good deal for the price I would not let this stop you.

I really wish the NHL Network would be involved in the mix somehow.

Comcast did piss me off last year with about 4 games blacked out. Some were against Toronto in Buffalo, and a few others were Versus involved but Versus aired a different game for our area. We would have to check some GDT's to get my blood to boil again. :)

As far as I know, there is no HD availiable yet for the Center Ice package. At least not for me. (Comcast/Massachusetts)

I had Comcast last year, and purchased CI. You would think that the NHL network is included in CI, but it isn't.

So I called to complain so many times, and threatened to leave for DirectTV, that they just gave it to me for free.

Lesson learned: EVERYTHING with cable/satellite providers is a negotiation.

This is all from Time Warner point of view not comcast but -

Center Ice is the best thing i've ever ordered. Alot of the announcers stink and you don't get pre and post-game shows but many games are from Sportsnet in Canada, TSN or CBC. Each Saturday night, CBC has Hockey night in Canada, pre-game show, 2 games and a post-game show. There is almost nothing better, then to watch the Sabres at like 7 on a Saturday night and then after the post game put on CI for the CBC game.

TSN used to air a Wednesday game, although i don't know if they have the deal for it this year, it used to be US team vs. US team, and CI would still show the TSN feed.

Time Warner last season aired at MOST 1 HD game a night. Never more. Sometimes none. But they were the same with baseball on extra innings. This MLB season, they had 2 per night, every night. Now, since it's end of the season, they are showing sometimes up to 4 HD games a night. They say hockey will be the same.

And i already ordered my center ice on Time Warner. I'm ready to go!

Thanks for all the help, fellas. I will give them a ring this week to see if it is available yet.

And Frisky, as for your wife's new car, tell her that with gas prices as they are, it would be better for her to walk, ride a bike, or take a bus to work. Then, with all that extra money, you head on down to Best Buy and get that big ol' HD you've got your eye on!

In all seriousness, it's worth it. Much to my surprise, my wife loves the HD even more than me. Take your wife to a friend's house who has HD and make her watch a few of her favorite shows. You'll have one by the weekend!

On top of that, hockey in HD is spectacular-- almost like being there. It's so much easier to follow the puck (traditionally the big knock on why hockey doesn't translate well to TV). The uniforms jump off the screen and the players are right in the room with you (minus the hockey stink, of course). I really wanted to be at the Winter Classic, but from 600 miles away, it was as if that snow was falling in my family room. It truly was the most memorable game I have ever watched on TV.

I have a love-hate affair with DirecTV and CI. They are the only game in town and their service is spotty. I love the fact that I get all the Sabres games here in MD (even the Caps, although I have to go to CSN for those). Many nights last season, the sound wasn't synched with the video. They were late getting the signal on the air, etc. Inexcusable technical glitching. And most maddening, they cut the signal immediately after the game. No post game shows unless it is an accident, ie programming glitch.

Having said all that, I'm signed up again and the NFL package too...

So does anyone have the sports package on Direct? If so approx. how many games would that cover? I figure if it covers a good chunk of them then I would get more sports programming and post game stuff if they are on TV. Don't know if anyone has this info but it would be helpful. I can't wait for hockey to start!

Sports package gives you MOST of the regional US sports channels. I know Comcast Philly isn't included, not sure which other ones.

Preseason games that are shown on a regional have not been blacked out in the past, but all regular season games (NHL and MLB, probably NBA as well (don't follow it and don't care)) that originate outside your normal viewing area get blacked out. Being in WNY, I'd get the MSG Sabres alternate feed w/out the sports package but I wouldn't get Anaheim games w/out CI even w/ sports package.

You'll get most pre/post game shows w/ the sports package, but I don't believe that you'd get the Sabres pre/post game shows because the arrangement w/ MSG pretty much only allows those to be shown in WNY. That's my understanding of it; somebody living outside WNY should be able to confirm whether that is true or not.

So, if you are thinking about getting it for NHL games / Sabres pre/post games, it probably doesn't meet your needs. If you want to be able to see the Bruins' pregame on a night they're playing the Sabres, you will get that.

Where the Sports package is really nice is you get almost all the college football games w/out needing to get the special ESPN college package. You also get a fair amount of college hockey. Where it's kind of useless is, you get about 35 channels worth of Best Darn Sports Show. 1 channel is usually more than you need/want for that one.

So does anyone have the sports package on Direct? If so approx. how many games would that cover? I figure if it covers a good chunk of them then I would get more sports programming and post game stuff if they are on TV. Don't know if anyone has this info but it would be helpful. I can't wait for hockey to start!

short answer... You would get ZERO out of market games with the sports package, they are all blacked out.

FWIW, a general comment on DirecTV's service:

As anyone who watched the Browns-Stillers game Sunday saw, we got the brunt of what was left of Ike starting late Sunday afternoon and it stayed until around 11:30 or so Sunday night. Our DirecTV dish, which is situated on our balcony and bolted in pretty tight - was actually shaking back-and-forth in the high winds, but with that and the trees whipping back and forth we never lost the signal once.

Now the quality of their crappy DVR is another complaint for another time...

I live in the DC area also (Va.) and I would recommend nothing but Direct TV!! I've had Cox Cable, and this other crappy cable they have and it doesnt even compare. I don't think Comcast has the NHL network...go with direct tv...the HD is awesome.

The only bad thing is that you don't get any pregame or postgame coverage......unless you buy the extra sports package (I think $12 extra dollars/month)..

Center Ice is the best money anyone could ever spend. It costs more to go to a single Sabres game than it costs for a whole season of Center Ice. I got Center Ice for the 1st time last season and I'm letting it renew this year.

Just where exactly do you sit?

My seats are about $32/game. CI is a BIT more than that. (And I do agree that CI is worth the price.)

Just where exactly do you sit?

My seats are about $32/game. CI is a BIT more than that. (And I do agree that CI is worth the price.)

I would wager he's talking about the total cost of the Sabres game experience - probably two tickets (not in the cheap seats) gas, parking, food, beer - and it comes out closer to the cost of an entire season of CI. It could be more depending on the seat location.

Then again, one platinum or gold 100 Level II seat is pretty close in price to the entire season of CI, so I see what he's getting at.

For cryin' out loud Center Ice is absolutely cheaper than a game for me! We are a family of four and we can't go anywhere for under $100 it seems. Not only that, but if we're buying Center Ice, you can be sure that we live out of town and therefore can add the cost of travel to and from a game.

We do try to get to at least one game a season...either back home or when the Sabres come to Columbus, but after what I just spent at the Ashland County Fair tonight...CI is quite the deal!

I have Comcast (Florida) and I get the baseball and hockey package. One thing they started doing this year with the Baseball package is home/away feeds. I know DirectTV started this as well, but where I live, Comcast just started initiating this about half way through the baseball season. I'm assuming (and praying like hell) that this will carry over to Hockey. Now it wasn't for all of the games, and really, not even half, but it's a start.

The other thing I noticed during the Baseball season was next to the channel listings for games being aired that particular day. Some of the games had "HD" posted next to them. I have the HD package, so I call Comcast to find out how to get those games in HD, as they weren't airing as such. The person I spoke with of course had no idea what I was talking about and went on to say they did not offer any sports packages in HD. I plan on looking into this some more. There HAS to be a reason why "HD" would be listed with the daily schedule. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with them.

Archived