Something old, something new, something ...

carpandean

So, I'm sure most of you know that when the off-season drags on and I get bored, I draw up uniforms. The "updated" third jersey got me thinking.

Though the history of royal blue is there, I like the navy and even the addition of silver in the new jersey. For some reason, I also like the white under-arm white "horns" on the new jersey. Of course, there's a lot that I like about the classic jerseys, too, but I don't think I have to tell anyone here about those.

With that, I give you "my something old, something new" jersey concept:

post-1053-1219986604_thumbjpg

(Home)

post-1053-1219986617_thumbjpg

(Away - version 1)

post-1053-1220023463_thumbjpg

(Away - version 2)

Flame away! :thumbsup:

I like the 1st 2.

How would they look w/ the bottom stripes curving downward to follow the cut of the jersey? The one thing I don't like about your ones (and I have this same complaint about ALL the ones w/ traditional stripes around the bottom part of the jersey) is that the stripes make the bottom portion of the shirt look like a diaper. If the stripes followed the jersey more, I'm not sure how they would look, but the "diaper" would be gone.

Overall, good job.

Taro, I don't know why, but you are right about the hem striping not following the cut of the jersey. For some reason they go with horizontal stripes on a dipping hemline. They don't follow it as Carp has them doing.

Carp, I am sorry, but I am not really fond of these. First off, I am not a fan of the All-Star jersey cut you used. That is obviously just an opinion thing.

Second, the piping running vertical on the body clashes with your horizontal striping. I think you have to choose one or the other.

Lastly, the sleeves are way too busy. You have a curved cuff design, two colors of piping and some straight striping. Most of the stripes would get lost in the gloves as well.

With a little more work these could be great. Nice start.

Much better. I still think the sleeve cuffs are too busy. The curved cuff area without the stripes looks great but then the hem stripes don't fit. I think, in my opinion of course, you need to make the shoulder yoke end above the numbers and have just the stripes on the sleeves to make it all work. Also, the stripes should be in the same order as the hem stripes. I cannot tell if you have silver in the crest (I know you are using paint and it is not the clearest) but if you are, perhaps add the silver into the stripe pattern at the hem and sleeves.

Personally I still think it needs a bit of work, however it is better than the original set you posted.

I'll have to think about the rest, but on this point, it's an historical tribute:

post-1053-1220073638_thumbjpg

Though, I did somehow flip them all ...

So, maybe one of these:

post-1053-1220074131_thumbjpg

Its really too bad you don't somehow work for the front office or have any sort of say in the jersey design for the actual team. Those are pretty nice bud. I too like the new jersey's but despise the new logo and how it looks on them. Nice job borrowing a bit from the classic sabres and adding a few nice additions.

WHY did we not go back to the original logo???????

Pick an excuse -- it was "too iconic" to update; the design of the new jerseys eliminated any possibility of circular logos; the team/Rbk/league or some combination of the three wanted something more modern to entice younger fans...

Pick an excuse -- it was "too iconic" to update; the design of the new jerseys eliminated any possibility of circular logos; the team/Rbk/league or some combination of the three wanted something more modern to entice younger fans...

How about, "It was too iconically round to entice younger fans, according to the team/RBK/league"?

What continues to piss me off is how Golisano and Quinn lied to the fans after he bought the team. Remember the last day of the regular season in 2002-03? The Sabres skated out in the old unies and Rj said, reading from an approved script, I'm sure, "A touch of back to the future?" The implication was clear.

What continues to piss me off is how Golisano and Quinn lied to the fans after he bought the team. Remember the last day of the regular season in 2002-03? The Sabres skated out in the old unies and Rj said, reading from an approved script, I'm sure, "A touch of back to the future?" The implication was clear.

I still have the buffalo news article from that game hanging on my bedroom wall at my parent's house. Adam Mair was on the cover of the sports section. We played the Devils I believe. What a tease. :wallbash:

Same idea, a little different execution:

post-1053-1220237487_thumbjpg

It's hard to see, but there is silver thread around each stripe (I think that is borrowed from SW's third jersey concept drawing.)

DRutka's, not mine.

The white jersey to the right looks great, though I still think you need to lose that blue piping around that curved white cuff with the striping added. Drop that and I think you have a really awesome (RBK-pattern approved) update of the original.

The blue, not so much. I still can't get passed the gold cuffs and white armpits. I'd love to see you pull it off somehow, but they just don't mesh (imo) with the stripes. Get rid of the cuffs and armpits and you end up with (99% likely) almost exactly what we will have as a third this year.

DRutka's, not mine.

The white jersey to the right looks great, though I still think you need to lose that blue piping around that curved white cuff with the striping added. Drop that and I think you have a really awesome (RBK-pattern approved) update of the original.

The blue, not so much. I still can't get passed the gold cuffs and white armpits. I'd love to see you pull it off somehow, but they just don't mesh (imo) with the stripes. Get rid of the cuffs and armpits and you end up with (99% likely) almost exactly what we will have as a third this year.

Ah yes, that's right. Sorry to DR.

For the whites: not that you can tell from a MS Paint drawing, but the blue is a stripe (albeit a bendy one), not piping. The only piping is the silver. I went back-and-forth with removing it. You lose a little of the edge to the silver "horn", but it would probably work better in real life than in a drawing.

For the blues: on the current jersey, it's 50/50 blue and yellow going into the cuff and a lot of it would, as you said, get lost in the gloves. However, I think it's a matter of personal taste. Here's a variation that you might like better (blues and whites):

post-1053-1220281819_thumbjpg

Ah yes, that's right. Sorry to DR.

For the whites: not that you can tell from a MS Paint drawing, but the blue is a stripe (albeit a bendy one), not piping. The only piping is the silver. I went back-and-forth with removing it. You lose a little of the edge to the silver "horn", but it would probably work better in real life than in a drawing.

For the blues: on the current jersey, it's 50/50 blue and yellow going into the cuff and a lot of it would, as you said, get lost in the gloves. However, I think it's a matter of personal taste. Here's a variation that you might like better (blues and whites):

post-1053-1220281819_thumbjpg

These are looking very good. I truly believe I and most "traditionalist" fans would have been extremely happy with these. I really like the white jersey on the right of the two and the blue looks like a very good update to the classic. Good work, Carp.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived