[OT] Parents warn your teens about driving safely...

LabattBlue

What a sad story. Parents, always warn your kids about not only driving safely, but being aware of the driving habits of friends. I went by the scene of the crash today...not only was the car passing over a double yellow line, the accident took place within a stones throw of the WS police station on a road where the speed limit is 30 or 35. I can only imagine how fast they were going.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/sout...ory/421227.html

:( :(

terrible... I had a friend that hit a tree, head on, going between 70-100mph the day before his high school graduation. He lived through the night and died the next day at approximately the same time that he would have walked. Teenagers, especially boys, behind the wheel is a scary thing. There's just something about us that wants to push the envelope.

Teenagers, especially boys, behind the wheel is a scary thing. There's just something about us that wants to push the envelope.

This is something that I have discussed with my brother and one of my friends who are both high school teachers. When I got my license the only car that I had was either my mothers van or my fathers pick up truck. In either case, it's pretty hard to look cool.

This being said, this is the main point of what we were talking about. Kids that have parents that buy them any type of car that they want have to know that they are going to more than likely want a flash new sports car of some type or a big SUV. By giving into this, this changes the children's perception of how they look at themselves and how other perceive them. In this perception, they feel like that have to act a certain way or do a certain thing (along the same lines as cliques in HS).

I know plenty of my friends and myself who have had nothing but POS cars growing up and knew, stay to the right, use your signals, don't try passing people with double lines or dashes for that matter. One of my friends had a dodge colt threw most of high school and in his senior year, his parents bought him a brand new eclipse as an early grad present. Totaled it the same afternoon and he was lucky to not have suffered major injury.

When you know that you are better off being safe than being cool you have a better chance of not doing something that can cost you your or someone else's life.

I'll take a teenager texting, smoking, and eating a big mac while trying to drive stick rather than most elderly drivers. Reaction time of a sloth...

Don't teens still have more accidents than old people? It seems like at least the old farts recognize their limitations and drive as such.

Teenagers, especially girls, behind the wheel is a scary thing. There's just something about them that prevents any sort of concentration on driving.

Fixed it for ya. Nothing scarier than a bimbo 16 year old girl in a neon with 5 other girls chattering like squirrels, texting, and paying zero attention to the road around them. Teenage boys are aware what they're doing is stupid. Teenage girls are completely oblivious.

Just a few years ago i had to be woken up by my brother, at 7am, to tell me my 2 friends have been killed. Two of my better friends. It happened the night of the upset game of Vermont vs. Syracuse in NCAA tournament. My buddy who was attending UB at the time, came back home and wanted to watch it, so i canceled my plans to hang out with my 2 friends and went with him, and few others to Buffalo Wild Wings in Henrietta. After the game, my friends went to a bar. After the Cuse loss, me and my friend didn't want to party, decided to skip the bar. We had a DD and went over to these girls house. Drank and watched a movie. On our way home, around 3-4am, we kept stopping over for ambulances and police cars in our town, atleast 3 times. Our DD dropped me home and i passed out. I was hammered. My brother wasn't home. He was a fire fighter. After it all was over, my brother came home crying. There was phone calls on my cell from other friends. He woke me up. I was in a state of shock. Couldn't believe it. To this day, i warn and pray nobody ever drinks and drives. I know, i did it when i was younger, until this night. I will never forget that night. I will never forget it. Worse days of my life. Don't drink and drive. It's truly not worth it. I learned it the hard way on March 19th, 2005.

R.I.P. Adam and Chad.

It turns out they do have a website for everything... :blink:

The boomers are coming! The boomers are coming!

By 2030, 1 out of 4 drivers will be 65 or older and 25% of those will be cognitively impaired, those people are 7.5 times more likely to cause an accident, even more than drunk drivers.

Makes you want to take the bus.

The boomers are coming! The boomers are coming!

By 2030, 1 out of 4 drivers will be 65 or older and 25% of those will be cognitively impaired, those people are 7.5 times more likely to cause an accident, even more than drunk drivers.

Makes you want to take the bus.

Awesome - in 2030 I'll still be on the outside of that age group! Thanks for the smile, chz!

Anyway - in 2030 we should be flying around in these, while the boomers stay on the ground and crash into one another.

post-327-1219936459_thumbjpg

This might be harsh, but oh well. Maybe we should stop referring to these events as "sad" or "tragedies" and start calling them what they are: "stupidities." It almost seems like these situations are romanticized in the media and in the community -- the flickering candles, the memorials, the canceled classes, the grief counselors, the retrospectives in the media about how wonderful the kids are, on and on. It's well known that young guys especially can have almost a death wish mentality. I wonder if the response to these stupidities feeds into the problem. If kids could see adults responding differently, know that they will be scorned and not celebrated -- and I'm certainly not talking about how the family should react -- maybe it would deter the behavior that leads to many of these crashes. End of incoherent rant.

This might be harsh, but oh well. Maybe we should stop referring to these events as "sad" or "tragedies" and start calling them what they are: "stupidities." It almost seems like these situations are romanticized in the media and in the community -- the flickering candles, the memorials, the canceled classes, the grief counselors, the retrospectives in the media about how wonderful the kids are, on and on. It's well known that young guys especially can have almost a death wish mentality. I wonder if the response to these stupidities feeds into the problem. If kids could see adults responding differently, know that they will be scorned and not celebrated -- and I'm certainly not talking about how the family should react -- maybe it would deter the behavior that leads to many of these crashes. End of incoherent rant.

Harsh if you blame everyone for being stupid.

But you have a good point. You're stupid if you drive or drive with someone that is drunk out of their mind, or just doesn't drive safe. I've been in that situation. I've taken cabs home because my driver was trashed and they refused to not drive.

The driver has control of the vehicle and the people in it. If the driver is not comfortable with the passengers actions (yelling, distracting behavior, etc) they should kick them out of the car and visa-versa. Much of the candle lighting is for the passengers or pedestrians that got killed by the driver being drunk, stupid, etc.

I can see your point.

It really pisses me off when something like this happens and somebody says "we all did stupid things when we were young". Sorry...I never went fast enough down a 30 mph road to lose control and split the car in half nor did I partake in high speed drag races down Transit Rd(another accident in the last year or so where two young lives were lost)....

Archived