Sabres sign another AHL vet for Portland

tom webster

I wonder if the main problem with bringing in Vets to Rochester was because since they were split with the panthers, they didn't want to waste the roster spots with guys that would only be there to help the Amerks and not Sabres developmental players. Now that they have a full team to stock in portland, they are bringing in VEts because they have space to fill since they can't stock an entire farm team with just prospects

I wonder if the main problem with bringing in Vets to Rochester was because since they were split with the panthers, they didn't want to waste the roster spots with guys that would only be there to help the Amerks and not Sabres developmental players. Now that they have a full team to stock in portland, they are bringing in VEts because they have space to fill since they can't stock an entire farm team with just prospects

No, it was mostly due to the fact Donner was stealing money from the Sabres so the Sabres stopped giving them money for anything, including players.

No, the poster you quoted was correct. No room for extra players in a dual affiliation.

lol, believe what you want, but trust me on this one, i've spoken to some very high up people who told me that. Sketchy activities by Donner and "lost" money was why Sabres put an end to it all. There's a reason why on some nights Amerks played with short on players and begged Buffalo to sign some ECHLers to 10 day contracts and Sabres just wouldn't.

Btw, how is Amerk land anyways? No signings. No hype. No nothing. I thought this new owner was the best thing since sliced bread?

lol, believe what you want, but trust me on this one, i've spoken to some very high up people who told me that. Sketchy activities by Donner and "lost" money was why Sabres put an end to it all. There's a reason why on some nights Amerks played with short on players and begged Buffalo to sign some ECHLers to 10 day contracts and Sabres just wouldn't.

Btw, how is Amerk land anyways? No signings. No hype. No nothing. I thought this new owner was the best thing since sliced bread?

Solid sources there. The reality is, Buffalo and Florida both didn't sign veterans because there was no room.

As for signings, Florida just today signed the Amerks MVP of 2 years ago Janis Sprukts. He's a great player the the AHL level. But thanks for your concern.

Webstah. We agree on Donner. Tool. Douchebag.

The Amerks are gonna stink, again, and I'll take any bet that ticket sales will reach at least a 10-year low.

Way to go, Donner! Have another donut!

Is Portland going to stink? I'd be willing to make a friendly wager with anyone here that the Amerks will have a better regular season record. Just for fun.

Is Portland going to stink? I'd be willing to make a friendly wager with anyone here that the Amerks will have a better regular season record. Just for fun.

I'm going to plead ignorance to the distribution of power in the AHL here, but how much is the fact that the two teams play in different conferences going to factor into any comparison of their records?

I'm going to plead ignorance to the distribution of power in the AHL here, but how much is the fact that the two teams play in different conferences going to factor into any comparison of their records?

Not too much. Both conferences have their strong and weak teams, but I wouldn't say either one is much better than the other.

Portland plays in a division with Providence and Hartford who are always good year in and year out. With Rochester, Manitoba is always tough and Syracuse looks like they'll have a real good team. I'd put them on a relatively even playing field.

Solid sources there. The reality is, Buffalo and Florida both didn't sign veterans because there was no room.

As for signings, Florida just today signed the Amerks MVP of 2 years ago Janis Sprukts. He's a great player the the AHL level. But thanks for your concern.

Yeah, the dude scored 12 goals in 50 games in Finland, an offensive minded league. The team he wanted to re-sign with but they said no way jose. I'm sure he will be back to his MVP form...

Yeah, the dude scored 12 goals in 50 games in Finland, an offensive minded league. The team he wanted to re-sign with but they said no way jose. I'm sure he will be back to his MVP form...

Sprukts was easily the Amerks best player 2 years ago. That means, better than MacArthur, Stafford and Ryan. The FNL is a completely different league, which has nothing to do with the AHL. He was voted the team MVP by his teammates in 06-07.

Besides, he's not a goal scorer, so that stat means nothing. He's a fantastic passer with great vision. If he plays the entire year with Rochester, he'll probably have around 60 assists.

If anyone cares about the truth, both Florida and Buffalo paid above the going rate to Rochester with the understanding that Donner was going to use the money to pay for his own AHL veterans. There wasn't room for three or four guys but there was definitely room for a couple.

Buffalo is now in a more conventional arrangement were they provide the AHL veterans to the club.

Sprukts was easily the Amerks best player 2 years ago. That means, better than MacArthur, Stafford and Ryan. The FNL is a completely different league, which has nothing to do with the AHL. He was voted the team MVP by his teammates in 06-07.

Just going on stats alone, he was not "easily the best Amerk." As a 24-year-old he was second on the team in scoring, behind 21-year-old MacArthur and just two points ahead of Mark Mancari. Stafford, who split the season between Rochester and Buffalo, put up 44 points in 30 games, for 1.47 points per game. Sprukts scored 59 points in 58 games, for 1.02 PPG.

I also wouldn't crow about being better than Mike Ryan.

LINK

Just going on stats alone, he was not "easily the best Amerk." As a 24-year-old he was second on the team in scoring, behind 21-year-old MacArthur and just two points ahead of Mark Mancari. Stafford, who split the season between Rochester and Buffalo, put up 44 points in 30 games, for 1.47 points per game. Sprukts scored 59 points in 58 games, for 1.02 PPG.

I also wouldn't crow about being better than Mike Ryan.

LINK

I'm just going by what I saw. I watched these guys play every night. Sprukts is an all around good player in the AHL. His talent level is easily good enough for the NHL, he's just not the greatest skater. But you can get away with that in the AHL. Kevin O's take:

I conveyed as often as possible the impact Sprukts made on the Amerks in 2006-07, but perhaps some fans still didn?t realize everything he meant.

He was the leader on that team. He brought international and Olympic experience to the club and his desire to win and compete rubbed off. He was without question the guy kids looked to in the room. The Amerks? may have been a Buffalo-run team, but Sprukts was the leader.

His point-a-game play is but a portion of what he truly brings. Remember, players vote on team MVP and he was their selection.

I'm just going by what I saw. I watched these guys play every night. Sprukts is an all around good player in the AHL. His talent level is easily good enough for the NHL, he's just not the greatest skater. But you can get away with that in the AHL. Kevin O's take:

I conveyed as often as possible the impact Sprukts made on the Amerks in 2006-07, but perhaps some fans still didn?t realize everything he meant.

He was the leader on that team. He brought international and Olympic experience to the club and his desire to win and compete rubbed off. He was without question the guy kids looked to in the room. The Amerks? may have been a Buffalo-run team, but Sprukts was the leader.

His point-a-game play is but a portion of what he truly brings. Remember, players vote on team MVP and he was their selection.

And I'm just going by the numbers. I readily concede that just looking at stats is not always the most effective way to judge a player, but based on your proclamation - that he was "easily the best Amerks player" that year - I expected to see him running away with the scoring title, or at least have much better numbers than the younger players you singled out. But the numbers didn't show that.

Either way, his signing wouldn't exactly make me rush out to order Amerks' Calder Cup tickets just yet.

But I guess it's good to see ol' Donner still hanging around SabreSpace, wondering what his old parent club's fans are saying...

And I'm just going by the numbers. I readily concede that just looking at stats is not always the most effective way to judge a player, but based on your proclamation - that he was "easily the best Amerks player" that year - I expected to see him running away with the scoring title, or at least have much better numbers than the younger players you singled out. But the numbers didn't show that.

Either way, his signing wouldn't exactly make me rush out to order Amerks' Calder Cup tickets just yet.

But I guess it's good to see ol' Donner still hanging around SabreSpace, wondering what his old parent club's fans are saying...

Saying "easily" may have been taking it too far, but I do believe he was the team's best player. Stafford was the most talented, but he just didn't show up every night or shift. But his talent made up for that.

Sprukts played less than 60 games. He was on pace for around 60 assists, which are very good numbers for a number 1 center.

I just think it's a good addition for the Amerks, as he'll have some very talented linemates to set up.

Besides, he's not a goal scorer, so that stat means nothing. He's a fantastic passer with great vision. If he plays the entire year with Rochester, he'll probably have around 60 assists.

Sorry for being a jerk about this, but it's called the SM-liiga in Finland. SM stands for "Suomen Mestaruus," which means "Finnish Championship."

Now, some thoughts on Steve Donner: I understand some of the posters' frustrations on here about him. If I understand this correctly, he has done more to collapse what there was of the Rochester sports scene. It's like he's an albatross that has the flying capabilities of a dodo bird. Sooner or later, he's going to PO the Panthers FO, and then the Amerks will be forced to find a new NHL affiliate.

I know that guys like inky can't stand Donner, so flame away! ;)

No, the poster you quoted was correct. No room for extra players in a dual affiliation.

Steve,

You know there was nothing in either affiliation agreement banning you from bringing in AHL vets. The simple fact of the matter was, you were undercapitalized and couldn't live up to your obligations. You did a very nice job of bringing a variety of sports to Ra-cha-cha and should be commended for that. But you also were undercapitalized and nearly sunk every team you were involved in.

You are kind of the Janus of Ra-cha-cha sports. You've done a lot of good, but I'm not certain the bad you did as well doesn't outweigh the good.

PS Either go on Jennie Craig or get a Wii Fit. Your fat butt isn't long for this planet unless you lose about 3 chins.

You guys are brutal, and childish. All I did was responded to a simple, incorrect point here, which was actually defending the Sabres, not putting them down.

You may disagree with my opinions, but at least that's what I post about.

BTW Crosschecking, FNL is a commonly used abbreviation of that league.

Archived