Bucky hammers "sugar packets" Golisano...

LabattBlue

nice to see someone else carrying the "grammar police" flag for once... :thumbsup:

I feel like a dick and probably shouldn't have said anything but if there is one violation that aggravates me more than anything it's the than/then snafu. They don't even look like the same language to me.

To add some fuel to the "Team is being sold" fire....Sabres just sent an email for 40% off all regular price merchandise in the Sabres store, and 20% off jerseys+sale items.

Now, I guess it can be out of the goodness of their hearts, or they are just trying to get rid of all the slug logos when they change their jersey again this year, but could it be that they are going to try and bleed every last dollar out of that place before the sale goes through?

Either way...the sale is on if anyone is interested. It's supposed to be for season ticket holders, but I didn't renew..so just say you couldn't print out the email or something.

Now, I guess it can be out of the goodness of their hearts, or they are just trying to get rid of all the slug logos when they change their jersey again this year, but could it be that they are going to try and bleed every last dollar out of that place before the sale goes through?

Sigh...one can dream...

I dunno about anyone else but this was one of my favorite jerseys that they have had.

attachment=603:pG01_2339743dt.jpg

They should bring it back in blue and gold.

Only if they change the neck line, get rid of the buffalo text, put a white buffalo with a red eye between the swords, and place the same logo on the shoulders.

oh..wait.

True, the Bowman legacy is a separate issue, but it is still germane here, especially if someone whose Sabre historical memory proves he should know better tries to draw the Bowman/Ruff comparison as a slam on current management. I am not sold on the idea of hiring superstar coaches in general (which is another separate issue), but it seems especially silly to me for someone to suggest that sticking with a coach who has turned out to have developed into something approaching a superstar is a bad move by management. I share every fan's frustration with how things have gone in the past year, but anyone who thinks that there is a single magic formula to winning (sign everyone! dump Peters! hire a coach people have heard of! bring back the goat head! stomp the slug!) is delusional.

You talkin' to me?

The point is the acceptance of mediocrity/coming close every 10 years -- ya know, because it's a small market wink wink nudge nudge. I don't like Coaches for Life, and I suspect Ruff's performance is starting to slip because he's so comfortable.

Trade Ruff for Bowman? Today? You're damn right.

that squares with my recollection as well. the point remains the same: the guy's firmly committed to a sustainable business model. and, for that, he is decried by some as being paralyzingly cheap.

Here's what doesn't square up. A billionaire owner, the comment about basically wanting to be "made whole" (break even), the dramatic appreciation of the franchise in a short time and video scouting, not spending to the cap.

The only answer? Wait for it. Sugar packets. Pure cane.

Old teriyake pants.

I've lived in Detroit for the last three years. Let me clue you in on something. If you think the economy is bad there in Buffalo, and it is, take a walk down here for a couple of years and your jaw will drop. A comparison between the two cities is more than fair. The difference is, Illych, the Wings' owner, is more than willing to spend his millions, open the bank vaults and pay player the money they are worth to win a championship. And gee, that strategy has worked. How many cups have they won in the last, say fifteen years? Three? Four? And he's always been willing to spend the money. Now, look at Golisano. Another really rich guy with hockey team in an economically depressed rust belt city. His FO won't pay ANYONE to come here. We grab a random free agent or two and they come in for a couple of years, but thn they leave without much fanfare. All because, the Sabres don't make enough money. Well, we have the lowest ticke prices in the league. Raise them. Fans will pay to see a winning team. Again, look at Detroit. Highest ticket prices in the league. Their games are regularly sold out. And why? Because they know that when they go to the games they are seeing a team that is built to win and that year in and year our they are a favorite to win the cup. Buffalo's FO seems like it could care less. People aren't going to pay to see an average team that they know is on the fringes of the playoffs our just outside every year. You have to pay to get players to help your team.

The FO has refused to do any such thing. Not only won't they pay to bring players in, they have refused to offer legitimate contracts to keep the good players that we actually have. I think Drury and Briere were only the end of a string of bad decisions made by the FO. Both players wanted to stay, but felt as if the FO was really short shrifting them, trying to supremely undervalue their worth to the team. And they were right to go elsewhere. Vanek would be gone too if Vancouver hadn't stepped in and saved our butts. Had they not offered him that contract, he would be gone at the end of the season, and only because Regier realized that he couldn't afford to lose every good player we had that he actually decided to pay Vanek. And he had to really pay, much more than if we had been able to give him a contract on our own terms. But these guys seem to lazy to do that. And if you expect more from them in the Miller and Pominville negotiations, your fooling yourself. They will try to get them on the cheap, the two of them will be offended at the way the FO is treating them and the work and effort they put in with the team, and they'll bolt. I really hope I'm wrong and that they change their tune, but I don't see that happening. The only one of the entire group that I have any respect for is Ruff. I don't care what people say, the guy is a winner and has done more with the lackluster talent we have had than most people could. As for the rest of them, the only reason I hope that we have another shi--y season is so that maybe, just maybe, they'll throw the bums out and we can get some decent management for a change. Even still, I don't think that would happen, because like it or not, Bucky was right. The team is cheap and has been for a while.

I think I love you. Seriously. You said it all. You said everything I've been saying in the Golisano Error.

You talkin' to me?

Well, on the first point, yes. Though I was not attributing the entire list at the end to you...

The point is the acceptance of mediocrity/coming close every 10 years -- ya know, because it's a small market wink wink nudge nudge. I don't like Coaches for Life, and I suspect Ruff's performance is starting to slip because he's so comfortable.

Trade Ruff for Bowman? Today? You're damn right.

As far as accepting mediocrity, I am not sure that trying to build a team with a lot of good young talent is that. Nor do I think that hiring another coach is the right idea right now. But that's just me. Last year was a major disappointment, yes; I will wait to see whether the young talent develops. If they win, great. If not, I will remember that sports are the toy department of life. You can do what you like. I imagine my approach will lead to fewer peptic ulcers....

Well, on the first point, yes. Though I was not attributing the entire list at the end to you...

As far as accepting mediocrity, I am not sure that trying to build a team with a lot of good young talent is that. Nor do I think that hiring another coach is the right idea right now. But that's just me. Last year was a major disappointment, yes; I will wait to see whether the young talent develops. If they win, great. If not, I will remember that sports are the toy department of life. You can do what you like. I imagine my approach will lead to fewer peptic ulcers....

I believe they (the Dick Van Patten family) determined that ulcers are not caused by stress, but a bacterium instead. So worry away.

Archived