Con$ider these numbers over 365 days

Swedesessed

Couple of things...

Over the past 365 days, consider these former Sabres and the contracts that they have earned:

Daniel Briere: 8 years, $52 million

Chris Drury: 5 years, $35.25 million

Brian Campbell: 8 years, $57 million

Total over 365 days: 21 years, $144.25 million dollars :o

First off, I think we all need to realize that the FA period has become pure lunacy. The contracts that are being given out honestly leave me speechless.

I know baseball is different, but the Sabres are reminding me of the Oakland A's of baseball. And that is necessarily not a bad thing, because the A's are year in and year out competitive, and if there was a cap in baseball, maybe the A's would have been able to get a player or two to get them to the World Series. And maybe the Sabres can incorporate the same kind of philosophies in the new NHL, let these teams overpay on July 1st, and let's draft smart, make good solid trades, and sign the occasional free agent.

Couple of things...

Over the past 365 days, consider these former Sabres and the contracts that they have earned:

First off, I think we all need to realize that the FA period has become pure lunacy. The contracts that are being given out honestly leave me speechless.

I know baseball is different, but the Sabres are reminding me of the Oakland A's of baseball. And that is necessarily not a bad thing, because the A's are year in and year out competitive, and if there was a cap in baseball, maybe the A's would have been able to get a player or two to get them to the World Series. And maybe the Sabres can incorporate the same kind of philosophies in the new NHL, let these teams overpay on July 1st, and let's draft smart, make good solid trades, and sign the occasional free agent.

Briere was worth the $...the others worth about 3-4 million tops per year

The City of Brotherly Love was ready to tar and feather Mr. Briere for a fair stretch of the regular season. The fact that he escaped their wrath for his Missing Person act in the ECF was only because they sucked so badly the year before, the fans were happy to just make the playoffs. If he repeats that performance again next year, believe me, they won't think he was worth it either.

And the thing about all those big money signings is that most of the time, its not those guys that are winning the cup. Its the teams with a lot of the mid-range priced guys. Generally the guys who are worth more than they're being paid.

Couple of things...

I'm sending in my resume to be Drury's agent.

And the thing about all those big money signings is that most of the time, its not those guys that are winning the cup. Its the teams with a lot of the mid-range priced guys. Generally the guys who are worth more than they're being paid.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only move that Detroit made today outside of their own organization was signing a backup goalie, just like us ...

Do they usually make a big splash? I believe they are a build-from-within team, as well, and have been probably the most consistent team in the league in recent history. They may be better at it than we are, but the mentality is the same. Probably helps that they are ... well ... Detroit, meaning a lot of players want to play for a team with their name and their history. Even with the best management, I don't think Buffalo could have as much draw.

Couple of things...

None of these guys are worth the money. Briere? Cry-boys were calling him their savior, until he put up a whopping -20 and then they're calling for him to be benched. Decent playoffs with Prospal, but he's outta town. Good luck with that, Philly, for the next 7 years. :death:

Drury? Sure, he's nice to have on a young team like the Sabres. But with the Rags? That franchise is changing their business plan every two seconds. They've got enough washed up vets that have already taken over the leadership role AND the salary cap. Put him on a young team and he might do better, but he's not worth 7M+ there.

Campbell? Please. The entire NHL has been washing his balls, and for basically no reason. 7M dollars had damn well better get you a great player, maybe even a franchise one. To think that it's gonna be wasted on a 3rd-4th "defenseman" is a joke. He's a nice guy, and he can move the puck, but does that translate to wins? He's basically the Danny Briere of defense: good hands, creative, not a great shot, sucks @$$ in the defensive zone, won't hit someone to save his life. So long.

Drury? Sure, he's nice to have on a young team like the Sabres. But with the Rags? That franchise is changing their business plan every two seconds. They've got enough washed up vets that have already taken over the leadership role AND the salary cap. Put him on a young team and he might do better, but he's not worth 7M+ there.

This is why I think he made a bad decision last year (assuming the Sabres really were willing to match.) For lack of a better term, be would have been King here; now he's barely a knight.

This is why I think he made a bad decision last year (assuming the Sabres really were willing to match.) For lack of a better term, be would have been King here; now he's barely a knight.

As time goes by both sides probably regret how it ended up..

Unless I'm mistaken, the only move that Detroit made today outside of their own organization was signing a backup goalie, just like us ...

Do they usually make a big splash? I believe they are a build-from-within team, as well, and have been probably the most consistent team in the league in recent history. They may be better at it than we are, but the mentality is the same. Probably helps that they are ... well ... Detroit, meaning a lot of players want to play for a team with their name and their history. Even with the best management, I don't think Buffalo could have as much draw.

And just because they only signed Conklin and Stuart today doesn't mean that their offseason is done either. But yes, they have drafted incredibly well. They never get those early picks either since they've been consistently at the top of the league. They have made a bit of a spash in the market from time to time, like say Rafalski last year, but a lot of their core came from within.

I know Detroit is generally viewed as the model franchise and they are coming off a Cup Win, but they do spend from time-to-time. Prior to the cap, the Red Wings spent a lot of money on guys like Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull, Pat Verbeek, and other guys. They traded for Hasek who had a huge salary at the time. Subsequent to Hasek, they signed CuJo for top dollar, which backfired. They also signed Hasek two years ago. They are willing to spend money when they need to.

In the post-cap era, they have been a pretty good team about building from within, but let's not forget the Rafalski signing to replace Schneider. And, they have been willing to make big trades to put them over the top like acquiring Bertuzzi last year and Brad Stuart this year. In fact, Chelios also was traded to Detroit. They ensure an excellent team chemistry. It also helps that 75% of the Swedish National Team plays for them. There's no doubt they draft well, but they also spend a ton of money in their scouting department which is the largest in the NHL while the Sabres have the smallest scouting department in the NHL. If you want to follow the model, it does involve making some investments in the scouting department if you are serious about being a team that drafts well. The Sabres have gone the opposite way.

While I know Detroit is the model franchise, let's remember there are a lot of things that are different about Ken Holland and Darcy. Holland is willing to take risks. Darcy does not. Holland is not afraid to make the investment to acquire players to replace what he has lost, for example Rafalski for Schneider. Darcy has not proven that he is willing to go after and get guys to replace the talent he has lost e.g. Briere and Drury. And, Detroit keeps their players who are up for UFA. Remember when Briere was on his one year arbitration award? Well, Holland set the market for Briere calibre players when he signed Datsyuk to a long term extension in January of 2007. As far as I can tell Nicklas Lidstrom has never played for any other team besides the Red Wings in his career. And, I also noticed that Brad Stuart just re-signed with the Wings as well. I know Darcy is talking with Miller and he's kept most of the RFAs in the past and he did re-sign Hecht last year, but his track record for keeping UFAs has not been stellar when compared to Ken Holland. If he keeps Miller, then I will give him credit. But, if Detroit is going to be the model, then we should act like the model, and as far as I can tell we haven't really acted like the model much in my opinion.

^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :w00t:

What is it with people and their "man-love" with short fellas (see Doug Flutie).

I balme the 1939 movie release of The Wizard of Oz:

We represent the Lollipop Guild, The Lollipop Guild, The Lollipop Guild And in the name of the Lollypop Guild, We wish to welcome you to Muchkinland.

The Lollypop Guild

:nana: :nana:

^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :w00t:

What is it with people and their "man-love" with short fellas (see Doug Flutie).

I balme the 1939 movie release of The Wizard of Oz:

We represent the Lollipop Guild, The Lollipop Guild, The Lollipop Guild And in the name of the Lollypop Guild, We wish to welcome you to Muchkinland.

The Lollypop Guild

:nana: :nana:

All this time, I thought they were saying the Lollipop Kids.. The Lollipop Guild actually makes a lot of sense...

I know Detroit is generally viewed as the model franchise and they are coming off a Cup Win, but they do spend from time-to-time. Prior to the cap, the Red Wings spent a lot of money on guys like Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull, Pat Verbeek, and other guys. They traded for Hasek who had a huge salary at the time. Subsequent to Hasek, they signed CuJo for top dollar, which backfired. They also signed Hasek two years ago. They are willing to spend money when they need to.

In the post-cap era, they have been a pretty good team about building from within, but let's not forget the Rafalski signing to replace Schneider. And, they have been willing to make big trades to put them over the top like acquiring Bertuzzi last year and Brad Stuart this year. In fact, Chelios also was traded to Detroit. They ensure an excellent team chemistry. It also helps that 75% of the Swedish National Team plays for them. There's no doubt they draft well, but they also spend a ton of money in their scouting department which is the largest in the NHL while the Sabres have the smallest scouting department in the NHL. If you want to follow the model, it does involve making some investments in the scouting department if you are serious about being a team that drafts well. The Sabres have gone the opposite way.

While I know Detroit is the model franchise, let's remember there are a lot of things that are different about Ken Holland and Darcy. Holland is willing to take risks. Darcy does not. Holland is not afraid to make the investment to acquire players to replace what he has lost, for example Rafalski for Schneider. Darcy has not proven that he is willing to go after and get guys to replace the talent he has lost e.g. Briere and Drury. And, Detroit keeps their players who are up for UFA. Remember when Briere was on his one year arbitration award? Well, Holland set the market for Briere calibre players when he signed Datsyuk to a long term extension in January of 2007. As far as I can tell Nicklas Lidstrom has never played for any other team besides the Red Wings in his career. And, I also noticed that Brad Stuart just re-signed with the Wings as well. I know Darcy is talking with Miller and he's kept most of the RFAs in the past and he did re-sign Hecht last year, but his track record for keeping UFAs has not been stellar when compared to Ken Holland. If he keeps Miller, then I will give him credit. But, if Detroit is going to be the model, then we should act like the model, and as far as I can tell we haven't really acted like the model much in my opinion.

I know this is a different sport but in the mid-90s, Mark Shapiro and John Hart of the Cleveland Indians did something that at the time was novel - they locked up young talent well before getting to the crazy free agency bonanza in order to keep costs low. And even though they didn't win, they went to 2 world series in 3 years and were very good for quite some time.

That is the way to succeed in the NHL as well - get players signed before they get to free agency. In addition, as 526 said earlier, be ready to take risks. He mentioned Datsyuk. If Datsyuk were a UFA today somehow, he would have been paid A LOT more than he's getting paid now. I live in Texas so I follow the Stars. Look at what they did. They signed Mike Ribiero, an 80 point scorer, to a deal averaging $5mil per year. Heck, crappy players are getting $4mil. Brendan Morrow is getting somewhere less then $5 mil and he's one of the better all around players in the league. Both guys were signed WELL before their contracts came up. Had Drury and Briere been signed the year before they hit the market, it might have looked a little high at the time but in hindsight, they'd be getting paid what Niklas Hagman got yesterday. Who's a better deal??? Hagman is a nice 3rd liner. I like Darcy and think he's not a bad GM (as evidenced in another thread where I defended Darcy mainly because of his body of work), but in this NHL, he needs to be ready to take some risks and also to get ahead of the free agency curve and get guys signed before July 1st. July 1st is the day when GMs become morons and players become too hard to sign.

None of these guys are worth the money. Briere? Cry-boys were calling him their savior, until he put up a whopping -20 and then they're calling for him to be benched. Decent playoffs with Prospal, but he's outta town. Good luck with that, Philly, for the next 7 years. :death:

Campbell? Please. The entire NHL has been washing his balls, and for basically no reason. 7M dollars had damn well better get you a great player, maybe even a franchise one. To think that it's gonna be wasted on a 3rd-4th "defenseman" is a joke. He's a nice guy, and he can move the puck, but does that translate to wins? He's basically the Danny Briere of defense: good hands, creative, not a great shot, sucks @$$ in the defensive zone, won't hit someone to save his life. So long.

agreed. all of them are too overrated, overpriced and too flawed.

Archived