Soupy 2nd-team all-NHL

nfreeman

Another nail in the coffin of the desperation "he might come back here for a hometown discount" theory: I kid you not. He's been selected as 2nd-team all-NHL on defense -- ie one of the top 4 defensemen in the entire NHL, behind only Lidstrom and Phaneuf. And this isn't some fan-voting item -- this is from the Pro Hockey Writers' Association, the same group that selects the winner of the Hart, Norris, Calder, etc.

(However, since I assume both Bucky and that moron/slob writer from Ottawa are both members of the PHWA, perhaps their selections aren't terribly well-informed either).

Now, I know that everyone here knows that Soupy isn't a top-4 NHL defenseman, and that anyone who watched the Sharks in the playoffs probably thinks the same thing. But don't kid yourself: this award just put more money in his pocket. Someone is going to think about the skating, the all-star games, this award, the Umberger hit, and the ice time for 2 top NHL contenders and give Soupy over $6 million per year and over $40 million total. And it isn't going to be the Sabres.

Another nail in the coffin of the desperation "he might come back here for a hometown discount" theory: I kid you not. He's been selected as 2nd-team all-NHL on defense -- ie one of the top 4 defensemen in the entire NHL, behind only Lidstrom and Phaneuf. And this isn't some fan-voting item -- this is from the Pro Hockey Writers' Association, the same group that selects the winner of the Hart, Norris, Calder, etc.

(However, since I assume both Bucky and that moron/slob writer from Ottawa are both members of the PHWA, perhaps their selections aren't terribly well-informed either).

Now, I know that everyone here knows that Soupy isn't a top-4 NHL defenseman, and that anyone who watched the Sharks in the playoffs probably thinks the same thing. But don't kid yourself: this award just put more money in his pocket. Someone is going to think about the skating, the all-star games, this award, the Umberger hit, and the ice time for 2 top NHL contenders and give Soupy over $6 million per year and over $40 million total. And it isn't going to be the Sabres.

Wow, 3 Snarks and only 2 Wings. How the heck does Thornton make it over Datsyuk?

Well, Mirtle gives us this little gem on the voting

"

Some interesting results, as always: Ovechkin, Fedorov and Backstrom with Selke votes; Giguere and Osgood with Byng votes; Price for the Vezina; Cullimore, Streit and Redden with Norris bids; Phaneuf, Crosby and Niedermayer claim Hart points.

I'm not kidding."

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/

Check it out - he put up the voting results.

There is a professional writer that thinks Vinny Prospal is the third best winger too.

The teams look to be almost purely numbers, so I guess the question would be why Kovalev over Datsyuk. Also, the pure number get Campbell up there as he was a top 4 scoring d-man.

Mainly because Datsyuk is a center and Kovalev is a RW.

But if you look at the rookie teams, Backstrom and Toews are centers and they're both on the team.

The 1st and 2nd AS teams are by specific position (G, D, D, LW, RW, C). It appears, from the AP reports of the past 2 years, that the All-Rookie squad is broken up as G, D, D, F, F, F.

Campbell was also fifth or sixth in the Norris trophy voting. Like I said to X during my sabbatical. Campbell will either sign with San Jose for around $6.5 or he will sign with the highest bidder for over $8 million per.

I can see him re-upping with SJ for $6.5 million per, but I'm calling BS on the over $8 million part. I think demand for him maxes out at $7 - $7.25 million. But stranger things have happened.

The 1st and 2nd AS teams are by specific position (G, D, D, LW, RW, C). It appears, from the AP reports of the past 2 years, that the All-Rookie squad is broken up as G, D, D, F, F, F.

I guess I shouldn't pay attention to the fact that the NHL website has Zetterberg listed as a center. Those guys that play multiple positions throw everything off.

Campbell 2nd team all-star? WOW! What was the criteria for voting? If he is one of the 4 best defenseman in hockey, then I am a complete moron in terms of hockey knowledge.

Well if he was voted for by the people that know hockey thats one thing but I never took much stock in writers opinions..If the coaches vote em in thats another ball of wax..But with that said i cant help but say maybe you can mod an underwater basketweaving board :nana: :thumbsup:

Campbell 2nd team all-star? WOW! What was the criteria for voting? If he is one of the 4 best defenseman in hockey, then I am a complete moron in terms of hockey knowledge.

Think about who the guys working the NHL beat are at most newspapers. Guys like Luke DeCock end up stuck w/ hockey. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the voters weren't exactly Jim Kelley knowledgeable. Heck Zetterberg received votes at all 3 forward positions. Has he EVER lined up at right wing?

Guest Sloth
I can see him re-upping with SJ for $6.5 million per, but I'm calling BS on the over $8 million part. I think demand for him maxes out at $7 - $7.25 million. But stranger things have happened.

Isn't Tampa trying to rebuild and create cap space? They signed Dan Boyle to a 40 million dollar deal. I just thought that was a bit strange, because from what I understand they still have a lot of money locked up in St. Louis and Vinny. <_<

Kinda like how he had such an awesome beginning of the season to make the all-star game in Atlanta. Pretty sure at the time we had one of the worst defenses in the league? Oh well, they pick who they like. I'm sure when Crosby has 20 points going into the all-star break he still gets voted in.

Kinda like how he had such an awesome beginning of the season to make the all-star game in Atlanta. Pretty sure at the time we had one of the worst defenses in the league? Oh well, they pick who they like. I'm sure when Crosby has 20 points going into the all-star break he still gets voted in.

Crosby is one of the best 3 players in the NHL. I would trade any 5 players on the Sabres for him. He does not belong in any discussion relating to Soupy being overrated.

Crosby is one of the best 3 players in the NHL. I would trade any 5 players on the Sabres for him. He does not belong in any discussion relating to Soupy being overrated.

Never said he wasn't great. I said if there was ever a time that he only had 20 points he would still make the all-star game based on the hype of what he is alone. The NHL built the hype around Campbell and the Umberger hit the same way and that apparently made him an elite player.

Archived