And the ink keeps flowing ...

carpandean

Those who have followed the Rochester Americans have been warning Pirates fans obsessively since the rumored merger of Buffalo and Portland began several months ago to watch out for the Sabres and their constant mismanagement of their AHL farm team.

Well, although it?s not official ? the Sabres and Pirates are expected to make an announcement next week ? the Sabres have done a pretty good job so far in signed their key prospects.

I?m sure that has a few people in Rochester feeling queasy and screaming mad.

On Tuesday morning, the Sabres added another player when GM Darcy Regier announced the signing of the defenseman Dennis Persson to a three-year entry-level contract (terms not announced).

Sabres add a surprise signing

I'll be curious to see the numbers on this contract. From everything I've read on the guy, he doesn't sound like the waste that some people like to think he is. But then again, in order to receive a compensatory pick for not signing him, they still had to offer him something. There was alway the chance of him accepting that offer.

I'll be curious to see the numbers on this contract. From everything I've read on the guy, he doesn't sound like the waste that some people like to think he is. But then again, in order to receive a compensatory pick for not signing him, they still had to offer him something. There was alway the chance of him accepting that offer.

I think it is a good signing.

There are two ways to look at him I guess. One is that he didn't play well in the SEL,

and the other is that he managed to crack the SEL for playing time at age 19 on a team where

Ossi Vanaanen was on the third pairing and the average defensemen was 30 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is soon on a top pairing in the Portland.

Who knows with these guys ... hard to go by anything that happens in that league and try to project it ... Nik Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick and had 41 points in 96 games in the SEL ... then he scored 60 points in his rookie season in the NHL at age 21 and is a hall of famer ... obviously not saying this guy will be 1/3 of that, but probably worth taking the shot on ...

It looks like a good signing to me. He might not have had a great go of it in Sweden but now that we have a full farm team to stock, we can sign our picks and see if they pan out rather than only having half a team to play with. Maybe he just needs the right coaches to blossom.

WGR says he'll be playing in Europe next season.

They also said that the Sabres say they will not offer Kalinin a contract.

Does he get paid by Buffalo to play in Europe? Or is he not getting paid in year one of his deal? I always wondered about that. lol

Any word if Phillip Gorgulla is coming? I think he's gonna be a star. I kid you not.

And who needs Kalinin when you can have Brooks Oprik. lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway, with all these signings...if they sign Kriukov, I'm going to Kalinin myself (crap myself).

Guest Sloth
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway, with all these signings...if they sign Kriukov, I'm going to Kalinin myself (crap myself).

I hope you don't want Kalinin back. Talk about a waste of cap space. Kalinin was a bust. I remember Lindy being pissed off when he had to play him in the middle of the season, due to injuries. The guy was terrible at getting the puck out of the zone, Kalinin had too many turnovers, and his offense was uhh.... Why would you want to keep the guy? Free agents will be available and the Sabres need a couple of guys who focus on the defensive side of the game. Buffalo needs to defenders who can hit and get the puck out of the zone.

Oooh...sounds like the Sabres got me an early birthday present! B-)

Now if they'll announce they are working on dropping the slug it will make my month!

I hope you don't want Kalinin back. Talk about a waste of cap space. Kalinin was a bust. I remember Lindy being pissed off when he had to play him in the middle of the season, due to injuries. The guy was terrible at getting the puck out of the zone, Kalinin had too many turnovers, and his offense was uhh.... Why would you want to keep the guy? Free agents will be available and the Sabres need a couple of guys who focus on the defensive side of the game. Buffalo needs to defenders who can hit and get the puck out of the zone.

Nope, that was sarcasm--he's the player I rip the most...look at my sig!

The only time I ever thought Kalinin was somewhat decent was when he was paired with Zhitnik. After we lost Z, Kalinin was never able to play at the same level, and it's not all about numbers--just making smart plays and being relied on to play some solid defense--he could never reach that level again. I bet he signs in Russia.

Does he get paid by Buffalo to play in Europe? Or is he not getting paid in year one of his deal? I always wondered about that. lol

Any word if Phillip Gorgulla is coming? I think he's gonna be a star. I kid you not.

And who needs Kalinin when you can have Brooks Oprik. lol

Persson was jerked around in Europe from one club to the next last season. Unless the Sabres would have lost the rights to him(which I don't believe is the case), either sign him to play over here in the AHL or let him play over there as an unsigned prospect for another year. Same goes for Gogulla.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :blink:

Persson was jerked around in Europe from one club to the next last season. Unless the Sabres would have lost the rights to him(which I don't believe is the case), either sign him to play over here in the AHL or let him play over there as an unsigned prospect for another year. Same goes for Gogulla.

Depending on when the whole transfer agreement thing is sorted out (who knows what the deal is there), they would have lost his right if he didn't sign. They would've received the 24th pick in the 2nd round as compensation if that had happened.

Yeah i know. I've followed him pretty closely actually while he was in Sweden. I even joined the Djurgarden (the club which owned his rights) forums and met a few people who spoke some in English and have season tickets there and saw Persson alot. Alot of them are disappointed in the way he's played poorly, he makes ALOT of mistakes and is very slow skater. But they all still seem high on him. They think he may be a late bloomer and be a good pro.

Archived