OT - Hypocrites in the media.

deluca67

I know this is not a huge revelation, there is such a huge amount of hypocrisies in media. Listening to the WGR morning show gush about CBS's decision to show MMA leaves me shaking my head. After hearing them for the past few years decry the evils of Barry Bond and steroids here they are celebrating a TV show, I will not refer to it as a sport there is nothing sporting about the human equivalent of dog fighting, in which steroid engorged men commit acts of violence that would put them in jail if they did the exact same thing in the parking lot rather than the ring.

It's not just WGR. It's CBS, ESPN and other who have sold out their morals they claimed to have the during the steroid scandal. What's next? 'TBS Presents - Bum Fighting'? NBC Sport's Chick Fights? 'Fox Sports presents the world most dangerous men with Down Syndrome'? When does it end?

It was great to hear Jim Nance, the lead sports anchor on CBS, say he has no intentions of watching it during his interview with Jim Rome. It's a shame that his Network doesn't have the same class.

Going off on a slight tangent - am I the only guy in America who has pretty much no interest in MMA/UFC/cage fighting? I see that stuff start after the NHLL games end on Versus and even after the Tribe games end on SportsTime Ohio and have zero desire to watch any of it.

Going off on a slight tangent - am I the only guy in America who has pretty much no interest in MMA/UFC/cage fighting? I see that stuff start after the NHLL games end on Versus and even after the Tribe games end on SportsTime Ohio and have zero desire to watch any of it.

you are not the only one. Even though i don't watch it i don't care if people do, that's their choice. But what i do mind is watching the commercials for UFC during hockey. i dont have a child in the viewing age yet, but when i do, i feel like i am going to have to change the channel every commercial break. even the commercials are so voilent and i don't want my kid to see that too early.

You are not alone. I read an article about the MMA show on CBS and it referenced several youtube clips that put "Kimbo Slice" on the map. I watched the video and thought, "This is entertainment?"

I know this is not a huge revelation, there is such a huge amount of hypocrisies in media. Listening to the WGR morning show gush about CBS's decision to show MMA leaves me shaking my head. After hearing them for the past few years decry the evils of Barry Bond and steroids here they are celebrating a TV show, I will not refer to it as a sport there is nothing sporting about the human equivalent of dog fighting, in which steroid engorged men commit acts of violence that would put them in jail if they did the exact same thing in the parking lot rather than the ring.

It's not just WGR. It's CBS, ESPN and other who have sold out their morals they claimed to have the during the steroid scandal. What's next? 'TBS Presents - Bum Fighting'? NBC Sport's Chick Fights? 'Fox Sports presents the world most dangerous men with Down Syndrome'? When does it end?

It was great to hear Jim Nance, the lead sports anchor on CBS, say he has no intentions of watching it during his interview with Jim Rome. It's a shame that his Network doesn't have the same class.

The bold would be interesting to watch. I'm sure most men would enjoy it. But, I have my own visions of what that would be, not pure female-on-female combat. That, I'm not sure anyone would want to watch.

No, you are not the only one. It's gruesome, disgusting, and I cannot stand that stuff. There is no way I can watch any of that stuff. But for some reason, when Gaustad goes after Neil, I have no problem with that and hope that Gaustad destroys Neil. Somehow there must by hypocrisy in that, but I guess that's just me. I hate the pre-arranged Peters vs. Brashear or Peters vs. Laraque kind of stuff. But, a fight in the heat of the moment and redemption for a dirty hit is something that I enjoy. The Buffalo-Ottawa war was absolutely awesome and Drew Stafford stepping up to take on Chris Neil was awesome. I don't know, I guess there is some hypocrisy there in that one fight is acceptable but another is not, but I have my line and I know where I draw it. Is it hypocritical? I don't know, but I know what I find acceptable to watch and what I don't, so I'll leave that as my limit.

What are your thoughts on boxing? MMA has evolved from the early days of more of a grappling based sport to more of a stand up boxing/muay thai sport. I wouldn't compare MMA to dogfighting because the dogs do not have a choice on whether they participate or not. The guys that do MMA do have a choice. I enjoy watching MMA because of the grappling portion of it. But more and more of the guys are just bonafide street brawlers who just stand up and punch.

I do not like the fact that they are introducing women into MMA now. I was never a fan of women's boxing either. MMA is the hot sport right now so the networks are going to show it and try to make some money. Boxing is pretty much dead as a sport so the closest thing to that right now is MMA.

I dunno.

I have yet to see a UFA or MMA fight that matches the brutality of some of the Mancini

boxing fights from the 80's.

I am not bothered by it, but I'm not going to rush to watch it.

But the equivalent of Dog fighting? Hardly. These are highly skilled athletes.

There is probably at least an equal chance of suffering a severe concussion in professional Ice Hockey.

This coming from the man who's avatar is a man swinging an axe and a tatoo of "Eddie" with a tomahawk..Strikes me as odd.. I couldnt resist.. :nana:

What are your thoughts on boxing? MMA has evolved from the early days of more of a grappling based sport to more of a stand up boxing/muay thai sport. I wouldn't compare MMA to dogfighting because the dogs do not have a choice on whether they participate or not. The guys that do MMA do have a choice. I enjoy watching MMA because of the grappling portion of it. But more and more of the guys are just bonafide street brawlers who just stand up and punch.

I do not like the fact that they are introducing women into MMA now. I was never a fan of women's boxing either. MMA is the hot sport right now so the networks are going to show it and try to make some money. Boxing is pretty much dead as a sport so the closest thing to that right now is MMA.

I am not a fan of boxing to answer your first question.

I have a huge problem with the idea the fighters have a choice. Do the participants in the bum fights have a choice? In theory they do. The economics of the situation have more to do with the decision than anything else. I doubt any of the MMA fighters are there for "the love of the game." They are there to make quick cash no matter what damage they do to themselves. There is little to no difference between the MMA and dog fighting. The dogs may have been physically forced to the ring. The MMA have an even stronger influence that forces them into the ring.

The fact you "enjoy" watching. Enough said. :thumbdown:

I have a huge problem with the idea the fighters have a choice. Do the participants in the bum fights have a choice? In theory they do. The economics of the situation have more to do with the decision than anything else. I doubt any of the MMA fighters are there for "the love of the game."

Why would you doubt it? I've worked with guys that trained in different disciplines and it is a lifelong pursuit. They are usually very proud of their styles and very interested in different disciplines. Most of them moved to other countries at one time in their life to train. They would be doing it if they were paid to do it or not.

They are there to make quick cash no matter what damage they do to themselves. There is little to no difference between the MMA and dog fighting. The dogs may have been physically forced to the ring. The MMA have an even stronger influence that forces them into the ring.

Just silly.

You're in rare form. I've known fighters and the money is just not there to make the training worth it. Almost all of these guys would make more money at a minimum wage jobs if you are factoring in the training time.

If you have an ethical problem with it that is one thing, but these guys are just too skilled to say it is merely economic exploitation.

I have a huge problem with the idea the fighters have a choice. Do the participants in the bum fights have a choice? In theory they do. The economics of the situation have more to do with the decision than anything else. I doubt any of the MMA fighters are there for "the love of the game." They are there to make quick cash no matter what damage they do to themselves. There is little to no difference between the MMA and dog fighting. The dogs may have been physically forced to the ring. The MMA have an even stronger influence that forces them into the ring.

The fact you "enjoy" watching. Enough said. :thumbdown:

Yes, I enjoy watching sports that have physical contact in them ala football, hockey, boxing, and MMA. I would say most pro athletes are not in it for "the love of the game." I think they lose that around the college years or even earlier in the case of basketball (AAU). I know you didn't say this about fighting in hockey but isn't it kind of the same thing. I know there is a code in fighting but let's be honest, they are bonafide goons that can skate. When it comes to a big donny brook, there is no need for the goalies to fight but what do the fans love. The fans love it when the goalies skate to center ice and drop the gloves. It is two people fighting.

I think most pro athletes are there to make as much money as they can now and not worry about what it does to there body later, which leads back to the steroids thing. I think you can say that about average people too. How many stories have you read and heard about the older NFL players or even recent NFL players who need help getting out of bed?

To go off tangent on the steroids real quick, there still hasn't been a medical study giving the effects of long term use of steroids, whether abusing them or using them periodically under guidance of a medical professional. All these talking heads who form an opinion or just like to hear themselves talk are purely just speculating on steroids.

But in the end, one of the great things is that you can always turn the channel to the left or right and not have to worry about watching it. And if you are worried about your children watching it, here is a crazy idea, talk to them about it. Is the child going to differentiate between a big check, a donnybrook, a wide reciever getting crushed, or two guys in a ring trying to knock the other guy out?

Yes, I enjoy watching sports that have physical contact in them ala football, hockey, boxing, and MMA. I would say most pro athletes are not in it for "the love of the game." I think they lose that around the college years or even earlier in the case of basketball (AAU). I know you didn't say this about fighting in hockey but isn't it kind of the same thing. I know there is a code in fighting but let's be honest, they are bonafide goons that can skate. When it comes to a big donny brook, there is no need for the goalies to fight but what do the fans love. The fans love it when the goalies skate to center ice and drop the gloves. It is two people fighting.

I think most pro athletes are there to make as much money as they can now and not worry about what it does to there body later, which leads back to the steroids thing. I think you can say that about average people too. How many stories have you read and heard about the older NFL players or even recent NFL players who need help getting out of bed?

To go off tangent on the steroids real quick, there still hasn't been a medical study giving the effects of long term use of steroids, whether abusing them or using them periodically under guidance of a medical professional. All these talking heads who form an opinion or just like to hear themselves talk are purely just speculating on steroids.

But in the end, one of the great things is that you can always turn the channel to the left or right and not have to worry about watching it. And if you are worried about your children watching it, here is a crazy idea, talk to them about it. Is the child going to differentiate between a big check, a donnybrook, a wide reciever getting crushed, or two guys in a ring trying to knock the other guy out?

There is no similarity to a hard tackle, a body check and a elbow to the face with the intent to kill someone. That is not sport and it certainly isn't entertainment on any level. There is physical contact in legitimate sports. And players do get hurt playing those sports. The legitimate sports are not based around those instances. Like dog fighting, UFC and MMA is designed to go until one participant is incapacitated.

I always thought martial arts was about discipline. It was about inner peace and being mentally and physically at your best. Isn't throwing two practitioners of martial arts into a ring for money bastardizing everything martial arts stands for? If you truly love martial arts shouldn't you be outraged and offended that it is being turned into something ugly and demeaning? I have always thought the last thing a practitioner of martial arts ever wants to do is to use martial arts on another human being.

The only problem with that is if I sit down to watch hockey with my kids, when they go to a commercial break(on VS.) the first thing I see is a guy getting his face bashed in before I can even get to the remote. And if you think those images don't effect your kids(or even us) you're wrong. I can still remember the first voilent image I saw on TV. It was the late seventies and "Dog Day Afternoon" was on. I walked in right when Al Pucino's brother gets shot in the forehead in the back of that car. I was horrified and that image has never left me.

Guest Sloth
Yes, I enjoy watching sports that have physical contact in them ala football, hockey, boxing, and MMA. I would say most pro athletes are not in it for "the love of the game." I think they lose that around the college years or even earlier in the case of basketball (AAU).

I can understand what you're saying about SOME athletes losing their love for the game at this stage. I loved running cross country and track in high school, but I lost that love when I ran for Mississippi State. If you're competing at a high amateur level, you often have to treat it as a job. If you don't produce, you could be given the "pink split." Some athletes simply lose the fun factor they once had. :cry:

I always thought martial arts was about discipline. It was about inner peace and being mentally and physically at your best. Isn't throwing two practitioners of martial arts into a ring for money bastardizing everything martial arts stands for? If you truly love martial arts shouldn't you be outraged and offended that it is being turned into something ugly and demeaning? I have always thought the last thing a practitioner of martial arts ever wants to do is to use martial arts on another human being.

Martial arts is a generic term, it doesn't really stand for anything beyond -

Martial = Military = Combat.

Some disciplines may have spiritual dimensions, but don't kid yourself, they were developed precisely for use on human beings.

People training in Muay Thai are learning how to knock someone out cold with a knee or elbow to the head. In Aikido, a defensive discipline, you learn how to break hands, arms and legs, which also incapacitate.

Though some may have an ethical problem with the prizefighting or using their discipline for self-advancement, I doubt any serious practitioner of a martial art style would liken MMA to dogfighting.

Probably K-1 is the most commercialized in Asia.

Ditto. Every time I come across it, I see one dude sitting on top of another turning his face into hamburger. It just doesn't seem very exciting.

I agree with both of you and for the record, the staff at WGR seems split on whether or not this is sport. I understand what DeLuca was saying, but he seems to be slamming the whole staff for the opinions of a couple.

I remember reading somewhere that Aleksandr Karelin, who is arguably the best superheavyweight Greco-Roman wrestler of all time, commented about it. He didn't have a high opinion of it.

With regards to the 2nd bold, when was the last time you watched Stripes?

I agree with both of you and for the record, the staff at WGR seems split on whether or not this is sport. I understand what DeLuca was saying, but he seems to be slamming the whole staff for the opinions of a couple.

I did refer to the morning show that I had listened to. If my post came across as referring to all WGR staff members that was not my intention.

I do have say I was listening to WGR for a few minutes this morning. I listened up until the point where they played the MMA audio clip at which point my radio was turned to another station.

Archived