Worst Trades

Buffalo Fan

Can't remember if this was brought up in previous conversations, but how about

Ray Sheppard to NY Rangers for cash and Future Considerations????

Who approved this winner? :wallbash:

I think my worst trade I remember is Keith Carney for Craig Muni..Muni was an aging defensman and Carney was a very solid up and coming defensman...I didnt like that deal at all back then and every year Carney keeps playing it gets worse..

Peca for Connolly and Pyatt.

So Peca had his knee busted out by Tucker, and hasn't been the same since, sure. No telling if that would've happened had he stayed.

At the time, it was a lousy trade, and given Pyatt's status as a bust and Tiny's injuries, it's a lousy trade today.

Hindsight is 20/20. Gotta love it.

So Peca had his knee busted out by Tucker, and hasn't been the same since, sure. No telling if that would've happened had he stayed.

At the time, it was a lousy trade, and given Pyatt's status as a bust and Tiny's injuries, it's a lousy trade today.

Got horrible value there, but the Sabres didn't have much choice.

Mike Ramsey for Bob Errey always stunk, but I know the Sabres were trying to give Ramsey a chance for a Cup. Oh, and while I was searching for info on the Svoboda trade, I came across this fun little Sabres trivia game: http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz498475b7ad0.html

I disagree.

Pyatt was the product of a crowded line-up in Buffalo. He's more valuable to Vancouver now than Peca is to anybody.

And actually wasn't bad in the 2005-06 Playoffs. He is still young and should just start coming into his power forward years.

While everyone is discouraged by Connolly's injuries. Peca gave the Island about 3 good seasons, as has Connelly for the Sabres since the trade.

I disagree.

Pyatt was the product of a crowded line-up in Buffalo. He's more valuable to Vancouver now than Peca is to anybody.

And actually wasn't bad in the 2005-06 Playoffs. He is still young and should just start coming into his power forward years.

While everyone is discouraged by Connolly's injuries. Peca gave the Island about 3 good seasons, as has Connelly for the Sabres since the trade.

Connolly has only given the Sabres 1 good season, Remember how up until the lockout he was considered by many to be at the level of Peters, Max, and Kotalik, guys people would give up for a bag of pucks just to get rid of right now. He had the one good season that changed everyones mind, got hurt (again), was given a nice new contract, missed another year, came back at the end and didn't do much in the playoffs, and then played about half a season going back and forth between the ice and the injured list.

I do agree about Pyatt, he never had much of a chance due to overcrowding, and never fully developped, but is looking pretty good in Vancouver, but that could be due to the players around him too, its hard to say. I wouldn't call him a bust though. Atleast it was something for Peca, instead of letting him walk for free

The Worst trade of all-time made by Buffalo has to be the trade with Phoenix for Briere. He sucks, and has only had 2 season with over 70 points! (although before injury, he was on pace to make it 3). He doesn't play D and his +/- is bad! Plus he disapeared in the playoffs, you know, the ones where he was the teams leading scorer. He also registered 0 points in game 7 against the Canes!

I would probably go with Dominik Hasek holding the team hostage preventing them from getting Sergei Federov and instead got Slava Kozlov and a bag of pucks aka Jim Slater who does not play for Buffalo but plays for the Thrashers. Then they trade Kozlov to Atlanta who was completely worthless in his only season with Buffalo for more bags of pucks aka second and third round draft picks which were both subsequently traded away and never used by the Sabres. So basically, Hasek was traded to Detroit and the Sabres netted zero from that trade aside from one injury plagued season by Kozlov. That is hands down the worst trade in Sabres history.

Combine that with the nothing the Sabres got out of the Kozlov trade with Atlanta, I'd go with those as the two worst trades in Buffalo Sabres history. Dominik Hasek for basically nothing!

I would probably go with Dominik Hasek holding the team hostage preventing them from getting Sergei Federov and instead got Slava Kozlov and a bag of pucks aka Jim Slater who does not play for Buffalo but plays for the Thrashers. Then they trade Kozlov to Atlanta who was completely worthless in his only season with Buffalo for more bags of pucks aka second and third round draft picks which were both subsequently traded away and never used by the Sabres. So basically, Hasek was traded to Detroit and the Sabres netted zero from that trade aside from one injury plagued season by Kozlov. That is hands down the worst trade in Sabres history.

Combine that with the nothing the Sabres got out of the Kozlov trade with Atlanta, I'd go with those as the two worst trades in Buffalo Sabres history. Dominik Hasek for basically nothing!

All true but ... when you consider they got him for basically nothing ... hockey gods giveth, hockey gods taketh away ...

I'm having trouble completely tracking it down, but we also got two picks from Hasek, a first rounder in 2002 and a conditional pick in 2003. That 1st round pick was packaged with Mike Pandolfo (a complete flop) for an earlier first round pick that year which was used on Dan Paille. I can't find the conditional pick at all, but if it went where I think it did, it was a complete waste, just like the picks we got for Slava. It's not much, but at least they got something out of it. Obviously it wasn't enough, but Paille doesn't qualify as basically nothing.

Archived