All Time Great Playoff Performances

bob_sauve28

Every year someone rises to the occasion to lift their team, but some years see players really elevate. The VS. crew brought up John Druce from 1990, 15 goals in 16 games or something, but he was a dud after that.

I remember Dino Ciccerelli as a Rookie for the North Stars having a great playoffs. Who can forget Ron Hexstall for the Flyers in 1987? That was a great finals that year. Claude Lemieux had a few great years if I remember, as did Essa Tikenin. Sorry the names are all spelled wrong, but does anyone else have a few names from great playoffs of the past?

Oh, and that was a great game last night! I love watching the hand shakes at the end.

Every year someone rises to the occasion to lift their team, but some years see players really elevate. The VS. crew brought up John Druce from 1990, 15 goals in 16 games or something, but he was a dud after that.

I remember Dino Ciccerelli as a Rookie for the North Stars having a great playoffs. Who can forget Ron Hexstall for the Flyers in 1987? That was a great finals that year. Claude Lemieux had a few great years if I remember, as did Essa Tikenin. Sorry the names are all spelled wrong, but does anyone else have a few names from great playoffs of the past?

Oh, and that was a great game last night! I love watching the hand shakes at the end.

Craig Simpson and Bill Ranford in 1990.

Simpson was a decent player that got hot but Ranford just might be the worst goalie to lift the cup.

Of course he only had to outplay Andy Moog, who would have been the worst too.

What a crap year.

Simpson was a decent player that got hot but Ranford just might be the worst goalie to lift the cup.

What a crap year.

Bob Nystrom's four overtime winners, which at the time were second only to Rocket's six and Ken Dryden winning the Cup a year before he won the Calder Trophy cpome immediately to mind for me.

What a crap year.

Remember Petr Klima? Third OT winner. And Simpons was one of several emigres to come to Buffalo with Muckler. Didn't work out too well

Bob Nystrom's four overtime winners, which at the time were second only to Rocket's six and Ken Dryden winning the Cup a year before he won the Calder Trophy cpome immediately to mind for me.

Including one that put Buffalo in a real hole that year. That's great one, had forgotten about him and those OT goals.

Remember Petr Klima? Third OT winner. And Simpons was one of several emigres to come to Buffalo with Muckler. Didn't work out too well

But Simpson did look just like Randy Wood, so at least that much was entertaining.

Greatest individual performance ever - Danny Briere last year. THREE goals in 16 games and LED the Sabres in "scoring".

I mean, Briere's historic playoff run last year is referenced on here enough, it must have been an all-time great - right? nfreeman? tom? :unsure:

Greatest individual performance ever - Danny Briere last year. THREE goals in 16 games and LED the Sabres in "scoring".

I mean, Briere's historic playoff run last year is referenced on here enough, it must have been an all-time great - right? nfreeman? tom? :unsure:

Boy, I missed the part where all time greats score a lot of goals EVERY playoff season and win Stanley Cups year after year after year...

Wow, he had one low year in between two outstanding ones. Now he's in the ECF in Philly... 3 in a freaking row. <_<

Can't speak for Free but I bet I only referenced last year's series a couple of times. The body of work a long with the inanae arguments putting him down for everything he is not require little need to include that playoff year in the argument.

However, if you, like DeLuca believe that a player should be the best every year, I'll enter that argument when you find me the player that we are putting him up against.

I can't stand the Flyers, but I have to give credit to Umberger. He's come a long way since Soupy's hit on him a couple of years ago.

that's exactly where i am - if what that kid is doing now is a sign of things to come (rather than a flash in the pan), then that franchise deserves a lot of credit for finding and then being patient with him - the flyers generally and r.j. specifically could not have looked more pathetic than when we decided to put the petal to the metal in 2006 ... what a difference a couple of years makes.

Archived