Goalies achieving playoff success this year

nfreeman

In watching the playoffs this year, and thinking about re-signing Miller, I've noticed that most of the NHL's big-name goalies aren't doing much.

Elite NHL goalies who either didn't make the playoffs or are probably bounced in the 1st round:

Didn't make it:

Luongo -- most people's top choice for #1 in the NHL

Vokoun -- didn't get the Panthers over the hump

Leclaire -- was 7th in the NHL in GAA

DiPietro -- postseason hip surgery 2 years in a row!

Miller

Bounced in 1st round:

Brodeur -- I thought he was the best goalie in the East this year; has looked lousy vs the Rangers

Giguere -- has also looked pretty shaky

Kiprusoff -- has played well but hasn't stolen a win

Hasek -- the Wings may or may not get bounced, but Dominik played lousy and was benched

Advancing to 2nd round (probably):

Price -- 20 years old!

Biron -- good for him

Fleury -- he's in a good spot.

Lundqvist -- he's played well but not amazing

Turco -- playoff monkey off back

Nabokov -- consistently very good

Theodore -- redemption season

Osgood -- will he stay in over Dominik?

I'm not sure whether this affects my thinking on giving Miller a big contract, but maybe it does.

Thoughts?

In watching the playoffs this year, and thinking about re-signing Miller, I've noticed that most of the NHL's big-name goalies aren't doing much.

Elite NHL goalies who either didn't make the playoffs or are probably bounced in the 1st round:

Didn't make it:

Miller

Bounced in 1st round:

Brodeur -- I thought he was the best goalie in the East this year; has looked lousy vs the Rangers

Hasek -- the Wings may or may not get bounced, but Dominik played lousy and was benched

Price -- 20 years old!

Biron -- good for him

I'm not sure whether this affects my thinking on giving Miller a big contract, but maybe it does.

Thoughts?

At least in the second period, last night, Theodore looked like Hasek in his prime last night.

What really puzzles me is that Hasek didn't blow a fuse being taken out of the game, no matter how lousy he played.

It's Dom. Not exactly someone who ever took critisism, no matter how vaild, very well.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if someone in the Red Wings organisation looked at him the wrong way during practice or something, prompting #39 to throw in the towel yet again.

Either that, or I'm just bored cause Buffalo isn't playing, and apparently the front office is on holiday as well.

What really puzzles me is that Hasek didn't blow a fuse being taken out of the game, no matter how lousy he played.

It's Dom. Not exactly someone who ever took critisism, no matter how vaild, very well.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if someone in the Red Wings organisation looked at him the wrong way during practice or something, prompting #39 to throw in the towel yet again.

Either that, or I'm just bored cause Buffalo isn't playing, and apparently the front office is on holiday as well.

Probably tore a groin muscle.

Didn't make it:

Miller

Bounced in 1st round:

Price -- 20 years old!

Biron -- good for him

Thoughts?

Wow, what a great post. Goalies are so hit or miss. I just think back to when we were developing Noronen, Biron and Miller and how long it took to get them to be vets and good players. It was a long frustrting time. Don't want to go through that again. I think you have got to sign Miller. This was his first year handling the load for a long stretch and it was tough on him, no doubt. I'm sure he will come back and be better for it. Gotta lock him up long term, IMO

BTW, did we see cracks in Price's game last night?? Like to see how he bounces back

When did he do that before?

When did he do that before?

1997 Buffalo-Sens series in which Steve Shields played all 7 games because of an alleged knee injury that Hasek had, which prompted him to punch out then Buffalo News writer, Jim Kelley, when questioning him on whether he actually had an injury or not.

2001 Pittsburgh-Buffalo series when the best goalie in the NHL gave up a soft floating goal to of all players Darius Kasparitis. The last goal he scored before then was in like 1995. Just kidding of course, but wow, what a soft goal and it looked he had quit.

And, then when he held the team hostage and forced them to trade him, and only for bad players, that was the last straw for me. The Sabres could have gotten Federov but he nixed that trade because he didn't want to go to a team if they were going to lose good players for him. That bothers me.

As for the topic at hand, I don't think Miller is the problem, it's the blue liners in front of him. I think we keep Miller.

1997 Buffalo-Sens series in which Steve Shields played all 7 games because of an alleged knee injury that Hasek had, which prompted him to punch out then Buffalo News writer, Jim Kelley, when questioning him on whether he actually had an injury or not.

2001 Pittsburgh-Buffalo series when the best goalie in the NHL gave up a soft floating goal to of all players Darius Kasparitis. The last goal he scored before then was in like 1995. Just kidding of course, but wow, what a soft goal and it looked he had quit.

And, then when he held the team hostage and forced them to trade him, and only for bad players, that was the last straw for me. The Sabres could have gotten Federov but he nixed that trade because he didn't want to go to a team if they were going to lose good players for him. That bothers me.

Don't forget him bailing on Ottawa in 05/06 - He was expected to be back for the last month or so of the regular season, but kept complaining about pains even though the Ottawa docs had cleared him to play weeks, if not months, ago. The Sens kept waiting and waiting for Dom to come back and play in the postseason, but to no avail.

Then there's the issue of when he bailed on Detroit after coming out of retirement. The Red Wings fully expected Hasek to recover from an injury - I believe it was his groin again - the docs were on the verge of clearing him to practice, when Dom himself came out and announced he was done for the season. This was around new years.

Like I said though, it's just the conspiracy theorist in me, I have no reason to believe Hasek would bail on the Wings at this point in time, but stranger things have happened.

I'm bored, remember? ;)

Added the number of regular season games played.

Didn't make it:

Luongo -- most people's top choice for #1 in the NHL - GP: 73

Vokoun -- didn't get the Panthers over the hump - GP: 69

Leclaire -- was 7th in the NHL in GAA GP: 54 (Good - any Hitchcock team should miss the playoffs)

DiPietro -- postseason hip surgery 2 years in a row! - Was on pace for a 70ish GP

Miller - 76 freakin games played

Ward - 69 GP

Bounced in 1st round:

Brodeur -- I thought he was the best goalie in the East this year; has looked lousy vs the Rangers - GP: 77

Giguere -- has also looked pretty shaky - GP: 58

Kiprusoff -- has played well but hasn't stolen a win - 76

Hasek -- the Wings may or may not get bounced, but Dominik played lousy and was benched - 43 (years old) 41 GP

Price -- 20 years old! GP: 41

Biron -- good for him GP: 62

Fleury -- he's in a good spot. GP: 35

Lundqvist -- he's played well but not amazing - GP: 72

Turco -- playoff monkey off back - GP: 62

Nabokov -- consistently very good - GP: 77

Theodore -- redemption season - GP: 53

Osgood -- will he stay in over Dominik? - GP: 43

06-07:

Giguere GP:56

05-06:

Ward GP:28

03-04:

Khabibulin - GP: 55

02-03:

Brodeur - GP: 73

What do I take away from this? Unless your name is Brodeur (and maybe Nabakov) and the puck carrier can be tackled without a call, you do not have a chance to win the cup if your goalie plays more than 60 games.

Didn't make it:

Leclaire -- was 7th in the NHL in GAA GP: 54 (Good - any Hitchcock team should miss the playoffs)

DiPietro -- postseason hip surgery 2 years in a row! - Was on pace for a 70ish GP

Ward - 69 GP

Bounced in 1st round:

Brodeur -- I thought he was the best goalie in the East this year; has looked lousy vs the Rangers - GP: 77

Hasek -- the Wings may or may not get bounced, but Dominik played lousy and was benched - 43 (years old) 41 GP

06-07:

05-06:

03-04:

02-03:

What do I take away from this? Unless your name is Brodeur (and maybe Nabakov) and the puck carrier can be tackled without a call, you do not have a chance to win the cup if your goalie plays more than 60 games.

Excellent post. Very interesting theory. Hard to argue with the facts. The last 3 cup winners, plus 4 of the most likely 5 cup-winners this year (Turco, Osgood, Price and Fleury, with Nabby being the exception) all had relatively light workloads. I'd really like to see Miller at less than 65 games next year, but I'm not that confident.

Hold both sides of the monitor. Good. Now if you see two, just close one eye.

If you see three, ignore the outer two and read the middle one. See. You're reading

again. Now drink another Moonie, those things won't stay cold forever.

I think it must be that Inky is wearing punch's glasses

Sure Dom won't squawk. He's a Red Wing. The reality is that once Hasek started playing in Detroit, he has acted like a model citizen. Call it maturity or whatever you want. The "I am a Red Wing forever" quote after all those years in Buffalo shows how highly he esteems the Detroit organization, one that consistently comes in first, gets over 100 pts. etc and doesn't go through the Florida Marlins-like building and rebuilding phases like the Sabres do. The Sabres of course must come pretty far down the list of organizations he likes, the Sens too. When it came down to it, he just didn't have it in him to give us the supreme effort it takes to win the cup. Apparently, he needs a Slam Dunk type of team to win the cup and now he just can't deliver.

For the Wings to pull the him out in the playoffs against the Nashville Preds, that just doesn't happen to the Dominator. I think Dom must be at the end of the line.

Maybe he'll go back to assaulting semi-pro roller hockey players in Czechoslovakia.

Didn't make it:

Ward - 69 GP

Bounced in 1st round:

06-07:

05-06:

03-04:

02-03:

Guess Bill Hoppe from the Olean Times should have checked out the work of n and KR before writing his column.

I'm not a fan of that column, because he takes one goalie who has had success with a heavy workload this year (but still hasn't gotten out of the first round and has played a little inconsistent this round) to make a point about Ryan's workload and ability to play 70+ games.

It looks so strange seeing Leclaire listed as an elite goalie. I guess time will tell on that one.

As for Ricky, I blame herpes for that hip surgery. (yes, I'll make random comments about his reputation during his one year in college)

And in a contract year too. Who would've guessed it? :rolleyes:

I bet he's back on the propecia.

Didn't make it:

Ward - 69 GP

Bounced in 1st round:

06-07:

05-06:

03-04:

02-03:

Taking this a step further:

There were six goalies who played 70+ games this year. Two of those goalies (Miller and Luongo) did not qualify for the playoffs. After Round 1 finishes tonight there will be two left - Lundqvist and either Kipper or Nabby.

Archived