Would next year be a good time to drop the slug?

carpandean

I was watching highlights of some of this year's action and at one point, they had a closeup of the crowd in Buffalo, who had the red-black unis with the goathead, alongside the blue-gold fans with the eyebrow and crossed swords. it was sad to see people sitting next to each other with uniforms that look like they belong to different teams.

the team has never got it together with the uniform. The Sabres have never had had a uni we could be proud of. a good traditional uniform. There's always been something wrong with it. the unstable ownership through the years couldn't even decide on what were the right colors for the organization. this to me is the hallmark of a franchise that can't make up their mind.

It's just that the ownership has always been into half-assed ways of doing things--including the uniforms. The current uni looks minor league.

It's an ownership thing guys. We're owned by the wrong guys.

I was watching highlights of some of this year's action and at one point, they had a closeup of the crowd in Buffalo, who had the red-black unis with the goathead, alongside the blue-gold fans with the eyebrow and crossed swords. it was sad to see people sitting next to each other with uniforms that look like they belong to different teams.

the team has never got it together with the uniform. The Sabres have never had had a uni we could be proud of. a good traditional uniform. There's always been something wrong with it. the unstable ownership through the years couldn't even decide on what were the right colors for the organization. this to me is the hallmark of a franchise that can't make up their mind.

It's just that the ownership has always been into half-assed ways of doing things--including the uniforms. The current uni looks minor league.

But the ownership changed during the time of different colors/logos. :unsure:

I believe the red/black/white switch was done under Seymour Knox III to correspond with the change in arena. The change to the slug was under Galisano's control. In between, was Rigas era.

At least Galisano was smart enough to recognize that the team should be in blue and gold again. Hopefully, that will never change and the red/black/white uniforms will fade away (note: I own several, but I wear blue and gold to games.) I would have preferred that they stayed with blue and gold the whole time -- even though I liked the red/black/white uniforms -- to be consistent. However, we are far from the only team with this problem. Most of the teams with classic logos (Hab, Leafs, Bruins, Red Wings, etc.) have had consistent uniforms, but a lot of the other teams have changed colors/logos a lot. Take a look at nhluniforms.com.

As for the current uniforms looking minor league, while the logo is ugly, the uniform itself (at least the home blue) it actually really nice. I own 5 authentics from various eras and, other than the logo, my current home jersey is one of my favorites. It actually does have "horns" built into the sleeves for the Buffalo part of our name, which is a nice touch. It would be great with a logo that incorporates the Sabres part, too. Even the original logo or some updated version on that jersey would make it one of the best in the league.

By the way, nhllogos.blogspot.com has the Sabres on their list of teams that are "confirmed" (by an unnamed source) to have been approved for a third jersey next season. Rumor has it as the same design as the 2006-07 third (throwback blue) jersey, but in the new, darker blue of the current home jerseys.

The original uniform and logo were great. All they had to do was make that one a bit more modern and most would have been happy.

The original uniform and logo were great. All they had to do was make that one a bit more modern and most would have been happy.

That's a hard concept, isn't it? Take a great design and just tweak it to modernize and freshen the look a little. No need to go flying off on different color tangents, no need for cutting-edge logos, no need to push the envelope. As much as I saying this, franchises like Boston, Detroit, Montreal, Edmonton and even the Leafs got it right when they kept their classic looks and just tweaked/updated them.

That's a hard concept, isn't it? Take a great design and just tweak it to modernize and freshen the look a little. No need to go flying off on different color tangents, no need for cutting-edge logos, no need to push the envelope. As much as I saying this, franchises like Boston, Detroit, Montreal, Edmonton and even the Leafs got it right when they kept their classic looks and just tweaked/updated them.

Other than Edmonton, all the teams you mentioned had the luxury of coming out of the original six so their "Classic" looks were just their "looks" at one time. And Edmonton's look was just an imitation of this when they came into the league(as was the Sabre's original look). I'm really tired of nastalgia. When I walked through the tunnel at The Ralph and saw the throw-backs on at the Winter Classic I was kind of PO'ed. It was supposed to be a showcase of the New NHL, but instead it only showed what the NHL used to be. I like the Slug and the new uniforms. I want to cheer for my New NHL team right now. When we win the Cup next year people will like these uniforms plenty.

Other than Edmonton, all the teams you mentioned had the luxury of coming out of the original six so their "Classic" looks were just their "looks" at one time. And Edmonton's look was just an imitation of this when they came into the league(as was the Sabre's original look). I'm really tired of nastalgia. When I walked through the tunnel at The Ralph and saw the throw-backs on at the Winter Classic I was kind of PO'ed. It was supposed to be a showcase of the New NHL, but instead it only showed what the NHL used to be. I like the Slug and the new uniforms. I want to cheer for my New NHL team right now. When we win the Cup next year people will like these uniforms plenty.

What does any of that have to do with anything? Those teams were smart enough to realize they have a classic look that didn't need to be updated and didn't need to grab a quick infusion of merchandise cash by rolling out entirely new looks.

And you were really pissed that they wore the classic looks? Seriously? Even though it was announced weeks in advance that the Sabres were wearing the white and the Pens wearing the powder blues? And FWIW - the game at the Ralph wasn't marketed as a showcase of the new NHL, it was called the Winter CLASSIC. All the promotional stuff was about the game going back to its roots, the pond hockey and all that.

Honestly I'm tired of the "stop living in the past" garbage I hear from people. The slug sucks. Period. The color scheme is OK, but the logo has got to go. It's a frigging embarrassment, easily the worst logo in the league - and that's saying a lot.

Holding a Cup over that hideous logo will not make me like that logo anymore than I like it now.

What does any of that have to do with anything? Those teams were smart enough to realize they have a classic look that didn't need to be updated and didn't need to grab a quick infusion of merchandise cash by rolling out entirely new looks.

And you were really pissed that they wore the classic looks? Seriously? Even though it was announced weeks in advance that the Sabres were wearing the white and the Pens wearing the powder blues? And FWIW - the game at the Ralph wasn't marketed as a showcase of the new NHL, it was called the Winter CLASSIC. All the promotional stuff was about the game going back to its roots, the pond hockey and all that.

Honestly I'm tired of the "stop living in the past" garbage I hear from people. The slug sucks. Period. The color scheme is OK, but the logo has got to go. It's a frigging embarrassment, easily the worst logo in the league - and that's saying a lot.

Holding a Cup over that hideous logo will not make me like that logo anymore than I like it now.

That business model of changing looks to generate income was not in place until those "Classic" looks were well established. But you're right (WARNING:SARCASM ZONE) I should continue to re-live "also ran" seasons and missed oportunities, searching for excuses why this or that did not happen. Instead of trying to adopt a new attitude and looking to the future with optamism.

Oh, and it was never the Winter Classic to me. I was always the Ice Bowl. :)

That business model of changing looks to generate income was not in place until those "Classic" looks were well established. But you're right (WARNING:SARCASM ZONE) I should continue to re-live "also ran" seasons and missed oportunities, searching for excuses why this or that did not happen. Instead of trying to adopt a new attitude and looking to the future with optamism.

Oh, and it was never the Winter Classic to me. I was always the Ice Bowl. :)

To flip your logic around - shouldn't they roll out new jerseys and a new attitude every time the team falls short? I didn't like the slug when it came out, but now it represents last year's team that lost in the ECF and this year's club that didn't make the playoffs. Why should I continue to relive all those painful memories every time the Sabres take the ice with the slug on their chest?

I also haven't heard a lot of Cubs fans clamoring for them to change their uniforms and logos despite a long history of failure. Also don't seem to recall a lot of Red Sox fans calling for changes when they were in their 80+ year championship drought.

But you're right - why would we want to use a similar scheme and logo to the ones that many Sabres fans grew up watching with their fathers? Why would we want to use a logo and color scheme similar to the one worn by the team's all-time greats - Perreault, Martin, Robert, Gare, Horton, LaFontaine, Hasek, and so many others? One that reflects the franchise's great history and memories? The Fog Game, the French Connection, Bat Man, the Sabres beating the Soviet Olympic team - heck, the logo even conjures up memories of the old barn set to be demolished. Nah - that's all in the past. We have to look to the future - so let's get a hip, cool, modern logo the kids will like, and you can open the garbage bin and toss everything else in there - piss on tradition and history. And of course, using a logo that we originally used definitely spells "no optimism for the future."

There is a HUGE difference between living in the past and honoring the team's history and traditions.

The original B&G and the original logo were, without a doubt, the best the franchise has worn. There is no reason why this team had to roll out such an abortion of a logo when Rbk showed up with their slick new uniform system.

To flip your logic around - shouldn't they roll out new jerseys and a new attitude every time the team falls short? I didn't like the slug when it came out, but now it represents last year's team that lost in the ECF and this year's club that didn't make the playoffs. Why should I continue to relive all those painful memories every time the Sabres take the ice with the slug on their chest?

I also haven't heard a lot of Cubs fans clamoring for them to change their uniforms and logos despite a long history of failure. Also don't seem to recall a lot of Red Sox fans calling for changes when they were in their 80+ year championship drought.

But you're right - why would we want to use a similar scheme and logo to the ones that many Sabres fans grew up watching with their fathers? Why would we want to use a logo and color scheme similar to the one worn by the team's all-time greats - Perreault, Martin, Robert, Gare, Horton, LaFontaine, Hasek, and so many others? One that reflects the franchise's great history and memories? The Fog Game, the French Connection, Bat Man, the Sabres beating the Soviet Olympic team - heck, the logo even conjures up memories of the old barn set to be demolished. Nah - that's all in the past. We have to look to the future - so let's get a hip, cool, modern logo the kids will like, and you can open the garbage bin and toss everything else in there - piss on tradition and history. And of course, using a logo that we originally used definitely spells "no optimism for the future."

There is a HUGE difference between living in the past and honoring the team's history and traditions.

The original B&G and the original logo were, without a doubt, the best the franchise has worn. There is no reason why this team had to roll out such an abortion of a logo when Rbk showed up with their slick new uniform system.

For those of us who went to their first Sabre game in 1970, this is very true. If we are not to cling to the past , why is the original logo on the players helmets?

But the ownership changed during the time of different colors/logos. :unsure:

I believe the red/black/white switch was done under Seymour Knox III to correspond with the change in arena. The change to the slug was under Galisano's control. In between, was Rigas era.

At least Galisano was smart enough to recognize that the team should be in blue and gold again. Hopefully, that will never change and the red/black/white uniforms will fade away (note: I own several, but I wear blue and gold to games.) I would have preferred that they stayed with blue and gold the whole time -- even though I liked the red/black/white uniforms -- to be consistent. However, we are far from the only team with this problem. Most of the teams with classic logos (Hab, Leafs, Bruins, Red Wings, etc.) have had consistent uniforms, but a lot of the other teams have changed colors/logos a lot. Take a look at nhluniforms.com.

As for the current uniforms looking minor league, while the logo is ugly, the uniform itself (at least the home blue) it actually really nice. I own 5 authentics from various eras and, other than the logo, my current home jersey is one of my favorites. It actually does have "horns" built into the sleeves for the Buffalo part of our name, which is a nice touch. It would be great with a logo that incorporates the Sabres part, too. Even the original logo or some updated version on that jersey would make it one of the best in the league.

By the way, nhllogos.blogspot.com has the Sabres on their list of teams that are "confirmed" (by an unnamed source) to have been approved for a third jersey next season. Rumor has it as the same design as the 2006-07 third (throwback blue) jersey, but in the new, darker blue of the current home jerseys.

Dougie Moss' girlfriend brought us the R&B shatanic goathead. (And teal and magenta jackets for the Mmarena ushers.)

Quinn said at the press conference that the 3rds were introduced that they'd be making them darker in the future, so it looks like he was telling the truth on that one.

Ok, after a dissapointing season and with a long time before we have signings/trades to talk about, I couldn't think of anything better to do than to revive the old anti-slug talk. ;)

Mostly kidding, but if the FO were looking for a time to do it, next year would be it. Make the necessary signings/trades and come back with a new look to fire up the team and the fans. Plus, I'm sure that slug sales have dropped off from their high last year, so a new jersey would bring a fresh surge of revenue for TG.

Carp, I like the logo you designed. I am not a big fan of the "1970" on it or your other models, but otherwise it looks pretty good. Just for reference, here are some designs I was fooling with back in 2006 before the official new blue and gold uniforms were released (if I recall correctly it was after the logo was leaked but before LQ confirmed it and long before the sweater design was released). Personally, I still think they all (mine and yours) look far better than the "slug" logo.

post-733-1210192712_thumbpng

And, just for fun, I also included some designs of where I thought the "slug" logo belonged (again, I made these immediately after it was leaked but not yet confirmed):

post-733-1210192983_thumbpng

Ok, after a dissapointing season and with a long time before we have signings/trades to talk about, I couldn't think of anything better to do than to revive the old anti-slug talk. ;)

Mostly kidding, but if the FO were looking for a time to do it, next year would be it. Make the necessary signings/trades and come back with a new look to fire up the team and the fans. Plus, I'm sure that slug sales have dropped off from their high last year, so a new jersey would bring a fresh surge of revenue for TG.

For the fun of it, here's something similar to our own SS logo:

post-1053-1207461181_thumbjpg

Flame on slug-haters and anti-slug-haters!

Anytime would be a good time to drop the slug. And it's definitely not an old issue...complacency takes over and people just deal with it. Some like it now, some hate it but act like there is nothing we can do. Not unlike gas prices!

Please stop by SabresNotSlugs.blogspot.com and voice your opinion on the blog and stay tuned to Nhllogos.blogspot.com as their designer Matt will be featuring a redesign of the Sabres. I can assure you ahead of time that it will blow the current logo out of the water.

I would love to write about Carpandean's and Screamin' Weasel's work...I've seen weasel's work elsewhere, nicely done. If you guys would like to contribute ideas and opinons on the blog, email me at info@sabresnotslugs.com so I can send you an invitation to contribute.

The logo is too much of a Bills ripoff...unoriginal and not distinctive at all...

Here is the result of my participation in project slug swap. A guy on eBay sold these based on one of the several conept logos available before the Sabres settled on the slug. Tell me if this is what was unveiled, would there still be any debate today about that stupid logo?

post-1523-1210688789_thumbjpg

post-1523-1210688844_thumbjpg

After several days to reflect, and watching all those clips of favorite goals, I gotta admit those original jerseys were(are/would be) pretty effin sharp. I still don't mind the slug, though. It reminds me of the SD Chargers. And as far as the tradition thing, I agree it's cool and all but it doesn't really mean that much to me. The two most exciting seasons of hockey I've watched in my life(IMO), the Sabres were wearing the Slug.(I know we lost the ECF's in a dissappointing way, but man, the Sabres were fun to watch the last two seaons)

I guess I'm sayin if they change back, great...if they don't, that's okay as well...as long as they win.

After several days to reflect, and watching all those clips of favorite goals, I gotta admit those original jerseys were(are/would be) pretty effin sharp. I still don't mind the slug, though. It reminds me of the SD Chargers. And as far as the tradition thing, I agree it's cool and all but it doesn't really mean that much to me. The two most exciting seasons of hockey I've watched in my life(IMO), the Sabres were wearing the Slug.(I know we lost the ECF's in a dissappointing way, but man, the Sabres were fun to watch the last two seaons)

I guess I'm sayin if they change back, great...if they don't, that's okay as well...as long as they win.

Fair enough. I just get tired of the "let's live in the past" garbage that seems to come up every time someone complains about the slug and wants to go back to something similar to the original logo. Screamin's stuff and the Celsius Logo designs showed that the look could be updated/modernized with "flashier" jerseys and still keep the traditional Buffalo Sabres look.

Honestly, as much as I loved the original jerseys and logos, that look was getting a little tired looking in the early 90's. They could have used a tweaking and slight (you hear that, Larry? SLIGHT) modernization back then instead of going to the black and red.

At this point I'd be willing to compromise and wouldn't complain about the slug as the 3rd jersey logo if it meant going back to an updated version of our traditional logo on the home and away.

Plus I want to see the NHL go back to home whites and road darks, but that's probably another debate for another thread.

Anytime would be a good time to drop the slug. And it's definitely not an old issue...complacency takes over and people just deal with it. Some like it now, some hate it but act like there is nothing we can do. Not unlike gas prices!

Please stop by SabresNotSlugs.blogspot.com and voice your opinion on the blog and stay tuned to Nhllogos.blogspot.com as their designer Matt will be featuring a redesign of the Sabres. I can assure you ahead of time that it will blow the current logo out of the water.

I would love to write about Carpandean's and Screamin' Weasel's work...I've seen weasel's work elsewhere, nicely done. If you guys would like to contribute ideas and opinons on the blog, email me at info@sabresnotslugs.com so I can send you an invitation to contribute.

The logo is too much of a Bills ripoff...unoriginal and not distinctive at all...

Here is the result of my participation in project slug swap. A guy on eBay sold these based on one of the several conept logos available before the Sabres settled on the slug. Tell me if this is what was unveiled, would there still be any debate today about that stupid logo?

You have too much time on your hands... <_<

Let's go back to something like this. At least there was some creativity there.

As for the original logo, none of you will get an argument from me on that.

You have too much time on your hands... <_<

Let's go back to something like this. At least there was some creativity there.

As for the original logo, none of you will get an argument from me on that.

There is not enough time!

Carpandean, your concepts made their way to the nhllogo TOL site...

http://nhllogos.blogspot.com/2008/05/speaking-of-sabres.html

Best third jersey ever made. :worthy:

Thanks.

That's the first design that I have made that makes me smile each time I look at it. I just imagine a center coming up to the face-off with the red eyes glaring and the horns curled down (arms holding the stick) like a real Buffalo. That would be cool to see.

Archived