190 Foot Goal - Leafs at Island , last evening

millbank

You don't see that too often. The only fault you can have with Toskala is for not playing the puck directly in front of him so that if it took a hop it would hit him in the chest. It was hard to tell, but I doubt the puck not only hopped up in the air, but took a right turn at the same time. :rolleyes:

While we are talking Islanders:

Conventional Wisdom 2007: DiPietro's 15 year contract is ridiculous

Conventional Wisdom Fall 2007: That contract will look like a bargain by year 8. Let's lock everyone up long term.

Conventional Wisdom Spring 2008: DiPietro has a wanky hip with 14 years left.

GM's: None of us last that long so who gives a #%^$#!!

It amazes me that more players don't try similar things. You used to see that all the time. Instead of the lame "flip into the corner" as you head off on a change, they would try flipping a high lob on goal. The puck takes funnier hops than a football does and can easily jump past the goalie. I cannot remember the last time i saw a Sabre player try that.

it looked like he had it lined up pretty well. his glove was practically in front of him anticipating the final bounce. unfortunately, it took that last whacky bounce and veered to his left drastically...like a baseball hitting the lip of the infield on an otherwise easy grounder.

it reminded me of the goal lindros scored from the blue line vs. fuhr when he just wristed it in on net with about a second to go in the second period, and it was well over the net. grant put his glove up over his head (standing straight up, no less) to catch it anyway, and it was just hard enough that it deflected right down past his head and into the net. absolutely heartbreaking, but the term "fluke goal" didn't just materialize for no reason. sh!te happens.

It amazes me that more players don't try similar things. You used to see that all the time. Instead of the lame "flip into the corner" as you head off on a change, they would try flipping a high lob on goal. The puck takes funnier hops than a football does and can easily jump past the goalie. I cannot remember the last time i saw a Sabre player try that.

I remember the Bruins would do it to Bob Sauve and everyone would hold their breath watching him turn into a shortstop on a bouncing or rolling puck - of course you could change lines on icing then.

I remember the Bruins would do it to Bob Sauve and everyone would hold their breath watching him turn into a shortstop on a bouncing or rolling puck - of course you could change lines on icing then.

Oh yeah.. it was a normal event back then. I know you can't do it from you're own side of the red line anymore... but still, you see players gain the red..get near the blue then just flip softly into the corner and head off on a change.. why not flip it on net?

Oh yeah.. it was a normal event back then. I know you can't do it from you're own side of the red line anymore... but still, you see players gain the red..get near the blue then just flip softly into the corner and head off on a change.. why not flip it on net?

The ice is probably never as bad as it was some nights when the puck looked like a rock rolling down a mountain side by late in the game, and now Goaltenders can go glove to stick and get a quick assist on a line change without the two line pass rule.

Goaltenders can go glove to stick and get a quick assist on a line change without the two line pass rule.

That right there is a good point. Still, i think that if you flip it high enough, the goalie will be WAY too concerned about a weird bounce to start thinking about a quick pass up ice. I seem to remember Jim Lorenz harping on this all the time... boy i miss him.

Man, I feel bad for Toskala. He's not that bad of a goalie to give up the ultimate softie like that. Ah well, he IS a Loaf, I can't feel too bad... :rolleyes:

Remember the one Tommy Salo gave up in the Salt Lake Olympics?

EEehILz83dI

Archived