Campbell is Soupy Dooper For Sharks

bob_sauve28

it still wouldn't surprise me if he comes back to buffalo at the end of the season with a reasonable deal and one less player's agent.

I would. The irony being that playing with Thornton will inflate his points and market value.

He's in line for a huge payday.

Being in the West he also has the advantage of the first go-round...it is not like

playing 12 stretch games against teams that know him well.

I would. The irony being that playing with Thornton will inflate his points and market value.

Being in the West he also has the advantage of the first go-round...it is not like

I agree that he's going to get some advantage by playing against people who aren't familiar with him and some of his moves but I think some of the weaknesses we have seen here in Buffalo will definitely be exposed in the much deeper and more talented (IMO) West. I think because the Sharks will win the division that they will get one of the weaker West teams and should be able to get through the 1st round but I think in a 7 game series against Dallas or Anaheim (most likely 2nd round opponents unless Detroit chokes hard again), they could get exposed.

I think the playoffs will have a big impact on Campbell's decision. But I do not think a discount will occur because of the NHLPA issue mentioned above. I live near Dallas and got to see the hell that Modano took from the PA after the lockout when he signed a 5 year deal at $5 mil per year. He was roasted and got a "serious talking to" from the NHLPA for taking that offer instead of a clearly higher offer from Boston. So just know that they will get all up in his business if the Sharks offer him a better deal and he comes back. Now, I'm not saying that if the Sharks offer 5 for $30 and the Sabres offer 5 for $29 that he'll get grilled. But if the Sharks offer $6mil/year for 5 years and the Sabres offer $5mil/year over the same time, he'll get grilled for taking the Sabres offer... Hopefully he'll move past that, but if not, that could be a concern...

it still wouldn't surprise me if he comes back to buffalo at the end of the season with a reasonable deal and one less player's agent.

If he does, then I will cheer for him again. Until then, however, he is just another player on a different team. Unless a miracle occurs (i.e., we make the Stanley Cup finals), we won't even face him this season.

I think because the Sharks will win the division that they will get one of the weaker West teams and should be able to get through the 1st round but I think in a 7 game series against Dallas or Anaheim (most likely 2nd round opponents unless Detroit chokes hard again), they could get exposed.

Interesting thoughts all. If the playoffs started today it would be Sharks-Flames.

If Dallas manages to catch them, they probably play the Ducks.

Either way, there is no easy road for them. I just have a hunch it will be another first

round exit for them.

Doug Weight did that when he went from St. Louis to Carolina in a trade. Then he signed with the Blues as a FA in the offseason.

I think there are others, too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Even though it's been done by others, I doubt Campbell's coming back.

Doug Weight did that when he went from St. Louis to Carolina in a trade. Then he signed with the Blues as a FA in the offseason.

Someone will pay him 6.5 X 7. Just wait and see. It won't be Buffalo.

You guys just cant give him credit for being a pretty good player can you...

You guys just cant give him credit for being a pretty good player can you...

Sure, he's a very good player. The argument is about valuation.

Thornton is a top 3 player in the league.

Saying that Joe Thornton will help your market valuation is no slight on Campbell.

C'mon.

I highly doubt Soupy's coming back to Buffalo. He knows what he wants. He "has to look out for #1" when you consider what happened to Zednik. His words, not mine. From Soupy's perspective, he's playing with his boyhood buddy in San Jose. Why leave that situation? Second, this is his last shot to get that uber payday. He's already not with Buffalo, so why not get the uber payday that you're looking for and the long term stability? That's probably what he's going to do. More power to him.

I don't buy too much into the NHLPA argument. I don't see the NHLPA all over Jarome Iginla for accepting a less than market value deal. I don't see the NHLPA going after Joe Thornton to signing a less than market value extension. The fact is, those two guys are $10 million/year players, but took about $3 million less per year to stay with their respective teams. I'd argue that Regehr and Phaneuf also took less than market value deals to stay with Calgary. The NHLPA has some influence, but not enough, especially when you consider the hometown discounts many guys are taking. If those guys sign extensions early and at home town discounts, I don't see why only Sabres players are impacted by this?

I loved Soupy. I miss him not with the Sabres. But, this renaissance he is having in San Jose should not be surprising. Everyone knows about his defensive deficiencies on this board. But because everyone on San Jose's blue line is slow and more defensive minded, they are able to cover up and stay back when Soupy attacks. He's going to get a ton of points and him being a liability in the defensive zone will get covered up a bit more in San Jose than it did here. But, at the end of the day, he will get exposed defensively. San Jose and other teams will see it.

Regardless, I miss Soupy, but he's not coming back. I've moved on. I'm hoping Teppo comes back soon and I hope we can make the playoffs. Long term, I want the makeup of this team's blue line to change. We should get John Michael Liles to replace Soupy's production. And we should acquire a tough defensive defenseman. Our blue line consistently makes bad decisions with the puck and turns it over in the defensive zone and are afraid to play the body in the slot, Soupy included while he was here. We need more of a physical presence from our blue line, and even if Soupy were to come back, it still wouldn't solve the problem.

Mark Recchi went back to Pens as well, after winning it with the DivingCanes.

Archived