Is Anyone Else Out There Worried?

bob_sauve28

They have not been playing well at all lately, but in their last 6 games, they have gotten 8 out of a possible 12 points, which isn't bad considering how injured they still are. But, the homestand prior to the last roadtrip was atrocious with 3 losses. So, their play is very worrisome. But, I'll begin to feel better once they start getting healthier and we get guys back in the lineup. Also encouraging has been the play of Zubrus. He has played well and been putting in a lot of effort as he gets more comfortable in the system. He may not be scoring a ton of points, but he's winning a lot of the physical battles in the corners, which is definitely something we lost with Gaustad and Kotalik, so that's a good thing as well. When we become fully healthy, I anticipate seeing better performance and a much more physical presence and a lot more speed. I'll be worried if they play like this after everyone comes back, but I'm not worried yet.

my worry is that we are never going to be fully healthy, and that the current team isn't good enough to beat the best teams out there 4 out of seven. However, I think that if we get a few bodies back and lengthen the bench, then this team can compete with anyone.

They have not been playing well at all lately, but in their last 6 games, they have gotten 8 out of a possible 12 points, which isn't bad considering how injured they still are. But, the homestand prior to the last roadtrip was atrocious with 3 losses. So, their play is very worrisome. But, I'll begin to feel better once they start getting healthier and we get guys back in the lineup. Also encouraging has been the play of Zubrus. He has played well and been putting in a lot of effort as he gets more comfortable in the system. He may not be scoring a ton of points, but he's winning a lot of the physical battles in the corners, which is definitely something we lost with Gaustad and Kotalik, so that's a good thing as well. When we become fully healthy, I anticipate seeing better performance and a much more physical presence and a lot more speed. I'll be worried if they play like this after everyone comes back, but I'm not worried yet.

Zubris was a good pick up. It is true we have been getting points, but they way we are playing won't win us a cup. I hope they are just sort of unfocuesed because they are not really playing for anything too important right now.

I felt more confident in the team last year at tail end of the season than I do with the team this year at this time. It's almost like Ottawa and the Sabres are having role reversals.

But I worry every year about everything so it's all par for the course for me. :lol:

Let me ask this, is there any case in which you wouldn't be worried? I'm as optimistic as anyone you'll meet, but I never ever take anything for granted.

Good answer.

As a followup to the initial post, what team would you rather be cheering right now? The Sabres, with all the injuries, have the best record in the league, and they haven't truly had anyone nipping at their heels all season. (Yes, Joisey got within 3 points, where are they now?)

They haven't looked unbeatable, but can you name a team since the Eulers of the mid-80's that has looked unbeatable?

Good answer.

As a followup to the initial post, what team would you rather be cheering right now? The Sabres, with all the injuries, have the best record in the league, and they haven't truly had anyone nipping at their heels all season. (Yes, Joisey got within 3 points, where are they now?)

They haven't looked unbeatable, but can you name a team since the Eulers of the mid-80's that has looked unbeatable?

I agree with everything you say on a rational level, but I'm not a rational person. :D Yes, its always a good time to worry!

What does really worry me is our inability to score when a team plays the trap against us. The Jersey game wednesday will be an interesting test. We should feel lousy about they way we played this weekened and the Devils are a key opponet. I hope they come out and score goals on these people.

My worry is that it's better than 50:50 that we play Ottawa in the 2nd round. At some point it's likely that Ottawa stops choking in the playoffs. They seem tougher and grittier this year than last year, and they are red-hot right now. I'm sure they are going to kill themselves to try to beat us in the playoffs. If Emery plays well they could pull it off.

Ottawa is the only team in the east that scares me. I think we can beat them, but I'd prefer it if someone else took care of it for us.

They've been ready for the playoffs since October. I think they're getting bored with the regular season

No offense, connee, but I've heard that from other posters, and I think it is a load of bull. If they can't be bothered to care about the regular season, big games, and their general effort, and think they'll instantly flip a switch and turn it on in the playoffs, then we should all be scared $hitless about an early-round exit.

No offense, connee, but I've heard that from other posters, and I think it is a load of bull. If they can't be bothered to care about the regular season, big games, and their general effort, and think they'll instantly flip a switch and turn it on in the playoffs, then we should all be scared $hitless about an early-round exit.

BM, even though they've lost a couple 100 man games due to injury, they still have the best record in the league. If they truly don't care about the regular season, I can't wait to see what they will do when they DO care. ;)

Oh I think they care, dave (despite Miller's comments and recent evidence to the contrary) - but I keep hearing this "they're just waiting for the playoffs" and "they're bored with the regular season" stuff over and over again, and I think it's ridiculous to even suggest that they are on cruise control until the "important games" start.

I felt more confident in the team last year at tail end of the season than I do with the team this year at this time. It's almost like Ottawa and the Sabres are having role reversals.

But I worry every year about everything so it's all par for the course for me. :lol:

so in the midst of what was it, seven losses in 9 games you were confident. If you remeber correctly that team didn't turn it back on until about 7 games left. Hopefully, this team will turn it around against NJ at that seven games left mark as well.

Oh I think they care, dave (despite Miller's comments and recent evidence to the contrary) - but I keep hearing this "they're just waiting for the playoffs" and "they're bored with the regular season" stuff over and over again, and I think it's ridiculous to even suggest that they are on cruise control until the "important games" start.

BM, I see your point.

I don't really think that anyone fully believes that the team is "bored with the regular season", or at least not many do, but it's a lot easier to type a response like that which covers the flavor of the issue than to write something far more nuanced. I also do not think they ARE on "cruise control" (although I'm certain the rest of my post will appear that I do believe they're on cc).

I think they do put forth a "good" effort on the majority of nights and a "great" effort or a "lousy" one on occasion. I don't think they intentionally "slack off" during games, but I do believe they don't go 100% all of the time. I'm certain this next statement will be misinterpreted, so I hesitate to write it, but I don't WANT them to give a 100% effort all the time. (At least not with where they are in the standings.) I think they'd be burned out and unable to pick their game up the extra notch required come playoff time, if they did; and I also think they'd see a LOT more injuries if they were constantly going balls to the wall.

I'm pretty happy with where they are AND with where I think they will bring their game to. There are definitely things I think they need to improve on, and I agree that it CAN be dangerous to not put forth 100% every night (see the Otters last year for proof), but it also can be dangerous to put forth 100% every night in the regular season (see any Detroit team from the last 10 years that went out in the 1st round for proof).

The Sabres, in large part due to their great start, have had the luxury of playing at less than 100%. I don't think they consciously play at less than 100% in certain games, but I do agree that it does happen. I also haven't seen any games that make me say "oh no, we're looking at the Otters w/ cooler colors and uglier logos". (Not even the 3 game "trap team" home losing streak that was truly painful to watch.)

Agree with dave_b. They keep saying that Buffalo isn't playing desperate and matching intensity... well they don't have to. They're in the playoffs. Ideally, they need to finish strong and win the conference/division, but they are not fighting for their playoff lives.

Plain and simple, teams like Toronto, NYI, NYR, etc. are fighting just to get in. They are playing desperate. It will either beneifit a team who just barely squeaks in (Edmonton last year) or it will burn them out. There's no need for guys to be unecessarily diving to block shots. The team is still playing with a lot of injuries and whether they are trying to or not, they are playing conservatively.

The last few games of the season, I think you'll see a much more focused & determined squad especially as some semblance of a healthy lineup returns.

Good answer.

Don't look now... Pitt is nipping to at 96 points and tied with that boring team from the swamps of Jersey... Still, the snoozes have a game-in-hand on the Pens... Not as close as 3 points though... Seven is a little breathing room...

Ottawa and Pitt can't win forever, their "slip" is showing too much as they pile up the victories and WILL be exposed in the postseason... Just my hunch...

BM, I see your point.

I don't really think that anyone fully believes that the team is "bored with the regular season", or at least not many do, but it's a lot easier to type a response like that which covers the flavor of the issue than to write something far more nuanced. I also do not think they ARE on "cruise control" (although I'm certain the rest of my post will appear that I do believe they're on cc).

I think they do put forth a "good" effort on the majority of nights and a "great" effort or a "lousy" one on occasion. I don't think they intentionally "slack off" during games, but I do believe they don't go 100% all of the time. I'm certain this next statement will be misinterpreted, so I hesitate to write it, but I don't WANT them to give a 100% effort all the time. (At least not with where they are in the standings.) I think they'd be burned out and unable to pick their game up the extra notch required come playoff time, if they did; and I also think they'd see a LOT more injuries if they were constantly going balls to the wall.

I'm pretty happy with where they are AND with where I think they will bring their game to. There are definitely things I think they need to improve on, and I agree that it CAN be dangerous to not put forth 100% every night (see the Otters last year for proof), but it also can be dangerous to put forth 100% every night in the regular season (see any Detroit team from the last 10 years that went out in the 1st round for proof).

The Sabres, in large part due to their great start, have had the luxury of playing at less than 100%. I don't think they consciously play at less than 100% in certain games, but I do agree that it does happen. I also haven't seen any games that make me say "oh no, we're looking at the Otters w/ cooler colors and uglier logos". (Not even the 3 game "trap team" home losing streak that was truly painful to watch.)

I couldn't agree MORE Dave!

I am worried about LUCK... Playoff hockey is a 50/50 prop in my eyes... You are gonna see a low seeded team pull off another upset this year!

Agreed with you there, but it will probably come from the Western Conference. The only other "upset" I see in the Eastern Conference will be Tampa Bay over Atlanta and whoever the 5 seed is beating the 4 seed in a 7 game series. I don't know if it will be Pittsburgh over Ottawa or New Jersey over Ottawa or Ottawa over New Jersey or Ottawa over Pittsburgh because just about anything can happen with those three teams, but whatever happens between those 3 teams, I don't think is a real upset at all.

If you are coaching against Buffalo, What line do you try to contain?

Briere

Drury

Roy

Any one of those lines could be the 1st line in most of the league.

I would be more worried about playing Buffalo than being Buffalo.

Just play the trap! One forechecker and everyone back. We really have had problems with that sh--

Archived