Time to call out Vanek

Crestwood

There are plenty of players on this team that need to have a fire lit under their rears, but my vote goes to Thomas Vanek. Sure, he had a stretch with like five goals in four games, but other than getting crosschecked from behind tonight, he's been invisible for three or four games.

Even beyond that, he often uses his considerable skill to get himself into situations where he only can give the puck away. He disappears in the defensive zone. His passes are soft and often too easily intercepted (especially on his own blue line). He still passes when he should just put the puck on net.

This has been going on for weeks now and it's really starting to irk me when he continually makes the same mistakes. To me, his constant mistakes outweigh any offensive production. It's time for Thomas to start scoring clutch goals and remember how to play team hockey. Otherwise, I wouldn't be sad to see him in the press box for another playoffs.

I have noticed Vanek's play waning of late. A thought occurred to me during tonight's game though. He missed practice yesterday with a nagging "lower body" issue. I wonder if he's got some lingering injury that is affecting his play. I hope so, because he's been really off of late.

I have noticed Vanek's play waning of late. A thought occurred to me during tonight's game though. He missed practice yesterday with a nagging "lower body" issue. I wonder if he's got some lingering injury that is affecting his play. I hope so, because he's been really off of late.

Good point, I'd forgotten hearing about that. If so, maybe it's time for Lindy to give him a game or two off and give Kaleta some more NHL experience.

It would be nice if we could get some of the injured guys back soon, so some of the regulars who appear to be beat up (Vanek and Teppo come to mind) can get a night or two off to rest/heal...

There are plenty of players on this team that need to have a fire lit under their rears, but my vote goes to Thomas Vanek. Sure, he had a stretch with like five goals in four games, but other than getting crosschecked from behind tonight, he's been invisible for three or four games.

Even beyond that, he often uses his considerable skill to get himself into situations where he only can give the puck away. He disappears in the defensive zone. His passes are soft and often too easily intercepted (especially on his own blue line). He still passes when he should just put the puck on net.

This has been going on for weeks now and it's really starting to irk me when he continually makes the same mistakes. To me, his constant mistakes outweigh any offensive production. It's time for Thomas to start scoring clutch goals and remember how to play team hockey. Otherwise, I wouldn't be sad to see him in the press box for another playoffs.

Agreed, amazing flashes at times. Mature defensive inefficiencies, my thought has been coaching personality conflict with him. It always seemed to me that Lindy has tried to push some buttons to get more out of him, Vanek is a strange bird. I think Max is the only one that compliments his game. Over the years, Max has developed some defensive basics. Overall, the team was tremendous blocking shots last year (led by McKee) What has Spacek brought to the party?

I wonder if it's just me that notices that Teppo seems to have a lot of passes bounce over his stick at the blue line? Does anyone else see this or am I just paranoid that every time they pass back the puck is gonna bobble over his stick?

And I love spacek but he's no McKee. Now that we're getting into the time of the season where teams have figured us out, this is where McKee was the most beneficial. I didn't miss him when the season started, but boy do I miss him now.

I wonder if it's just me that notices that Teppo seems to have a lot of passes bounce over his stick at the blue line? Does anyone else see this or am I just paranoid that every time they pass back the puck is gonna bobble over his stick?

And I love spacek but he's no McKee. Now that we're getting into the time of the season where teams have figured us out, this is where McKee was the most beneficial. I didn't miss him when the season started, but boy do I miss him now.

I've noticed it. I've also noticed that we don't pass the puck that well any more. Especially on the power play, it's like every pass has to be overhandled and settled down. Power play by numbers. 1 to 2, 2 to 1, 1 to 3. It can be excruciating to watch, even more so when compared to some of the slick PPs we face.

Bad ice? Tight hands? I don't know.

A belated welcome to the board, d4rk. Looks like you might find a home here. :)

I've noticed it. I've also noticed that we don't pass the puck that well any more. Especially on the power play, it's like every pass has to be overhandled and settled down. Power play by numbers. 1 to 2, 2 to 1, 1 to 3. It can be excruciating to watch, even more so when compared to some of the slick PPs we face.

Bad ice? Tight hands? I don't know.

A belated welcome to the board, d4rk. Looks like you might find a home here. :)

lol thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

and thanks for welcoming me to the board. I needed somewhere to vent about the team when I'm here in Rochester for college.

If he is banged up, maybe they should give him a night or two off to heal up once Kotalik & Paille are back. He certainly doesn't look like the same player as just a couple weeks ago, let alone earlier this season. He seems a step slower, lagging behind the play, and avoiding contact more than before - when is the last time he went in front of the net on the PP?

maybe at this point of his career he just doesn't have the stamina to go 82 games.

he's tailing off now, although you never know with a hot and cold guy like that.

in any case it might also be a case of confidence. his last two shootouts, including

tonight against the aPens, hate to say but it looked like his heart wasn't in it.

tonight's PS was lame.

But then again PS is a non-hockey way to end a hockey game.

Vanek looks like he's playing hurt. The fire he showed game after game earlier this season wasn't a mirage. His rather pathetic shootout attempt tonight was symbolic. Lindy probably should have had someone else out there, like Drury.

Vanek and others are also starting to show the wear and tear of attempting to make up for the missing production of all the injured guys, as others have suggested.

There was a play in the first period where Roy tore through the neutral zone and crossed the blue line like a bat out of hell... only to have the play whistled dead because Vanek had lackadaisically floated offside seemingly without any knowledge of where he was. The shot of Roy's frustrated look after the whistle said it all.

maybe at this point of his career he just doesn't have the stamina to go 82 games.

he's tailing off now, although you never know with a hot and cold guy like that.

in any case it might also be a case of confidence. his last two shootouts, including

tonight against the aPens, hate to say but it looked like his heart wasn't in it.

tonight's PS was lame.

But then again PS is a non-hockey way to end a hockey game.

He doesn't have the stamina to go 80+ games? :blink: This is his 3rd year of pro hockey and he should be used to the daily grind by now. If not, he needs a kick in the ass and a reminder to commit himself to a more rigorous strength & conditioning program.

On a side note...Vanek is the best reason ever to just get rid of the +/- stat. Someone would look at the current +/- leaders and proclaim that Vanek has become a great two way forward. In reality, he is still below average when the puck is not on his stick. He still does not like to battle along the boards and is often trailing the play coming back into the Buffalo zone. I'll be interested to see him in the playoffs this year and see if he is more willing to do the little things, then he was last year come playoff time.

All this being said, he is an amazing offensive talent.

Archived