Simon Suspended 22 Games

connee

Surprising, because that actually borders on an appropriate level of discipline. 30 sounded about right to me.

How about a lifetime ban if there is a criminal indictment. Just like there is no way Bertuzzi should be playing in the NHL right now. But I guess everything will be okay with the league if this goon starts bawling at the mic (ala Bertgoonzie) expressing his sincere regret for what he did.

Ah. Now I'm not so surprised. I was thinking 22 regular season games, and he wouldn't play in the playoffs at all.

Oh well, at least it's some sort of somewhat meaningful punishment.

The Islanders are saying Simon might have a concussion...how would that affect the suspension I wonder?

How about a lifetime ban if there is a criminal indictment. Just like there is no way Bertuzzi should be playing in the NHL right now. But I guess everything will be okay with the league if this goon starts bawling at the mic (ala Bertgoonzie) expressing his sincere regret for what he did.

If we did what Simon did it would be 22 Months

Disappointed. It's not a bad suspension, but I was hoping the NHL would really throw down the hammer on this one. Guess they chose not to, and probably because Hollweg wasn't really hurt that bad...

BTW, is Newsday have a pro-Rangers paper? Sure looks like it from that article:

The incident occurred Thursday night at Nassau Coliseum during an overheated battle between neighborhood rivals. At 13:29 of the third period in a 1-1 game, Hollweg drove a shoulder into the No. 12 on the back of Simon's jersey, lifting him off the ice and into the glass. After falling and then rising on wobbly legs, Simon retaliated almost immediately with a lefthanded swing that caught Hollweg in the mouth and dropped him on his face to the ice, where he lay motionless for several minutes.

Simon received a match penalty for deliberately injuring Hollweg, who received two stitches in his chin, and the Rangers scored on the ensuing major power play to beat the Islanders, 2-1.

Yesterday Simon was said to be experiencing concussion-like symptoms after being checked into the glass. The Islanders did not release an official diagnosis, but a spokesman said Simon was examined Friday at ProHealth Care Associates in Lake Success.

The NHL is denying the report (of the 22 game suspension): here.

Mar 10, 2007, 1:49 PM EST

NEW YORK -- Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations, conducted a disciplinary hearing this morning with New York Islanders forward Chris Simon, Islanders team representatives and a representative of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

A decision relative to that hearing has not yet been made. Any report to the contrary is false.

The NHL is denying the report (of the 22 game suspension): here.

Mar 10, 2007, 1:49 PM EST

NEW YORK -- Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations, conducted a disciplinary hearing this morning with New York Islanders forward Chris Simon, Islanders team representatives and a representative of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

A decision relative to that hearing has not yet been made. Any report to the contrary is false.

Hmmm.. me thinks this was a trial balloon.... I wonder if the NHL read message boards and listens to sports radio. Might be trying to gauge reaction.

If you are reading this Colin and company, I think 22 games is about right. Wipe away the regular season and at least one playoff series.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=199575&hubname=

NEW YORK (CP/TSN.ca) - NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell met with New York Islanders forward Chris Simon and team representatives Saturday morning, but made no immediate decision on a suspension.

Earlier today, TSN.ca posted a story stating that Simon had been suspended for 15 regular season games and seven playoff games, an inaccurate report that should have been attributed to Madison Square Garden Network. TSN regrets any inconvenience this may have caused.

looks like that's on hold for now. My guess is that it will be longer than 22 games... a lot longer...

Anything less that the rest of the season (including playoffs) is disgraceful from Campbell and whoever else has a say. If they don't suspend him for the entire remaining schedule, they are just sending the message that this league thinks it's OK for someone to use their stick as a weapon.

Disappointed. It's not a bad suspension, but I was hoping the NHL would really throw down the hammer on this one. Guess they chose not to, and probably because Hollweg wasn't really hurt that bad...

BTW, is Newsday have a pro-Rangers paper? Sure looks like it from that article:

Bmwolf21.......LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!!!

A flood of memories just came back, "Blades.......Of........Steel"

We'd hit reset about 100 times just to hear the Nintendo talk.

Newsday pulled the story!! Something fishy is going on. I wonder if this has to do with the Islanders announcing a possible injury.

From NBC:

Report: Simon suspended for 22 games

Updated: Mar.10, 2007, 2:17 pm EST

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP) -- Chris Simon met with NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell on Saturday, where he was told the extent of his suspension for his vicious two-handed stick attack to the face of New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg.

MSG Network reported that Simon has been suspended for 22 games -- the 15 remaining regular season games and the first seven in the playoffs.

The New York Islanders forward, suspended indefinitely Friday for his retaliatory hit against Hollweg the night before, attended a disciplinary hearing at the league office in Manhattan along with representatives from the team and the NHL players' association.

The NHL denied that a decision had been made.

Chris SimonBruce Bennett/Getty ImagesChris Simon leveled Ryan Hollweg with a stick attack to the face, leading to calls for the NHL to make an example of him.

Hollweg took a few stitches in the chin, but was not seriously hurt. Simon likely will be feeling the sting of his actions for quite some time.

Simon didn't feel well Friday after a team photo was taken and went to see a doctor, an Islanders spokesman said. Simon appeared to be shaken up when Hollweg checked him hard into the boards, sparking the retaliation.

Simon also might face legal troubles in New York.

A spokesman for Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said Friday that "no decision has been reached" about whether to bring charges against Simon.

"We are going to review the tape," spokesman Eric Phillips said.

This marked the sixth suspension Simon has been given by the league, which could work against him when the punishment is meted out.

Simon was ejected from the Islanders' 2-1 loss with 6:31 remaining in what was a tie game. The ensuing major power play resulted in Petr Prucha's decisive goal.

Hollweg drove Simon into the boards with an unpenalized hit. Simon got up angrily and met him as they came together again, connecting with a swinging motion near Hollweg's chin and neck. Hollweg fell to his back and rolled over onto his stomach by the boards.

He was motionless for a few moments, and was bleeding from the chin when he got up. Yet, he was well enough to practice with the Rangers on Friday and was in the lineup Saturday for New York's game at Pittsburgh.

If history is any indicator, Simon could be shelved for a long time.

McSorley was suspended for the final 23 games of the 2000 season for knocking out Donald Brashear with a swinging stick. The ban was extended until February 2001 by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, and McSorley never played in the NHL again.

Bertuzzi missed the final 13 regular-season games and the playoffs because of his blindside punch to the head of Colorado's Steve Moore on March 11, 2004. But the banishment was extended to 17 months and prevented him from playing anywhere during the yearlong NHL lockout.

He was reinstated by Bettman before the 2005-06 season.

McSorley and Bertuzzi both were charged by Vancouver authorities for their attacks. Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to causing bodily harm, and McSorley was convicted of assault with a weapon.

Simon was suspended four other times for violent on-ice acts and received a three-game ban in 1997 after directing a racial slur toward player Mike Grier, who is black.

During the playoffs in 2000, Simon sat out Game 2 of a series against Pittsburgh after he cross-checked Penguins defenseman Peter Popovic across the throat in the opener while with Washington.

In April 2001, Simon received a two-game ban for elbowing Anders Eriksson of Florida. He then was given a pair of two-game suspensions in 2004 -- for cross-checking Tampa Bay's Ruslan Fedotenko and then jumping on him and punching him, and for kneeing Dallas defenseman Sergei Zubov.

Simon, a veteran of 14 NHL seasons, signed a one-year, $1 million contract with the Islanders last summer. That reunited him with Nolan, who was Simon's coach during his final year of junior hockey and took over behind the New York bench this season.

What Bertuzzi did is nothing compared to what Simon did, Simon assaulted a guy with a weapon.

Bertuzzi chased away a wanna be tough guy trying to fight, and then sucker punched Moore (which was cheap and deserved punishment). moores injuries came from hitting the ice and having people pile on top

Neither is something I think should be in the NHL, but Simons was so much worse.

There has been no suspension announced yet, and Simon issued an appology saying he was "Groggy" from the hit and not thinking straight

The latest I heard is this: The NHL was set to suspend, but Simon is now claiming that when he got boarded from behind (with no penalty called) he suffered a concussion, was "out of it", and is not responsible for his actions. The Islanders are backing him up on this. In other words, it looks like they are attempting to blame the NHL for the incident, because they did not call a penalty. The NHL must have leaked the suspension, then took it back. Simon issued a statement today saying he was "out of it". Stay tuned!

The latest I heard is this: The NHL was set to suspend, but Simon is now claiming that when he got boarded from behind (with no penalty called) he suffered a concussion, was "out of it", and is not responsible for his actions. The Islanders are backing him up on this. In other words, it looks like they are attempting to blame the NHL for the incident, because they did not call a penalty. The NHL must have leaked the suspension, then took it back. Simon issued a statement today saying he was "out of it". Stay tuned!

well, its ridiculous, but at least by using the Chewbacca Defense, someone's finally trying to make the refs accountable.

well, its ridiculous, but at least by using the Chewbacca Defense, someone's finally trying to make the refs accountable.

it is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the NHL...they backed off today. Why? The 22 game suspension story didn't come out of thin air. :doh:

it is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the NHL...they backed off today. Why? The 22 game suspension story didn't come out of thin air. :doh:

You know what this is? This is the temporary insanity plea. By claiming Hollweg's hit gave him a concussion, it allows him to escape culpability for his actions because he had gotten the concussion by the time he swung his stick at Hollweg. Therefore, the concussion made him insane. What would be better is if he said something stupid like he doesn't even remember swinging his stick at Hollweg. That would be even more ridiculous. For example, he sees the video and he says, "I have no recollection of ever doing it. I know that's me, and I see me doing that, but I don't remember ever doing it." This is ludicrous. Chris Simon is a thug and an idiot. He has zero skill besides fighting. In all my years I remember him, all he has ever done is fight. He had one decent season when he played on a line with Peter Bondra and Adam Oates and I think got a bunch of tip in goals in front of the net. But, he's a thug and a racist. The worst part, is he has no right to be racist considering he is a Native American and has probably been the victim of racist comments himself. You would think he would be more sensitive, but I guess not. All-in-all, he should be banned for life from the NHL for that incident. He's a jerk and good for nothing.

Archived