Kalinin is HORRIBLE!!!!

cesna

Man, am I the only one who thinks Kalinin's play is once again taken a turn for the worse. I know he is a +13 but, he just seems like he is on the ice for every goal. He has no physical presence in front of the net and his partner seems to have played one to many years! I wish we had another option!!!!

I thought he looked good last night. I remember at one point he jumped into the play in the offensive zone 3 or 4 times within a few minutes. Most of those times as soon as the puck was cleared, he was back in the defensive end starting out again. There was alot of things to complain about last night, Kalinin was not one of them IMO.

He had 2 terrible give-aways late in the game...granted they were both with under a minute left, but what is he doing out there at that point in the game anyway? He really never was the same after Zhitnik left. That's when Kalinin was at his best.

A puck went in off his skate while he was trying to cover a Colorado player. What are you going to do.

Wolski actually got his stick on it, not to excuse Kalinin, who should have tied him up but I watched the replay several times and you can see Wolski's stick on Kalinin's side of Miller.

He could start a thread and act like the Sabres have only won three games all season because Kalinin is a -50 ytd. :bag:

Or, you could start a thread stating he is the single reason we are giving up costly goals. The guy is ULTRA soft in front of the net and what happened last not is not an anomaly!

Or, you could start a thread stating he is the single reason we are giving up costly goals. The guy is ULTRA soft in front of the net and what happened last not is not an anomaly!

Do you really think Kalinin is the SINGLE (as in ONLY) reason we give up the occasional costly goal? I missed the third goal, but the first two goals were both the result of incredibly bad back checking by our forwards more than else. Without those goals, the one that may or may not have gone off Kalinin's foot isn't so "costly."

I think you should take a look at Campbell's play. Since, he was voted an Allstar, he's done jack squat. He's playing cocky, not confident.

Kalinin has stepped up his play lately. I think he's taken the punishment on the message boards and in the media because it's easy to pick someone and just beat them down. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

It's like trading for Bill Guerin. People calling in and giving up half the team for him, while they don't know anything about him.

I don't think he is the best defender moving backwards, however, some of the moves he was making to carve up the Colorado trap last night were just sick. About this time last year everyone was

hammering on Lydman.

I think it all comes down to the fact that the's the least talked about defensman during games, which leads to people turning on him. They always have to find something to complain about. The guy would be a top 4 defenseman anywhere else, but people here talk about him like he's Hal Gill.

I think you should take a look at Campbell's play. Since, he was voted an Allstar, he's done jack squat. He's playing cocky, not confident.

Kalinin has stepped up his play lately. I think he's taken the punishment on the message boards and in the media because it's easy to pick someone and just beat them down. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

I think he takes the punishment and beating because we've seen his potential and he has shown that he can play at a high level, but in his 7th NHL season, he still can't figure out that whole consistency thing. I think his biggest problem is mental - specifically, I think his confidence is very fragile and if he starts to struggle, he gets tentative and that's when mistakes happen.

I'm as hard on him as anyone, but if we got the 2005-06 playoffs-version Kalinin on the majority of nights, I (and most fans) would be more than happy with his play and he wouldn't get half the flack he gets now.

I think it all comes down to the fact that the's the least talked about defensman during games, which leads to people turning on him. They always have to find something to complain about. The guy would be a top 4 defenseman anywhere else, but people here talk about him like he's Hal Gill.

Again, that's why people get so frustrated with him, IMO. He has the talent to be a top-4 almost anywhere in the league, but no one can convince me that he's played like a top-4 defenseman for most of the year.

I think I would be lost too with how Miller played that.

It happens.

I don't think you can blame Miller alone on that. He wanted to play the puck to Teppo, but the Avs player was on him much faster than he thought, plus the puck really slowed down as it came around the corner. In the future, he should just play it in the corner and take the delay penalty, instead of letting the opposition beat him to the puck with no help.

None of that excuses Teppo & Dmitri for both going behind the net and leaving the front open, however, just like Pommer skating past Hejduk on the shorty doesn't excuse Teppo or Zubrus for their part in that screwup...

A puck went in off his skate while he was trying to cover a Colorado player. What are you going to do.

That's the best you can do? trying to defending Kalinin by saying "what are you going to do?" .... I'll tell you what to do - find a forceful d-man with a mean streak who can clear the front of the net. I have seen it happen way too many times - Kalinin gets tangled up with an opposing player in front of the net, cannot move him, and then a puck goes in off his skate or body, leaving Miller defenseless. I am sick of it....that 3rd goal should have never happened last night.

That's the best you can do? trying to defending Kalinin by saying "what are you going to do?" .... I'll tell you what to do - find a forceful d-man with a mean streak who can clear the front of the net. I have seen it happen way too many times - Kalinin gets tangled up with an opposing player in front of the net, cannot move him, and then a puck goes in off his skate or body, leaving Miller defenseless. I am sick of it....that 3rd goal should have never happened last night.

Sounding a wee bit anti-Buffalo... <_<

Wolciazishck got a stick on it.

Sounding a wee bit anti-Buffalo... <_<

No, you are misguided Inkman - nice try though. If you read my comments you will clearly see I am anti-Kalinin, not anti-Buffalo. He is way too soft and does not use his size.

Wolciazishck got a stick on it.

and your point is? Mine is that Kalinin should have been more forceful in tying up Wolski, lifted his stick, SOMETHING, ANYTHING

No, you are misguided Inkman - nice try though. If you read my comments you will clearly see I am anti-Kalinin, not anti-Buffalo. He is way too soft and does not use his size.

and your point is? Mine is that Kalinin should have been more forceful in tying up Wolski, lifted his stick, SOMETHING, ANYTHING

You wrote it went off his skate or body.

Remember?

i'm always one of the first to criticize Kalinin, but i do appreciate the good that he does.

it simply seems to me that he's the "unluckiest" guy out there.

bad bounces, bad ice, bad choices have seemed to lure his way in the past, so since then...i've stapled him as such.

BUT, i do think that if you were to single out ANY player like i tend to single out Dimitri, you could make the same argument.

except of course, Hockey God - Chris Drury :D

Let's try an experiment. Just watch Brian Campbell's play over the next 2 games and ignore Kalinin. I guarantee, there will be a thread with the same title referring to Soupy's play.

We can all have a nice bitch session about him too.

I still think they finally played like a team with a bunch of guys on the injury list. They are going to lose games, have off nights. Of course, you don't expect it after 3 days of rest...

Archived