Drury favorite to return over Briere

inkman

Yes, good point. He is an excellent coach and can hold this thing together.

Lindy's contract expires this year. Even though I think he'll be back after having put this much work in putting this together, you never know. Money is a really strong motivator.

It's not even the city anymore. It's the money. Just look at Smyth.

Why do people continue to use this argument? These guys generally have one change to set themselves and their family for life. Why begrudge them that?

If a company in another state offered you thirty percent more money with a guarantee of six or seven years, what reasons would you have not to take it?

I've moved for better jobs numerous times in my adult life. I don't see athletes being any different, especially considering how volatile their industry is.

5. Roy-due a raise next year, but his best days are ahead

If Buffulo lets Derek walk I think you guys will really miss him down the road. I watched him play as a Kitchener Ranger in the OHL and really wish he played for the leafs (so I could watch him more often). The guy is going to become a really great player.

Why do people continue to use this argument? These guys generally have one change to set themselves and their family for life. Why begrudge them that?

If a company in another state offered you thirty percent more money with a guarantee of six or seven years, what reasons would you have not to take it?

I've moved for better jobs numerous times in my adult life. I don't see athletes being any different, especially considering how volatile their industry is.

The problem is, the fans are not making the money the players are, and most fans could live for a while off of a one year NHL salary. Also, these guys are playing a game as their career, they get to go to "wok" and get paid millions to do something must of us do for fun at home, or pay to play in a league.

The number that is being thrown around as the difference between what the oilers offered, and What Smith wanted is $300,000. (Oilers offered 5.4, Ryan wanted 5.7) Not much at all when you look at the numbers, but to the average fan thats 6-8 years of work for them. You mean to tell me that if Ryan Smith loved Edmonton as much as he cried about in his Press Conference in the airport, he wouldn't have taken that slightly less salary to stay an Oiler?

When your making enough money for your grandkids to live comfortably off of, It makes it harder for the average person to compare it to moving from Buffalo to Carolina to make 30% more a year

The problem is, the fans are not making the money the players are, and most fans could live for a while off of a one year NHL salary. Also, these guys are playing a game as their career, they get to go to "wok" and get paid millions to do something must of us do for fun at home, or pay to play in a league.

The number that is being thrown around as the difference between what the oilers offered, and What Smith wanted is $300,000. (Oilers offered 5.4, Ryan wanted 5.7) Not much at all when you look at the numbers, but to the average fan thats 6-8 years of work for them. You mean to tell me that if Ryan Smith loved Edmonton as much as he cried about in his Press Conference in the airport, he wouldn't have taken that slightly less salary to stay an Oiler?

When your making enough money for your grandkids to live comfortably off of, It makes it harder for the average person to compare it to moving from Buffalo to Carolina to make 30% more a year

I hate that argument because you're not putting yourself in their shoes, you're trying to put them in yours. It doesn't work that way.

People act like because these guys make huge money that their responsibilities aren't somehow different. They are. Most are breadwinners for a much large "family" than the folks that live in their house, because they can. They have many of the same worries you do, only extrapolated because more people depend on them.

Most also don't have skills that translate into earning potential down the road.

Don't get me wrong. I think Ryan Smyth is an AHole for that crap (blaming his agent is stupid - at the end of the day Ryno holds the cards). But if Briere goes to Montreal for less money than he's offered in Buffalo or somewhere else for more money, I'll tip my cap to him for his service here and wish him well.

And the "$300,000.00" number is BS. It's $1.5 MILLION over the life of the contract. That's a lot of money. A LOT. I won't be surprised if someone offers him even more than that this offseason.

I love both Drury and Briere. However, I'd keep 23.

Based on projections this year, Drury will have over 40 goals and Briere about 33. Drury plays penalty kill while Briere is mainly an offensive presence.

How many goals does the other team NOT score with Drury on PK over the course of the season? 10? 15? Its a number that could be measured (if they took account of such things....i guess +/- is somewhat of a measurement but doesn't count on PK or PP) In my formula, Drury would net the Sabres 50-55 goals and Briere would still only net the Sabres 33. 12-15 goals over the course of the season could amount to more wins.

Yes, you have a big hole to fill in terms of 33 goals, but with a healthy Connolly, a rookie Stafford and others can account for that. Turnover is a fact of life now in the NHL. We can't sign both of these guys.

Not to mention you would still have a current player on your jersey you just bought :lol:

I'm okay with choosing Drury over Briere as long as the contract does not average more than 5 mil per year.

As I posted previously, even if we lose both of them, there will be plenty of F/A's to choose from and the Sabres will have the 10-15 mil to spend, that they would have used if they had kept Briere and Drury.

2007 F/A list(a work in progress)...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=299042

I would love to keep Briere and Drury..

But looking at the facts..

Drury has won EVERYWHERE.

Drury plays the PP, plays the PK, plays in tight situations, shuts down opposing teams first line..

He's just way more versatile than Danny is.

While I would love to keep them both. I think the scoring Danny brings can be made up by Connolly and Stafford.. Hopefuly they have half the heart of Danny though.

Drury is the silent leader.

DAnny is the emotional one..

Together, they're mark messier..only with hair.

if the sabres choose to re sign briere over drury, people will complain and it will be over with... if the sabres choose to re sign drury over briere, people will complain and it will be over with. The sabres will be a better overall team with both of them, but if i had to choose one to stay over the other, i'd choose drury, sacrificing scoring ability for overall ice presence. Either way, people will complain and it will be over with.

I agree.

At this time, we need defense over scoring.

Vanek will have another season under his belt next year, and I see no signs of him slowing down his progress yet. If Connolly comes back too, it's a 100% no-brainer - Keep Drury around long-term, let Briere go to The Cryers if he wants to.

As I posted previously, even if we lose both of them, there will be plenty of F/A's to choose from and the Sabres will have the 10-15 mil to spend, that they would have used if they had kept Briere and Drury.

In theory that's nice but I don't think this team will go that route.

Of all the moves Darcy has made, this is the one that I really had and still have a hard time digesting. He could have low balled a base with escalators based on gp.

I'm curious how he was able to sell that contract to TG.

No he couldn't have.

That's the whole point. For most, it's the money, not the team or city. Fine, it's their choice. But don't stand there and CRY about just how bad you feel, hate to leave, etc etc.

Players can say whatever they want. There are no "hometown" discounts, so don't stand there and pretend that there is.

All that said, bottom line is I just don't see him being worth that much money, and I think Edmonton stretched the offer as it was. He still doesn't have a contract for next year. Hope it doesn't come back and bite him.

why not?

Well, we only have 2 offseasons to reference. The first one they signed a defenseman and traded for another, but this was a position of severe need. If they did not do that, Jillson/Janik/Paetsch would have all been regulars.

The next offseason they signed Spacek to replace McKee. In review I completely disproved my point and revoke any previous statements I have made in contradiction.

Seriously though, with all the young talent they have in the wings, I could see them letting both walk. Particularly if Connolly returns to form. :rolleyes:

Golisano is getting tired of jamming sugar packets into his pockets so maybe they will go with less salary this time around. It would at least make moves at the trading deadline easier. :thumbsup:

That's the whole point. For most, it's the money, not the team or city. Fine, it's their choice. But don't stand there and CRY about just how bad you feel, hate to leave, etc etc.

Players can say whatever they want. There are no "hometown" discounts, so don't stand there and pretend that there is.

All that said, bottom line is I just don't see him being worth that much money, and I think Edmonton stretched the offer as it was. He still doesn't have a contract for next year. Hope it doesn't come back and bite him.

It isn't just about the money. You never know what is said in these negotiations.

They can get toxic. Promises can get broken. Verbal understandings can whither,

and confidences can get betrayed and threats can get made. I don't think

Ryan Smyth's tears leaving Edmonton were less real than Jim Schoenfield's when he got

traded to Detroit.

It's all well and good to continue to hash this out, but does anyone know if either of these guys really wants to remain in Buffalo? As we all understand, nowadays, loyalty and even wanting to play on a winning team frequently does not do it. It's the money and city for many. We can only hope that whomever the Sabres decide to keep wants to remain in Buffalo.

I'd love for both of them to stay, especially if Connolly cannot make it back.

You bring up an interesting point. However, my impression, is that the city of Buffalo is not as offensive to NHL players (many from tiny Canadian towns), as it would be to, say, a hotshot running back out of Miami...I am always amazed by how many former Sabres still reside in WNY, even when playing for other teams.

I guess sometimes it is because of family ties (they marry Sabres groupies!), but there is also the thought that making the wages of an NHL hockey player, one could live pretty well in Buffalo. Also, if you grew up playing hockey, there are few places in the US that the sport is appreciated more, and, you have likely been dealing with cold weather your whole life. Toss in the fact that you are only a stones throw from Canada. I have heard NHL'ers describe playing hockey in the sun belt, or on the west coast, as miserable....I realize Drury is American, so none of this means much to him.

For me, I am torn on the "Briere vs Drury" thing. I have always loved Drury. I used to think we had enough guys that could replace Brieres' production, if we were to lose him. Lately though, I am not as sure. The guy is really otherworldly at times. Strange though, despite all that, it is Drury who has led the team in goals most of the year. I hate having to make this choice, so I won't...let the chips fall where they may...

Archived