Zubrus' status for tonights game?

inkman

FYI - Zubrus is a Lithuanian - from the same town as Kasparitis. Anyone know if he plays for Russia in the international games and maybe knows Maxim from there? I think there's some sort of grandfather clause that allows old USSR players to choose which but doubt if Danius is old enough to qualify.

Just bringing this up since it was mentioned under another topic that Max was pumped to have a fellow Russian onboard - Zubrus might get offended at that unless his family are ethnic Russians (very possible). As long as the boy can play hockey, I don't care!

I'm guessing Max is excited about Zubrus, not because they've ever played together (they haven't), but because only being able to speak Russian to Kalinin gets pretty boring.

LMAO!! :lol:

I would have to say that he does not play tonight against the Leafs.

PS - Someone please smack that classless A-hole Sundin around tonight, mmk? Thank you!!

FYI - Zubrus is a Lithuanian - from the same town as Kasparitis. Anyone know if he plays for Russia in the international games and maybe knows Maxim from there? I think there's some sort of grandfather clause that allows old USSR players to choose which but doubt if Danius is old enough to qualify.

Just bringing this up since it was mentioned under another topic that Max was pumped to have a fellow Russian onboard - Zubrus might get offended at that unless his family are ethnic Russians (very possible). As long as the boy can play hockey, I don't care!

Darcy said that they called Max to ask about Zubrus and Max had nothing but great things to say - I guess they do know each other and have played together internationally before.

Zubrus officially playing for his native Lithuanian team in IIHF tournaments,but once he was invited to play for russia in world cup (not IIHF) and he accepted. It is different situation from Kasparaitis,bescause Kaspar played for Russia long time ago,when Lithuanian hockey was very very low level, and now he can't play for any other team,even his native. After breakup of ussr, player had to choose where to play - for russia or their native teams. Because of low level in Lit Kaspar choosed Russia and has many international medals. Zubrus is younger,so situation is different. Lithuania now is a pool B contender. Zubie said: Lithuania needs me more than Russia. We (lithuanians) feel big respect for him for that. Player of his caliber coud easily play for any national team and get some titles,but he choosed to play for his native country,where he never win any big title. He's an example for other players to play for native countries,even if it weak.

Zubrus officially playing for his native Lithuanian team in IIHF tournaments,but once he was invited to play for russia in world cup (not IIHF) and he accepted. It is different situation from Kasparaitis,bescause Kaspar played for Russia long time ago,when Lithuanian hockey was very very low level, and now he can't play for any other team,even his native. After breakup of ussr, player had to choose where to play - for russia or their native teams. Because of low level in Lit Kaspar choosed Russia and has many international medals. Zubrus is younger,so situation is different. Lithuania now is a pool B contender. Zubie said: Lithuania needs me more than Russia. We (lithuanians) feel big respect for him for that. Player of his caliber coud easily play for any national team and get some titles,but he choosed to play for his native country,where he never win any big title. He's an example for other players to play for native countries,even if it weak.

Welcome to our board. Great to have our European brethren.

Awesome. I like him already. (And my grandmother was from Lithuania).

Is he a good skater?

Welcome to the board.

My understanding of international games is you have to play for whatever team you have played for before and have been a citizen of. Like Nedved I belive played international for Canada which barred him for playing for his native country. The only exceptions I have heard of are for players of the former USSR.

Archived