Sabres @ Canadiens (02/07)

LabattBlue

ok, i was confused on that overtime. shouldn't it be 4 on 4 if no team is penalized? the sabres started out 4 on 3 with the sabres having one in the box and the habs having 2 in the box. Then the sabre got out of the box and it was 5 on 3 for the final goal. am i correct or did i miss count the players on the ice?

ok, i was confused on that overtime. shouldn't it be 4 on 4 if no team is penalized? the sabres started out 4 on 3 with the sabres having one in the box and the habs having 2 in the box. Then the sabre got out of the box and it was 5 on 3 for the final goal. am i correct or did i miss count the players on the ice?

I believe that's how it's meant to be in the specific case of one team being penalized two players in OT.

Normally it starts out 4 on 4...If you have one penalty it goes to 4 on 3. Since Montreal had 2 penalties, they had to have 3 on the ice...So Buffalo gets to add 1. 4 on 3 to start. 5 on 3 a few seconds later.

Normally it starts out 4 on 4...If you have one penalty it goes to 4 on 3. Since Montreal had 2 penalties, they had to have 3 on the ice...So Buffalo gets to add 1. 4 on 3 to start. 5 on 3 a few seconds later.

that makes no sense. then it would be 5 on 5 after all the penalties are over, before there's a whistle. then they pull one player/team off the ice? how friggin confusing is that to stat freaks?

Guest rene robert
scoooooooooooooooooores!!! AFINOGENOV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anything sweeter than hearing Rick Jeanneret call a game winning Sabres goal?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

That's exactly how they do it. Confusing, but the only way they can do it without letting a team go below 3 skaters.

good thing i don't crunch stats. Thanks for the explanation.

As for the game, i thought it was awesome that the sabres won while playing their B game. It's games like these that the sabres used to loose. Playing down to the competition has really been a problem for them. I think thursday they wipe their with les habitants, gearing up for a mega weekend doubleheader (i'll be at the canes game... have i mentioned that 5000 times yet?)

For those that were worried about our performance tonight - we played a desperate, desperate team. We didn't even play our A game and still won. We dominated the first period but they pressured us big time the 2nd and 3rd period.

Be happy folks. We did this without Gaustad, Brierre, and Connally. I know we've won without Brierre but still, it's just an example of how much depth this team has. Imagine what we can do when all 3 return. Gaustad was missed tonight. I'm happy we won this game. Beating Montreal in their own building is impressive.

that makes no sense. then it would be 5 on 5 after all the penalties are over, before there's a whistle. then they pull one player/team off the ice? how friggin confusing is that to stat freaks?

They don't let the players out of the penalty box until their is a whistle. So in effect they don't have to "pull" anyone off the ice.