Sabres Fans

\GoBillsInDallas/

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/sports-sto...0204-D3-00.html

Sir: I attended the (Jan. 26) game between the Blue Jackets and Buffalo. I have never seen such rude, out-of-control, classless fans than Sabres fans.

They walked around as if they owned the place. I witnessed Buffalo fans throwing beer, popcorn and other objects at Columbus fans. Some of them were even yelling "Go Sabres" and obscenities during the national anthem, which really riled me. I have seen better behavior from 6-year-olds.

The fact that the Sabres lost the game and that they were in the opponents? home territory seemed to make no difference to these people. I seriously question their sanity. Buffalo fans, you are not welcome here again. Stay home.

? Fritz M. Pickens, Powell

Fritz: Bring on the Eastern Conference! We need more energy in that building, not less.

The vast majority of Sabres fans are great people, but this is the 3rd or 4th arena where we've heard about rude Sabres fans behavior. It's embarrassing, it's NOT cool to be jerks in other teams rinks. I wish the young Sabres fans that are doing this would just grow up because it makes all of Buffalo look like a bunch of jack-.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/sports-sto...0204-D3-00.html

Sir: I attended the (Jan. 26) game between the Blue Jackets and Buffalo. I have never seen such rude, out-of-control, classless fans than Sabres fans.

They walked around as if they owned the place. I witnessed Buffalo fans throwing beer, popcorn and other objects at Columbus fans. Some of them were even yelling "Go Sabres" and obscenities during the national anthem, which really riled me. I have seen better behavior from 6-year-olds.

The fact that the Sabres lost the game and that they were in the opponents? home territory seemed to make no difference to these people. I seriously question their sanity. Buffalo fans, you are not welcome here again. Stay home.

? Fritz M. Pickens, Powell

Fritz: Bring on the Eastern Conference! We need more energy in that building, not less.

I was there too (CBJ season ticket-holder). There were tons of Sabres fans there, and the difference between fans and attendees was evident. I did not see any crass behavior, but I did hear a lot of cheering for Buffalo, a lot of "Let's Go Sabres" in the concourses before the game, and jerseys and signs galore. While there may have been a few jerks there (there are always a few in any big crowd), like most complainers you exaggerate. And I never heard any obsenities during the National Anthem. Columbus can only hope that someday their teams will generate this type of support and you will see a few thourand CBJ fans in Detroit, Pittsburg or Buffalo.

The national anthem thing is the only one that bugs me. Whether or not they're yelling obsenities or not really doesn't matter. They shouldn't be yelling anything at all. It's not just us though, since I've seen it from Bruins fans (the same people who couldn't even make it through a moment of silence for Red Auerbach) and college games.

well on March 13th me and five of my closest friends are going down to Pittsburgh for the sabres game... hopefully it will be a great time. But i must say.. i'm imagining that most of us who are traveling to see a sabres game away from HSBC Arena are not able to get tickets to a home game...and are only able to score tickets to venues reletively close to buffalo... SO when we travel down to opposing teams arenas we want our presence to be known! In some people's view: it is taken negatively. But others it is a welcomed sight to see such passionate fans.

THats what I plan on doin in Pittsburgh... cheering hard for the sabres, and showing my support because it will be the only time all season that I will be able to sit down and enjoy the sabres play, LIVE. So i spend money on the tickets, gas, and YES I will expect to be able to cheer for my team passionatly even if its in an opposing arena... hell the LEafs fans do it here. WHy should we be any different from them?

The vast majority of Sabres fans are great people, but this is the 3rd or 4th arena where we've heard about rude Sabres fans behavior. It's embarrassing, it's NOT cool to be jerks in other teams rinks. I wish the young Sabres fans that are doing this would just grow up because it makes all of Buffalo look like a bunch of jack-.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For every 10 fans that go to a visiting arena and behave themselves, there is one idiot that throws crap at other fans or runs through the lobby shouting obscenities or whatever, and make us all look bad.

Don't let the CBJ fans fool you, though - we had a lot of people yelling at us on the way out, chanting "go home losers" and "enjoy your drive home, :obscenity:" We also had the principal from Billy Madison sitting one row in front of us, and he was yelling incoherent, nonsensical garbage about choking in the playoffs or something - I couldn't quite understand him.

The national anthem thing is the only one that bugs me. Whether or not they're yelling obsenities or not really doesn't matter. They shouldn't be yelling anything at all. It's not just us though, since I've seen it from Bruins fans (the same people who couldn't even make it through a moment of silence for Red Auerbach) and college games.

I know what you mean shrader - I guess we're asking too much for people (Sabres and opponents' fans alike) to shut up for 4 minutes and respect the country, the flag and the anthem...

I wish the young Sabres fans that are doing this would just grow up because it makes all of Buffalo look like a bunch of jack-.

You need to bold, highlight and underline "young". I have no problem with going into a visiting arena and cheering on your team, but getting liquored up before the game and then going in and looking to "stir the pot" is not a good idea for anybody.

I'm not sure how bad it was and I'm sure there were many Sabres fans who cheered without being obnoxious aholes, but the minority will always stand out.

6 hour bus ride + liquor the whole way + drinking in a bar before the game + being young & stupid = TROUBLE :doh:

I know what you mean shrader - I guess we're asking too much for people (Sabres and opponents' fans alike) to shut up for 4 minutes and respect the country, the flag and the anthem...

People are idiots. I don't know how I forgot about this one when I mentioned the Auerbach moment of silence. Two weeks ago at a college game (BU-BC), the idiot BU students couldn't even last 10 seconds in a moment of silence for a student who had died earlier that week. Yes, we know you hate BC, but screaming out "BC sucks" in the middle of a moment of silence? You're an idiot and we don't want you in our building.

I was disappointed by that too the other night. I had really hoped it was a Bruins fan, but I saw the Thursday's game replayed and it was a guy sporting a slug sweater. :ph34r: The camera was on him while he showed just how classy he was.

I was disappointed by that too the other night. I had really hoped it was a Bruins fan, but I saw the Thursday's game replayed and it was a guy sporting a slug sweater. :ph34r: The camera was on him while he showed just how classy he was.

Yeah, one of our idiots started it, but it caused a bunch of back and forth crap for a little bit. If I remember correctly, the girl singing the anthem started singing a lot louder (or they turned up the volume) to drown it out.

SO when we travel down to opposing teams arenas we want our presence to be known!

I don't understand this mentality at all. I thought you wanted to see your precious Sabres play LIVE. Why do you need let everyone know you are there? It sounds like grandstanding and the ultimate in the "look-at-me" culture.

I was taught to be humble, and go about your business in a respectable way. Maybe I'm just turning into an old curmudgeon. Score one for my wife, she's always telling me how old and grumpy I'm getting... :blush:

if anyone was acting like a real jerk, im not trying to defend them.

BUT, after attending games in atlanta and carolina it is OBVIOUS that the fans of these expansion teams are not used to the good natured ribbing that takes place at hockey games.

we had an old-lady and her family try to call security on us because we "kept yelling too loudly for the Sabres". no vulgarities, nothing directed at anyone specific, just the "lets go sa-bres!" chant.

we had a family tell us they were going to write a letter to try to stop the sale of tickets to opposing fans.

most of these fans from the new teams just dont have the thick skin yet. they're still surprised when fans of the HOME team show up, let alone the opposition

BUT, after attending games in atlanta and carolina it is OBVIOUS that the fans of these expansion teams are not used to the good natured ribbing that takes place at hockey games.

we had an old-lady and her family try to call security on us because we "kept yelling too loudly for the Sabres". no vulgarities, nothing directed at anyone specific, just the "lets go sa-bres!" chant.

we had a family tell us they were going to write a letter to try to stop the sale of tickets to opposing fans.

most of these fans from the new teams just dont have the thick skin yet. they're still surprised when fans of the HOME team show up, let alone the opposition

Having been to Carolina during last year's ECF, and Columbus last month, I can assuredly tell you that there are a number of jackasses wearing Sabres colors, all acting like morons. While the Sabres fans were not anywhere near as bad as some Carolina fans made us out to be, there were a number of drunken idiots acting like juveniles on spring break. As I said above, there are probably 10X as many great, respectable fans who go to away venues just to cheer on the Sabres and have a good time, but they are always going to be overshadowed by the idiots who bring the Rich Stadium mentality with them.

It's not limited to Sabres fans, though - every fan base has it's own group of jackasses - but I'd prefer it if our jackasses stayed home and watched the game on TV.

It's more of a regional thing than it is an expansion vs. established team thing. Up until now, all these comments have come from southern fans, so the Columbus thing surprises me a bit. Maybe it's a northeast thing, but the people are very different. Based on that letter writer's name, I think there may be a bit of an age thing here too.

People are idiots. I don't know how I forgot about this one when I mentioned the Auerbach moment of silence. Two weeks ago at a college game (BU-BC), the idiot BU students couldn't even last 10 seconds in a moment of silence for a student who had died earlier that week. Yes, we know you hate BC, but screaming out "BC sucks" in the middle of a moment of silence? You're an idiot and we don't want you in our building.

You're right on about the moment of silence thing, I was going to post something about that until I scrolled down and saw your post. I think it's way worse than the national anthem. It's even worse at football games when there's a moment of silence, probably because there are more people and thus more of a chance of idiocy (although for the one at the Super Bowl last night I didn't hear anything). It's completely shameful for someone to do that...it's not "cool," you're not tough for doing it, you're just ignorant filth.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about our fans this year, and I think that is a direct result from the bandwagoning. And who knows, some of the Buffalo fans acting like morons might--in fact probably aren't--even from Buffalo. It seems like we have more and more fans at away games and in other cities. But regardless of them yelling obscenities and whatnot, no matter what they do, they will never be even HALF as ignorant as Flyers fans. I really do believe the majority of them are rude morons.

Nothing wrong with what you were doing, but I have to believe the majority of the complaints were not aimed at Sabre fans like yourselves.

Nothing wrong with what you were doing, but I have to believe the majority of the complaints were not aimed at Sabre fans like yourselves.

People don't like seeing large numbers of opposing fans in their building. They're going to react far more negatively to their actions than they normally would to 1 or 2 fans. They feel threatened.

I don't understand this mentality at all. I thought you wanted to see your precious Sabres play LIVE. Why do you need let everyone know you are there? It sounds like grandstanding and the ultimate in the "look-at-me" culture.

I was taught to be humble, and go about your business in a respectable way. Maybe I'm just turning into an old curmudgeon. Score one for my wife, she's always telling me how old and grumpy I'm getting... :blush:

Well, maybe i was misunderstood. when I say "presense be known" I don't mean shouting so loud so everyone in the arena thinks me or my friends are a bunch of jerks. But I'm going to the game wearing my (hopefully in by march) Drury jersey and maybe join in if anyone else starts the "Let's go Buffalo" chant. but I definetly don't want to be unrespectful to any Pittsburgh fans because I know first hand how annoying opposing fans can be.

I'm just going to be happy to be able to see them play and am going to do it no differently then if I was sitting in HSBC Arena. OF course that might exclude the ability to frequently chant "Let's Go Buffalo!" but it will definetly be fun to experience a sabres game other than HSBC

Why even question it, Inky? It's going down the toilet. Just look around. Sad.

Just listen to the way many high school and college students talk. There's an f-bomb almost every other word. I'm only 25 and this garbage really gets on my nerves.

I think it's pretty tough to top this all time low moment I sat through at a college game last year. It was BU vs. Merrimack. BU is regularly a top 10 team nationally, while Merrimack is a perennial bottom feeder. At one point, for no reason at all, the BU students started up a "F*** you Merrimack" chant. It wasn't in response to a goal or even a cheap hit (not that this would make it ok). Even if there weren't young children in the arena, this is still way over the line. I hate that I have to be associated with these kids. When did it become acceptable to talk like this in public?

Just listen to the way many high school and college students talk. There's an f-bomb almost every other word. I'm only 25 and this garbage really gets on my nerves.

I think it's pretty tough to top this all time low moment I sat through at a college game last year. It was BU vs. Merrimack. BU is regularly a top 10 team nationally, while Merrimack is a perennial bottom feeder. At one point, for no reason at all, the BU students started up a "F*** you Merrimack" chant. It wasn't in response to a goal or even a cheap hit (not that this would make it ok). Even if there weren't young children in the arena, this is still way over the line. I hate that I have to be associated with these kids. When did it become acceptable to talk like this in public?

I think its about maturing...

When a kid is young(high school and college ages) they are highly amused by their ability to use the f-bomb, why i dunno? I was never one to over use the f-bomb unless i was in a tennis match or other competition, its heat of the moment.

As you were saying for these kids at BU it sounds like they are gettin their tuition paid for by either a) parents or b) scholarship. They dont give a hoot about other people or young childeren around them, all they want is to do is make sure that they are looking and sounding "kool" because they think it will get them some easier... haha funny thing is, that is it doesn't!

Well whatever the reson.. LEt's get it Going Sabres!!!

You need to bold, highlight and underline "young". I have no problem with going into a visiting arena and cheering on your team, but getting liquored up before the game and then going in and looking to "stir the pot" is not a good idea for anybody.

I'm not sure how bad it was and I'm sure there were many Sabres fans who cheered without being obnoxious aholes, but the minority will always stand out.

6 hour bus ride + liquor the whole way + drinking in a bar before the game + being young & stupid = TROUBLE :doh:

I hear ya. I don't live in Buffalo anymore so I'm one of those ex-Buffalonians that has seen the Sabres play all over the East coast in different venues. The troublemakers are always the young 16 to 24 year old guys. The same punks that want to get into fights at Ralph Wilson Stadium when a guy walks by wearing an opponents cap. It just stupid and I'm sick of it and I'm tired of these morons acting like they are entitled to swear and throw crap and act like jerks in front of families or dads with their kids. I know other teams fans have plenty of jerks also but I've seen waaay too many wearing Sabres jersey's for my liking. It can't be defended.

Archived