Physicality of the Sabres

ko12010

I know a lot of people are frustrated with the lack of a physical presence that this team has. I believe that this is not as important as people think and I also do not think that we are doomed to be checked and physically beat right out of the playoffs. This team is not "soft." We just have a different philosophy than other teams and it is how we have drafted, traded, and acquired players through free agency for a while now. We can't just go out and get a physical guy and in the process lose one of our current players and have a positive effect. We have to give this administration and current roster a chance to see if their way of playing hockey can get us a cup. In 98-99 we were the exact opposite. We almost got the cup. Now instead of being the best defensive team we are the best offensive team. We have to give this a chance to work. Chemistry cannot be overlooked at this stage of the game. If Regier makes a major move he is dooming this team to an early exit. Our best chance for a cup is to keep everything intact from now until hopefully June.

The only player that I think can be labeled soft on this team is Al. Part of Kotalik's slight drop in numbers is due to the rise in numbers in most of our guys from last year. For instance, Drury, Briere, Pommer, Vanek, and Max are all well up from this point last year. That's just off the top of my head.

Kotalik is just a frustrating player to watch. His rocket shot is the only thing keeping him on this team. I was actually embarassed last night when Kotalik was dumped like a rag doll trying to get in the zone and was put on his ass. He was literally just pushed off the ice, he wasn't like checked viciously like Alberts on Paestch tuesday. For a guy his size he is such a wuss. If he just had the tenacity and mentality of a Mair he would be a huge asset to this team. We need our big bodies to step it up physically and Kotalik is just not doing it.

I still personally like Kotalik, but he is getting harder and harder to stick up for. Our team got less physical losing Mckee, Grier, and Dumont but this is how I think our team currently breaks down:

Mair-tough

Briere-tough

Gaustad-tough

Peters-tough

Max-tough

Drury-tough

Paille-tough

Roy-tough

Cambell- Close to tough

Paestch- Close to tough

Tallinder- Close to tough

Hecht- Close to tough

*Lydman-Close to tough

Spaceck- average

Numminen-average

Kalinin-average

Novotny average

Kotalik- Soft

I think people underestimate the ability to take a beating while being productive. It's not all about hitting the other guys. Danny, Drury, and Vanek take a beating every game in front of the net and while they don't dish out hits every time they could, they do play physical and are very tough. I think Kotalik is the only true softie on the team.

Another important thing to think about when watching the Sabres is the fact that they have a gameplan and they are out to execute it. A lot of times it is unnecessary to hit someone because you may be breaking assignment and hurting your team. Take Game 1 of the ECF's last year. Rory Fitz leaves his spot on a 3 on 2 to absolutely crush someone but leaves a 2 on 1 which brindamour cashes in on. Our guys are all about taking care of business and most of the time they can avoid finishing their checks to start a break out or get back on D.

Would everyone rather have our announcers be reduced to talking about checks and one fight for an entire game like the Bruins guys last night. They do that cause it's the only positives they can draw from their team. They must have talked about Boyes "beating" up Lydman about 15 different times after it happened. (It was also a closer fight thatn that) The point is being a physical team does not mean you are a good team and being a good team does not mean you are a physical team. Our guys are not overly physical, but are very tough and resilient.

*After last night, Lydman jumped up a notch in toughness.

Would everyone rather have our announcers be reduced to talking about checks and one fight for an entire game like the Bruins guys last night. They do that cause it's the only positives they can draw from their team. They must have talked about Boyes "beating" up Lydman about 15 different times after it happened. (It was also a closer fight thatn that) The point is being a physical team does not mean you are a good team and being a good team does not mean you are a physical team. Our guys are not overly physical, but are very tough and resilient.

Toni got a couple after his sweater was pulled over his head. Kind of like a blind squirrel... :D I was embarrassed for him.

According to Ruff...Lydman was at the end of a long shift and Boyes was fresh and hinted that maybe Tony wouldn't mind another go at him. Peters, Rayzor, and, hell Lindy, can give him some pointers. There's no shame in losing a fight...the shame would be in failing to man up in the first place.

This team plays best with a chip on its shoulder. All this All-Star business, conference favorites, and positive press has them confused. I like all this "They're Soft" talk. It will piss them off.

Last year going into the playoffs the Broadstreet Bullies were going to push the little Sabres around and take the series. That talk stopped when Umberger's KO'ed ass hit the ice.

Drury is a champion at every level he's ever played. He's mentally tough. Mair, Goose, Max, etc. don't back down. Lydman will bleed all over 'em if he has to, Paestch (sp?) takes slapshots to the head, Roy takes on Chara every chance he gets.

Our boys are tough, but let's keep calling them pussies. It'll help them go "Us against the world."

Mair-tough-yes

Briere-tough-like when he hid behind Soupy and blasted AO in the package or when he refused to drop the gloves when challenged by Ovey

Gaustad-tough-super tough

Peters-tough-non-factor

Max-tough-surprisingly fiesty

Drury-tough-didn't drop gloves when challenged by AO, but normally sticks up for mates

Paille-tough-TBD

Roy-tough-cut down on the dives and then we'll talk

Cambell- Close to tough-I'd call him tough

Paestch- Close to tough-right behind Mair and Gaustad in my book

Tallinder- Close to tough-yes but doesn't always assert himself

Hecht- Close to tough-sometimes

*Lydman-Close to tough-showed me something last night

Spaceck- average-only in flashes

Numminen-average-not even close

Kalinin-average-about twice a year

Novotny average-see Kalinen

Kotalik- Soft-yes

The thing that bothers me is I don't think many are consistently tough on this team. For example, Paille had a sweet hit on Chara last night...well why can't he have a decent hit every game? Spacek has shown flashes of hitting ability, but where's he been lately in that department? Kalinin has thrown hits and even fought before, where's he been? I agree that there's something to be said about being able to take hits and keep going, but in terms of dishing them out, who does it CONSISTENTLY? That's the problem with this team, especially the defense. And it seems like when teams beat Buffalo, it's because they finish their checks and get the Sabres looking over their shoulders before they go after puck in the corner; then the defense practically wilts when faced with a physical challenge, unable to move anybody in front of the net...and there's NO EXCUSE for that! Especially not for guys like Kalinin, who is 6'2 216 and Tallinder 6'4 213 (although he tends to play good, positional defense). You don't have to be a tough guy to move opposing forwards, you just have to have the will to do it.

I love how people so quickly forget Kotalik's performance in the playoffs last year. He essentially switched over to the role of power forward and was very effective at it.

Like I said, I like Kotalik, but the image of him getting knocked on his rear by a little shove of the defender last night makes me wonder if his talent will ever override him playing like he's a lot smaller. He's a big guy and he should be playing like it is all most people are saying. But again, I think he can be an asset to this team but he has to start getting mean.

Everyone take a pill.

The Sabres don't have to play tough most nights because it's the regular season.

When the playoffs get nearer I fully expect this team to play tougher. They did it last year and will again.

The thing is this. They learned what it's all about last year. They know what it will take.

Ruff reminded them of it this past week and it showed.

Lydman. Props for going while at the end of a shift. He did just fine for a non fighter. Unfortunate at the end, but the refs should have stopped it when that happened anyway.

We need a bit more grit and the guys will play grittier as they go.

They just don't have to in games 1-55 very often. And besides they'd be burned out if they did. Encouraging games the past few. They'll be fine.

I loved how he played then as well but he has reverted back into Alice. Perhaps when the playoffs start we will see big mean Ales again.

The fact that he showed up and played that way at the most important moment means something to me. He might not ever do it again, but I don't think that, right now, he can be written off as being soft, especially down the stretch.

The fact that he showed up and played that way at the most important moment means something to me. He might not ever do it again, but I don't think that, right now, he can be written off as being soft, especially down the stretch.

Why does your post make me think of Michael Grosek? :D

I don't see Vanek on your list. He seems tough, he takes a beating in front of the net and getting constantly hit to try and knock him off the puck.

Paetsch should be considered tough, when he gets knocked around he will stand up for himself no matter how big the other guy is. Paetsch got drilled against Florida early in the season and Paetsch went at it with the Panther's player who was much bigger than him. Also, blocking that shot against Boston at home to some guts.

The only player that I think can be labeled soft on this team is Al. Part of Kotalik's slight drop in numbers is due to the rise in numbers in most of our guys from last year.

I think Kotalik is the only true softie on the team.

However, remember that Kotalik was a physical presence last year in the playoffs---the man was checking and hitting everything in sight. IMHO, Kotalik gets down on himself too easily and it affects his performance...

In the playoffs, I believe Kotalik will once again pick up his game and will be a big asset....

I know a lot of people are frustrated with the lack of a physical presence that this team has. I believe that this is not as important as people think and I also do not think that we are doomed to be checked and physically beat right out of the playoffs. This team is not "soft." We just have a different philosophy than other teams and it is how we have drafted, traded, and acquired players through free agency for a while now. We can't just go out and get a physical guy and in the process lose one of our current players and have a positive effect. We have to give this administration and current roster a chance to see if their way of playing hockey can get us a cup. In 98-99 we were the exact opposite. We almost got the cup. Now instead of being the best defensive team we are the best offensive team. We have to give this a chance to work. Chemistry cannot be overlooked at this stage of the game. If Regier makes a major move he is dooming this team to an early exit. Our best chance for a cup is to keep everything intact from now until hopefully June.

The only player that I think can be labeled soft on this team is Al. Part of Kotalik's slight drop in numbers is due to the rise in numbers in most of our guys from last year. For instance, Drury, Briere, Pommer, Vanek, and Max are all well up from this point last year. That's just off the top of my head.

Kotalik is just a frustrating player to watch. His rocket shot is the only thing keeping him on this team. I was actually embarassed last night when Kotalik was dumped like a rag doll trying to get in the zone and was put on his ass. He was literally just pushed off the ice, he wasn't like checked viciously like Alberts on Paestch tuesday. For a guy his size he is such a wuss. If he just had the tenacity and mentality of a Mair he would be a huge asset to this team. We need our big bodies to step it up physically and Kotalik is just not doing it.

I still personally like Kotalik, but he is getting harder and harder to stick up for. Our team got less physical losing Mckee, Grier, and Dumont but this is how I think our team currently breaks down:

Mair-tough

Briere-tough

Gaustad-tough

Peters-tough

Max-tough

Drury-tough

Paille-tough

Roy-tough

Cambell- Close to tough

Paestch- Close to tough

Tallinder- Close to tough

Hecht- Close to tough

*Lydman-Close to tough

Spaceck- average

Numminen-average

Kalinin-average

Novotny average

Kotalik- Soft

I think people underestimate the ability to take a beating while being productive. It's not all about hitting the other guys. Danny, Drury, and Vanek take a beating every game in front of the net and while they don't dish out hits every time they could, they do play physical and are very tough. I think Kotalik is the only true softie on the team.

Another important thing to think about when watching the Sabres is the fact that they have a gameplan and they are out to execute it. A lot of times it is unnecessary to hit someone because you may be breaking assignment and hurting your team. Take Game 1 of the ECF's last year. Rory Fitz leaves his spot on a 3 on 2 to absolutely crush someone but leaves a 2 on 1 which brindamour cashes in on. Our guys are all about taking care of business and most of the time they can avoid finishing their checks to start a break out or get back on D.

Ko -- great post. I mostly disagree with the Kotalik criticism, but your points about our philosophy of toughness are original, well stated and I think right on. It's easy to worry too much about our defense not laying out huge hits (although I think we all loved Paille's hit on Chara the other night) and to confuse that with a lack of toughness.

LMAO. :w00t:

He is third on the team with 80 hits? How is that soft?

I suppose it's more of a unfufilled potential deal with Kotalik. He really got everyones hopes up with his first few full seasons, and he's such a big strong guy. I think we expect Tkachuk type bullying in the offensive zone, and instead it's more Jagr like.

I think he is soft because he gets knocked around easily. He may be third with 80 hits, but like I said earlier, with this team I want a toughness, but their main goal is to get the job done. He gets knocked around so easily for a guy, like someone said above, built like Keith Tkachuck. This causes him to be unproductive. I think for Danny and Drury to do what they do in front of the net at their size is amazing. We need a bigger guy to bump in front of the net to complement them and Vanek.

Archived