Interesting Article on Buffalo

SCSabresFan!

Then again, WNY consists of the people who voted Hillary ("100,000 new jobs!") Clinton into office.

Please keep that kind of stuff off this board. You'll likey insight a riot.

You basically just took a swing at millions of people, some of which post on this here board.

Please keep that kind of stuff off this board.

Well, this is a HOCKEY board, and allegedly the threads are supposed to be only about hockey.

However, since this thread has been posted and not deleted, it has now been established that non-hockey posts are allowed, as well as reponses to same (even if you personally don't like the responses).

Well, this is a HOCKEY board, and allegedly the threads are supposed to be only about hockey.

However, since this thread has been posted and not deleted, it has now been established that non-hockey posts are allowed, as well as reponses to same (even if you personally don't like the responses).

Non-hockey threads have always been allowed. It might appear that thay are not, but since "off topic" was merged with the rest of the board it is not as evident.

An Observer analysis of new data from the Internal Revenue Service shows a significant chunk of upstate New York's population has moved to the Charlotte region.

Many from WNY living now in Charlotte region

I recently read one of those "you know you're from Charlotte if...." lists and one of the items was 'you know you're from Charlotte if you can recognize what part of Buffalo your neighbor is from by his accent the first time you meet"

my oversimplified take is this: most people take the path of least resistance (sort of like water)..if you can avoid shoveling snow, high taxes and can get a decent job, you'll do it. It takes a more complex, perhaps masochisitc person to live and thrive in Buffalo. While it sucks that my adopted city has lost thousands of people, I get the feeling we're better off without the majority of them-- those that have stuck it out, returned or recently moved here will be the backbone of the "new buffalo" -- and things really are changing for the better (currently over THREE BILLION DOLLARS in public and private investment in the city alone). Many have left WNY for valid reasons, but good riddance to the others - I won't miss your negativity and unconstructive criticism! Enjoy watching the Predators, Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes.

I get the feeling we're better off without the majority of them-- those that have stuck it out, returned or recently moved here will be the backbone of the "new buffalo" -- and things really are changing for the better (currently over THREE BILLION DOLLARS in public and private investment in the city alone). Many have left WNY for valid reasons, but good riddance to the others - I won't miss your negativity and unconstructive criticism! Enjoy watching the Predators, Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes.

Rayzor - can I ask what you do for a living? Where are you getting the THREE BILLION DOLLAR figure?

Rayzor - can I ask what you do for a living? Where are you getting the THREE BILLION DOLLAR figure?

I'm not in a union and I don't work in manufacturing, so it's a bit easier to enjoy life in Buffalo with a college degree and a decent job -- but I'm certainly not a doctor/lawyer highly paid profesional or one of our thousands of public officials..

As for the $3 billion dollar figure go to page 34 of last month's Buffalo Spree magazine (Develoment: real deals by Barry Muskat). There's so much negativity around here because of past promises and failures that people don't bother to see all the positive change -- Health Now HQ off the 190, New Era HQ on Delaware, new office tower for M&T on Delaware, Ani Difanco's church, new condos/lofts by the hundreds....Look, if I was from here and heard the broken promises for decades, maybe I'd be a bit jaded too, but from an outsider's perspective, this is one hell of a place to live -- better than any other major metro that I've lived in or visited. Buffalo has so much going for it, and since I frequently travel around the US, the more I see of the Charlottes and Dallas' of the country, the more I appreciate where my home base is!

I'm not in a union and I don't work in manufacturing, so it's a bit easier to enjoy life in Buffalo with a college degree and a decent job -- but I'm certainly not a doctor/lawyer highly paid profesional or one of our thousands of public officials..

As for the $3 billion dollar figure go to page 34 of last month's Buffalo Spree magazine (Develoment: real deals by Barry Muskat). There's so much negativity around here because of past promises and failures that people don't bother to see all the positive change -- Health Now HQ off the 190, New Era HQ on Delaware, new office tower for M&T on Delaware, Ani Difanco's church, new condos/lofts by the hundreds....Look, if I was from here and heard the broken promises for decades, maybe I'd be a bit jaded too, but from an outsider's perspective, this is one hell of a place to live -- better than any other major metro that I've lived in or visited. Buffalo has so much going for it, and since I frequently travel around the US, the more I see of the Charlottes and Dallas' of the country, the more I appreciate where my home base is!

Thanks! Nice to hear something positive about the Old City.

I recently read one of those "you know you're from Charlotte if...." lists and one of the items was 'you know you're from Charlotte if you can recognize what part of Buffalo your neighbor is from by his accent the first time you meet"

my oversimplified take is this: most people take the path of least resistance (sort of like water)..if you can avoid shoveling snow, high taxes and can get a decent job, you'll do it. It takes a more complex, perhaps masochisitc person to live and thrive in Buffalo. While it sucks that my adopted city has lost thousands of people, I get the feeling we're better off without the majority of them-- those that have stuck it out, returned or recently moved here will be the backbone of the "new buffalo" -- and things really are changing for the better (currently over THREE BILLION DOLLARS in public and private investment in the city alone). Many have left WNY for valid reasons, but good riddance to the others - I won't miss your negativity and unconstructive criticism! Enjoy watching the Predators, Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes.

One of the *biggest* problems up there is the negativity. Everyone complains about how bad they have it. Everyone congratulates me when they hear I "got out." That pisses me off. I regret leaving. How happy would they be sitting in traffic for three hours a day? I live on a postage-stamp lot in suburban Atlanta and I think I may have talked to my neighbors three times this year. One of which was probably due to a homeowners association violation. The second I find the right opportunity, I have every intention of moving back.

It's not a knock against the South or Atlanta. I simply miss "home." I'm a much more negative person after getting "out" than I was back up where it's miserable, cold, and hopeless.

-Jeff

Do you know what parish everyone is originally from when you go to mass? :)

I'll come back and work for you when you open the Hockey Sherpa parish.

The running joke at my church is everyone is from New York or New Jersey. Our priest, a Mass. native calls it the parish of the rested Yankee.

Look, if I was from here and heard the broken promises for decades, maybe I'd be a bit jaded too, but from an outsider's perspective, this is one hell of a place to live -- better than any other major metro that I've lived in or visited. Buffalo has so much going for it, and since I frequently travel around the US, the more I see of the Charlottes and Dallas' of the country, the more I appreciate where my home base is!

That's the main thing - those of us who grew up there before moving away have heard the same broken promises for decades, and you get more than a bit jaded - you get downright apathetic. You accept the fact that if you stay in WNY, you'll deal with snow, professional sports heartbreak, political corruption, and acting as a political, financial and emotional punching bag for Albany and NYC. And it is really sad, because the region has a ton of great people, things to do, etc., despite being a running national joke.

One of the *biggest* problems up there is the negativity. Everyone complains about how bad they have it. Everyone congratulates me when they hear I "got out." That pisses me off. I regret leaving. How happy would they be sitting in traffic for three hours a day? I live on a postage-stamp lot in suburban Atlanta and I think I may have talked to my neighbors three times this year. One of which was probably due to a homeowners association violation. The second I find the right opportunity, I have every intention of moving back.

It's not a knock against the South or Atlanta. I simply miss "home." I'm a much more negative person after getting "out" than I was back up where it's miserable, cold, and hopeless.

-Jeff

I feel you, Jeff. I lived in Orlando for three years and hated just about every damn minute. I was fortunate - my commute was only about 45 minutes - because I left at 5 a.m. If I didn't get out of work around 230/300, it could take me anywhere from 60-90 minutes to get home - and I lived just 12 miles from work.

And right now, my wife and I are trying to get everything set up - jobs, finances, etc - so we can move back to WNY within the next 5 years.

-Jeff

more and more people ARE moving back -- not nearly enough to make up for those that leave, but at least the people who come back WANT to be here and want to help make Buffalo a better place - not just bitch about it. You should check out Old Home week this July -- last summer several hundred people came back for the events, which included a job fair - I think another job fair is planned for this July:

http://www.buffoldhome.com/index.html

Enjoy your Varisty dogs and Chik-fil-a while you can and get back to BUF!

I have to admit I moved away after high school because I wanted to see and live in different places and see new things. But, the area definately has lots of positive aspects and I always carry "home" with me. Unfortunately, there aren't any opportunities for employment at all in the entire region for my job area. I haven't seen personally how things are going but to me it seems like a lot of younger people who go into different areas of employment don't have any opportunities to move back since there aren't any employment chances in certain areas. Compared to other places around the country the cost of living is definitely attractive as well as housing prices. Around here their selling condo's for 700k which prices alot of us from even the dream of ever owning a home...ever. So, I would move back if there were any chances of finding work. But, I don't see any checking every couple of years for jobs. I hope things are turning around though. I hate to see home "dying."

There's actually a bunch of Chick-Fil-A's here in Ohio and Western PA, but none in NY, according to their website...the closest one to me is in a mall in a suburb of Cleveland, and it's always busy...

Then again, WNY consists of the people who voted Hillary ("100,000 new jobs!") Clinton into office.

Admittedly, I haven't read through all the posts. I'll say this: Sen. Clinton might not be popular with everybody, but the decline of WNY started well before 2000, when she became a Senator from our state. What in God's name are you babbling about?

EDIT: After reading everything, Dallas's comment still seems misguided, but here's my take on everyone's apparent disappointment at the WNY economy.

Three years ago, I sold my DC condo and moved back to B-Lo. Last week, I saw my old condo on nytimes.com as an "example" of falling real estate prices in the mid-Atlantic region. Photo of my old building and everything. Can't say I'm sorry for the guy who overpaid over what I had already overpaid.

CONTRAST TO BUFFALO: I own a great double within walking distance of several kickass restaurants. I make less than I did in DC, of course, but I sold my place there for a hell of a lot more than it really was worth, and came home with a nice down payment. I still make enough to drive a German car, to eat well, to drink more than is good for me. All this on a Buffalo wage--oh, mostly because of a Buffalo mortgage. Did I mention that the house has three bedrroms? And three more upstairs that I rent?

Keep it up, ex-pats. Keep your intelligence (and we know you're smart people with skills we could use here) in Carolina, in Washington, Chicago, and Atlanta. Make that sixty-grand-a-year and enjoy your two-bedroom apartment, seven-dollar beers, and overly-hyphenated-posts-from-Eleven.

But the better life really is in Buffalo, where the Sabres are close, the women are sarcastic, the restaurants are incredible, the land is cheap, and the life is FUN.

Archived