Interesting Article on Buffalo

SCSabresFan!

More proof that we are turning the corner:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070125/1012926.asp

all these bits of good news add up! It's time I switch from Canadian to Blue!

Now maybe I can get some here in Cleveland before it gets skunky... :sick:

I wish all beer makers would add the born-on date to their bottles...

I have a B.S. and M.S. in Optics and develop next generation optical encryptors for the secure communication of financial, medical, and military data. In my previous job, I developed biological triggers for real time detection of anthrax and other bio-aerosols...

of course, your "findings" are about as absurd as they come. College grads are fleeing left and right after graduation. They cite the lack of jobs, but don't let stop you from making crap up. Not that anything really stops you from your daily fact free rant...

But Scott, you are in such an extremely specialized field, I would be surprised to find jobs in your field in more than 10 areas in this country. At least in the form that you want to pursue. U of R has the Laser Lab, but I think their focus isn't a true match for what you do / want to continue doing.

So you may be able to find something in Rochester that is arguably your field of specialization, but it really isn't likely to be what you want to spend the next 10 years of your life on. (Although you would find better beer leagues up here.)

WNY is going to need a bit more than jobs that can be filled by people without college degrees. High tech jobs need to come to keep students and young scientists/engineers that finish school in WNY from leaving.

these are not six figure, graduate level positions, but I think they require degrees (unlike those call center jobs), and more importantly is the spin-off jobs created by these mammoth centers -- dozens of decent paying tech support jobs will be needed to service them...

Do you know what parish everyone is originally from when you go to mass? :)

Sorry, I'm not a papist, and I don't like catching a whiff of Popery (play on words).

I went to a Pentecostal church as a kid, but I'm a Baptist through and through.

That's about the extent of "religion" I'm going to talk about on this thread.

more and more people ARE moving back -- not nearly enough to make up for those that leave, but at least the people who come back WANT to be here and want to help make Buffalo a better place - not just bitch about it. You should check out Old Home week this July -- last summer several hundred people came back for the events, which included a job fair - I think another job fair is planned for this July:

http://www.buffoldhome.com/index.html

Enjoy your Varisty dogs and Chik-fil-a while you can and get back to BUF!

I wouldn't mind seeing Chick-fil-A in western New York. At least they're closed on Sundays (and with good reason).

Ok, I said I wasn't going to talk religion in this thread anymore, but I lied.

Turns out there's a guy named Hank Hanegraaff, the self-proclaimed "Bible Answer Man" who moved the Christian Research Institute ministry from SoCal to the Charlotte area because of the lower cost of doing business. In reality, you just have to go to charitynavigator.org and see how much HH is paying himself and his wife per annum. It's well over 350 G's a year. Not to mention that they bought a house in a gated community with a golf course around Charlotte.

I wonder how much of a house he'd get in Bflo. After all, Teppo and his wife bought theirs for 925 G's.

From the article:

"the upstate"

Heh. "the upstate". I thought it was just Upstate.

Anyway, I moved from Buffalo and don't see a way to move back. I married a girl that (a) isn't from Buffalo and just doesn't get it; and (b) said girl has some heatlh problems and does much better in a warmer climate. We lived in Detroit in the 90s and she frequently used a cane during the winter months (and she was in her 30s at the time). While I still love Buffalo, I just couldn't do that to her.

Sorry, I'm not a papist, and I don't like catching a whiff of Popery (play on words).

I went to a Pentecostal church as a kid, but I'm a Baptist through and through.

That's about the extent of "religion" I'm going to talk about on this thread.

It wasn't a religious question, it was a question for SC about a particular place.

but since you brought it up, "papist" isn't a very nice word. :unsure: :beer:

Turns out there's a guy named Hank Hanegraaff, the self-proclaimed "Bible Answer Man" who moved the Christian Research Institute ministry from SoCal to the Charlotte area because of the lower cost of doing business. In reality, you just have to go to charitynavigator.org and see how much HH is paying himself and his wife per annum. It's well over 350 G's a year. Not to mention that they bought a house in a gated community with a golf course around Charlotte.

I wonder how much of a house he'd get in Bflo. After all, Teppo and his wife bought theirs for 925 G's.

I will pass that info along to the Passing Pastor - Mr. Frank Reich. His Charlotte church is very modest. :lol:

WNY is going to need a bit more than jobs that can be filled by people without college degrees. High tech jobs need to come to keep students and young scientists/engineers that finish school in WNY from leaving.

You need to look no further than all the reseasch and medical jobs flowing into downtown. They may not be the high profile jobs like NASCAR or BassPro but they are a nice building block for the future.

Then don't.

Unless you are going to talk about snake handling. That's OK because it's so F***ing funny.

You need to look no further than all the reseasch and medical jobs flowing into downtown. They may not be the high profile jobs like NASCAR or BassPro but they are a nice building block for the future.

Then don't.

The Center for Excellence downtown is a good start. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves by describing it as "flowing" though as it's still rather early in its development and funding is tight due to the war in Iraq (or so many of the people involved tell me). Dying cities are starting to turn to biomedical research centers to turn things around. Grand Rapids, MI is one example of an area doing the same thing. Most investigator positions however, are joint appointments with local universities and hospitals and are therefore already filled (filled by some pretty high profile names though). The positions that were open at the time that I looked were all post-doctoral fellowships and tech positions. All paid horribly. Being a government funded institution doesn't help either. I could easily make 2-3x as much working in industry.

Hopefully the Center for Excellence spawns a bunch of small biotech companies similar to all the biotech industry that sprung up around Cambridge, MA or SoCal. NYS can help out by giving young post-docs or even faculty tax-incentives to stick around and start businesses. UB/UB's Center for Excellence/Roswell is a great resource the state had better realize and not squander.

The Center for Excellence downtown is a good start. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves by describing it as "flowing" though as it's still rather early in its development and funding is tight due to the war in Iraq (or so many of the people involved tell me). Dying cities are starting to turn to biomedical research centers to turn things around. Grand Rapids, MI is one example of an area doing the same thing. Most investigator positions however, are joint appointments with local universities and hospitals and are therefore already filled (filled by some pretty high profile names though). The positions that were open at the time that I looked were all post-doctoral fellowships and tech positions. All paid horribly. Being a government funded institution doesn't help either. I could easily make 2-3x as much working in industry.

Hopefully the Center for Excellence spawns a bunch of small biotech companies similar to all the biotech industry that sprung up around Cambridge, MA or SoCal. NYS can help out by giving young post-docs or even faculty tax-incentives to stick around and start businesses. UB/UB's Center for Excellence/Roswell is a great resource the state had better realize and not squander.

It's not a magic bullet. But yet another stone in building the future.

I would think a couple of positives in Buffalo's favor is in be on a international boarder and being close to one of the worlds largest natural power sources. One thing that researchers need is safe affordable power. I would hope WNY could provide that from the Falls.

not only have a few (3?) bio-tech spin-off companies moved in over the past couple of months, but it looks like UB is planning a significant presence there:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...ml?surround=lfn

Then don't.

Unless you are going to talk about snake handling. That's OK because it's so F***ing funny.

Those snake handlers refer more on the Book of Acts for their "theology". Needless to say, some of them die in the middle of church services from doing things like that.

I don't see a reason for doing that. The canon of Scripture is closed -- meaning that there is no need to attempt to replicate what the apostles did for signs, wonders, and miracles (and I'm going to stop on that tangent for now before I get ahead of everyone).

It wasn't a religious question, it was a question for SC about a particular place.

but since you brought it up, "papist" isn't a very nice word. :unsure: :beer:

Oh, well. Here's my replacement for a mitre: :bag:

The Center for Excellence downtown is a good start. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves by describing it as "flowing" though as it's still rather early in its development and funding is tight due to the war in Iraq (or so many of the people involved tell me). Dying cities are starting to turn to biomedical research centers to turn things around.

Have we forgotten about Roswell Park? It's pretty well known, and it has received good national press coverage (regardless of what your view is of the MSM).

As a kid, I remember a surgeon at Children's Hospital whose name was in the news constantly for the wonderful care he gave to children. Remember Dr. S. Subramanian?

Archived