Interesting Article on Buffalo

SCSabresFan!

I was born and raised ion WNY.

Buffalo will ALWAYS be home to me.

If i could take going away to college I would....

But, after college my wife and I moved to Charlotte NC.

We both like it a lot, and its a great place to raise kids...there is a lot to do here also.

I miss the die hard, sports savvy fans, the food, the friendliness, going to Bills/Sabres games, etc....

down here people are so naive to life up north it makes me mad. They think the south is so much better and from the way they talk its like the civil war is still ongoing, calling northerners "yankees".

Buffalo is a great place, I think the whole are is a great are to live and plenty to do. The waether isnt THAT bad...I mean come on. Why is it when other places like Denver or whatever get hit with real bad snow its not that big a deal, but whenever people mention Buffalo, the national p[erception is how bad the weather and snow is. Give me a MF break.

Ive been down here 11 yrs now and lately I have been thinking of what it would be like to move back to WNY.... I work from home so thats not a problem..... its just finding affordable housing thats comprable to what we have here.... also nervous about the high taxes, and the possibility of the Bills ever leaving, bc if they did, so would I, in a MF heartbeat.

I was born and raised ion WNY.

Buffalo will ALWAYS be home to me.

If i could take going away to college I would....

But, after college my wife and I moved to Charlotte NC.

We both like it a lot, and its a great place to raise kids...there is a lot to do here also.

I miss the die hard, sports savvy fans, the food, the friendliness, going to Bills/Sabres games, etc....

down here people are so naive to life up north it makes me mad. They think the south is so much better and from the way they talk its like the civil war is still ongoing, calling northerners "yankees".

Buffalo is a great place, I think the whole are is a great are to live and plenty to do. The waether isnt THAT bad...I mean come on. Why is it when other places like Denver or whatever get hit with real bad snow its not that big a deal, but whenever people mention Buffalo, the national p[erception is how bad the weather and snow is. Give me a MF break.

Ive been down here 11 yrs now and lately I have been thinking of what it would be like to move back to WNY.... I work from home so thats not a problem..... its just finding affordable housing thats comprable to what we have here.... also nervous about the high taxes, and the possibility of the Bills ever leaving, bc if they did, so would I, in a MF heartbeat.

Ditto.

The weather isn't bad. Personally, I can't live somewhere that doesn't have four seasons and a ski resort within an hour's driving.

That's pretty smart...

He's no dummy either...

It's like listening to WGR where every caller is a Sabres and Bills season ticket holder for the past 30 years. :w00t:

I have a B.S. and M.S. in Optics and develop next generation optical encryptors for the secure communication of financial, medical, and military data. In my previous job, I developed biological triggers for real time detection of anthrax and other bio-aerosols...

of course, your "findings" are about as absurd as they come. College grads are fleeing left and right after graduation. They cite the lack of jobs, but don't let stop you from making crap up. Not that anything really stops you from your daily fact free rant...

This from a JP Loseman fan :doh: :lol: :w00t:

its just finding affordable housing thats comprable to what we have here.... also nervous about the high taxes, and the possibility of the Bills ever leaving, bc if they did, so would I, in a MF heartbeat.

Whoa...if there's one thing everyone agrees about regarding Buffalo it's the reasonably priced (aka CHEAP) housing -- recently ranked #4 market in the US for affordable housing. You can get more for your money here than anywhere I know of (or anywhere you'd actually want to live, anyway)...for the cost of the 100 year old, 2,000+ square foot home my wife and I bought here in the heart of the city, we'd be LUCKY to be able to buy a 1 bedroom condo in NYC, Chicago, Boston or DC...

As far as the other concerns, one way to help ensure the Bills staying put is by having enough people in the market to support an NFL team -- if everyone that thinks of moving back actually does, we'd be a lock to keep the franchise viable here after old Ralph passes...Taxes here are brutal, nothing to sugarcoat there -- but if you look at the overall cost of living in Buffalo vs. other metros, the taxes seem less painful

Well, rather than rejoin the debate, I'll put this out there: Buffalo really is a better city than most might think. It's incredibly liveable. If you're thinking about moving back, drop me a PM. Whatever I can do, I'll do.

Pretend Jesus, why when I click on the DC link do I get Charlotte stats? Never mind; I've already lived in DC anyway. (Oh, Sh*t, didn't mean to rejoin the debate....)

Pretend Jesus, why when I click on the DC link do I get Charlotte stats? Never mind; I've already lived in DC anyway. (Oh, Sh*t, didn't mean to rejoin the debate....)

Two dice - looks like a flaw on the website. Just use the pull down menus on the top of the page.

Two dice - looks like a flaw on the website. Just use the pull down menus on the top of the page.

Ok, but like I said, I already know the difference between DC and here. I'll make less here and my mortgage will cost less here. My student loan payment and car payment will be the same no matter in which city I live, and hard goods (e.g., a computer) will cost the same (which factors militate against B-Lo). Flights out of Buffalo will be more expensive than flights out of DC, but dinners out will be less expensive in Buffalo.

But vacation homes here (lower Ont.) will be incredibly cheaper than vacation homes there (Del. beaches or W.Va. mountains). Dry cleaning is still buck-a-shirt here, groceries are cheaper, and I don't waste gas in traffic.

Seriously, economically, it's more of a break-even than you'd think. You can take your stats (which usually only compare housing costs against salaries), but I'll take experience. It's better to live in Buffalo than in DC, and the costs are the same. (Except my home is three times larger here, but well, let's let that go.)

Ok, but like I said, I already know the difference between DC and here. I'll make less here and my mortgage will cost less here. My student loan payment and car payment will be the same no matter in which city I live, and hard goods (e.g., a computer) will cost the same (which factors militate against B-Lo). Flights out of Buffalo will be more expensive than flights out of DC, but dinners out will be less expensive in Buffalo.

But vacation homes here (lower Ont.) will be incredibly cheaper than vacation homes there (Del. beaches or W.Va. mountains). Dry cleaning is still buck-a-shirt here, groceries are cheaper, and I don't waste gas in traffic.

Seriously, economically, it's more of a break-even than you'd think. You can take your stats (which usually only compare housing costs against salaries), but I'll take experience. It's better to live in Buffalo than in DC, and the costs are the same. (Except my home is three times larger here, but well, let's let that go.)

I doubt that Carolina or DC has anything that compares to the Canadian Ballet. Just another reason why Buffalo is a much better place to live than Deliverance country. :thumbsup:

I doubt that Carolina or DC has anything that compares to the Canadian Ballet. Just another reason why Buffalo is a much better place to live than Deliverance country. :thumbsup:

Culture, and the money saved on drinks and pizza has to be factored in.

Oh, and a shot of Crown Royal is considered a legitimate dessert.

I Am moving back to WNY, I left years ago (FL) because I could and should have (personal) anyway I hate the South they can have thier weather and terrible education and crime, and traffic and rude ignorant racist attitudes....I miss home, Good People Good Food and I'll find a job and a home because if you really want it it's there......can't wait..

And Kelly Holcomb will lead the Bills to the promised land. Take it from the man who knows...

Great points two dice, but you forgot to factor in the most important point, the reason for this thread. One needs a decent job to afford the large house and cabin in Ontario (lets not mention the taxes). They are in short supply around Western New York. ;)

I don't know...there was this place by Pinehurst :D I'd agree overall, nothing beats the Candian Ballet in its category (except maybe the French-Canadian Ballet), but that night in NC was special....although it might have been the pain killers :blink:

And Kelly Holcomb will lead the Bills to the promised land. Take it from the man who knows...

Great points two dice, but you forgot to factor in the most important point, the reason for this thread. One needs a decent job to afford the large house and cabin in Ontario (lets not mention the taxes). They are in short supply around Western New York. ;)

Because a young worthless QB is that much better than a old worthless QB? :lol:

Can you tell us again how bad the Jets will be with Chad Pennington old sage of the NFL :nana:

I Am moving back to WNY, I left years ago (FL) because I could and should have (personal) anyway I hate the South they can have thier weather and terrible education and crime, and traffic and rude ignorant racist attitudes....I miss home, Good People Good Food and I'll find a job and a home because if you really want it it's there......can't wait..

Welcome home :thumbsup:

Archived