No All Star Game in Buffalo?

Tarrytown

I just read this on the artvoice site...

A future All Star Game in Buffalo? No. Um, maybe.

Buffalo hosted this event once?in 1978 at the Aud. Back then Sabres fans delighted in watching the one-two punch of Gilbert Perreault and Rick Martin score the tying and overtime winning goals for the Wales Conference.

So how about another NHL All Star Game in Buffalo? ?No, we don?t have the convention and hospitality facilities that the league and an event of this magnitude requires,? replies Sabres Managing Partner Larry Quinn. ?But I?ve approached [NHL Commissioner] Gary Bettman about the possibility of headquartering the event in Niagara Falls, Ontario and having the game here, thus making it a true regional event. He didn?t say no.?

The 2008 All Star Game is set for Atlanta and 2009 is all but promised to Phoenix. The 2010 Winter Olympic Games will preempt the game that year. So 2011 would be the first year available for Buffalo. Oh?and our fabulous Canal Side and Cobblestone District should be done by then. Let?s hope!

Are they serious? Are there that many attendees that Buffalo hotels can't fill the bill? That doesn't make sense to me...really. Sounds bogus to me...throw a dog a bone here...good lord.

I just read this on the artvoice site...

So 2011 would be the first year available for Buffalo. Oh?and our fabulous Canal Side and Cobblestone District should be done by then. Let?s hope!

Yea and the new Peace Bridge too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting this Tarrytown. I've always sort of wondered why the HSBC Arena never attracted an All-Star game. You look at Baseball, which has a very similar set up (in that the game is played mid-season) and it seems that every city with a new ballpark, regardless of market size has had an All-Star game in the last 10 years. Cleveland, Milwaulkee, Pittsburgh...I can't imagine there are THAT many more hotels in a 45mi radius in those cities than in Buffalo. Look at the requirements for the Super Bowl...hotels have to be located within something like a 60mi radius of the stadium. Everyone knows how Jacksonville got creative and shipped in cruise boats to serve as floating hotels. Why not do the same with Buffalo for an All-Star weekend?

Not only has the area shown that it thoroughly supports hockey, it certainly wouldn't be out of the question for lots of Canadian fans, as well as hockey fans from Rochester and elsewhere in NY/PA to make the trip and stay for the weekend.

Hasn't Buffalo hosted a Frozen Four and aren't we about to host the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament for the 3rd time? What, all those people who go to those events live in Amherst and Hamburg? The Sabres and Quinn aren't thinking big enough here. Maybe they've seen what other cities have done with the All Star Game and don't think we'll measure up. With 4 years to plan I'm sure we can make it a great event.

For many years the case has been a lack of capable convention center to host the Allstar Extravaganza that comes along with. The Buffalo Convention Center is a joke.

This has nothing to do with Buffalo not being a quality host. It's a lack of venue. If the city would get it's act together and build a decent convention center, then you can get back to the realization of an Allstar game.

Quinn is proposing the regionalization of it with Niagara Falls Ont. because they would be able to host the extracurricular events.

Am I the only one that doesn't give a fug about the all-star game?

nope, it wouldn't be possible for me to care any less for the all star game. All it means to me is a week of no hockey to watch, and for that I hate it. The only good thing about it is it gives the players some much needed rest.

nope, it wouldn't be possible for me to care any less for the all star game. All it means to me is a week of no hockey to watch, and for that I hate it. The only good thing about it is it gives the players some much needed rest.

Especially if you team is ultra soft and lacking the grit to get through normal injuries... :ph34r:

Hasn't Buffalo hosted a Frozen Four and aren't we about to host the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament for the 3rd time? What, all those people who go to those events live in Amherst and Hamburg? The Sabres and Quinn aren't thinking big enough here. Maybe they've seen what other cities have done with the All Star Game and don't think we'll measure up. With 4 years to plan I'm sure we can make it a great event.

I'm glad you brought up the Frozen Four, because I attended that event. My biggest memory is out-of-towners walking out of HSBC, looking for a restaurant, a bar, anyplace to go, and being stunned at how dead it was!

As usual, Buffalo f**ked up it's own wet dream when they built the arena in no man's land, instead of in the theatre district, as originally proposed. Imagine HSBC at the top of Chippawa Street, with all those nightclubs and eateries within blocks! No...the braniacs in government decided to put it in a part of town where there is nothing...N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!!

I wouldn't want an All-Star game in Buffalo because I don't want the city to be embarressed on a national stage. NF,ON is a fine place to stage the event, but folks stil have to get to the arena which is 20 miles away.

PTR

Archived