LA needs goaltending help

rickshaw

I'm not that familiar with the Kings roster, but the Sabres definitely need another Gaustad-like forward. I could be wrong but I don't think Darcy would trade Biron for draft picks at this point. Remember that Biron is worth over $2 million against the cap, too -- Buffalo doesn't need the whole $2 million.

I would expect to receive less compensation than we got for Pyatt, which IIRC, was a 4th or maybe a 5th. Marty is more valuable to us this year as insurance in case Ryan gets hurt. I'm not saying he's as good as Miller or even that Marty is top tier goal keeper. He is one of the best backups in the league, though. Why weaken the team when we are obviously making a run at the Cup this year?

Yes, he lets in soft goals. Goalies not named Hasek and Miller do that.

If the Kings were wiling to give up Sean Avery in a trade I would make the deal. At $1.1 million he would save you money. You would save on Biron's contract and you would then waive Peters. Avery is a tough guy who can actually play hockey.

Avery - Gaustad - Mair would be one hell of a fourth line. It would be the toughest line in hockey.

If the Kings were wiling to give up Sean Avery in a trade I would make the deal. At $1.1 million he would save you money. You would save on Biron's contract and you would then waive Peters. Avery is a tough guy who can actually play hockey.

Avery - Gaustad - Mair would be one hell of a fourth line. It would be the toughest line in hockey.

Assuming you have the ability to make this trade - who do you dress as the backup goalie?

The kings are not going to give us Avery for Marty. No one is going to give us anything good for him. Those GMs watch the same film we do.

I didn't say it would be a straight up trade. If a deal could be made for Avery I would be willing to look into adding other aspects to the mix. The Sabres have a ton of NHL ready forwards. They don't have room for them all. Maybe Avery and a conditional for Biron and a forward might get it done. It would depend on the value the Kings placed on Biron and if any other teams needed to upgrade their goaltending and wanted to be involved.

Assuming you have the ability to make this trade - who do you dress as the backup goalie?

I like having Marty as the back up. But there are many things to consider.

1) his price tag

2) he is unrestricted

3) the market for goaltending

4) the Sabres needs

5) are you ready to ride Ryan Miller to the end.

Picking up a Sean Avery brings the level of toughness way up for the Sabres. Does that balance out what you may lose at the back up goalie decision. I think it would.

I also think you can pick up an older back up to take you to the end of the season. The cost being a mid round draft pick. A player like Jussi Markkanen has a small price tag. Depending on the where the Oilers are during the second half of the season it might be possible. Or even a Brian Boucher from the Black Hawks at $400,000 would be available for a 5th or 6th round pick. Are either of those goalies better then Marty? No. Are the Sabres better with Avery and one those goalies over having Marty? I say yes.

He made some stupid decisions last year, but I've heard he's cleaned up his act and is actually getting some points this year.

He has 25 goals, 65 points and 352 pims over the last 120 games. Including 4 short hand goals. The guy brings a lot to the ice.

The guy is what Andrew Peters wishes he could be. I would love to see Avery, Gaustad and Mair hit the ice. Name a tougher line.

Darcy isn't dealing Marty. Esspicially with Miller as shaky as he's been. Please guys, give it a rest.

Miller as shaky as he's been? He's putting up very similar numbers to last year. Slightly better SV% slightly worse GAA. He's top 8 in the league in SV%.

Since Christmas, he has put up a 2.28 GAA, and a .924 SV%. Fill me in on how that's "shaky."

I would expect to receive less compensation than we got for Pyatt, which IIRC, was a 4th or maybe a 5th. Marty is more valuable to us this year as insurance in case Ryan gets hurt. I'm not saying he's as good as Miller or even that Marty is top tier goal keeper. He is one of the best backups in the league, though. Why weaken the team when we are obviously making a run at the Cup this year?

Yes, he lets in soft goals. Goalies not named Hasek and Miller do that.

Miller has let in quite a few softies himself.

Avery = Cancer.

Not a big fan of cancer.

I doubt Marty goes anywhere either, just pointing out a team that might be looking at acquiring him.

Based on what?

Avery had a bunch of confrontations last year - one with an assistant coach, one with a broadcaster and one with George Laraque - that led him being asked to leave the Kings at the end of the year and contributed to him getting labeled as a problem child and locker room cancer. Given that, I was shocked that the Kings brought him back this year, and that Avery wanted to come back (IIRC, he was a UFA last year.)

And so has every other goalie in the history of hockey.

EDIT: Every goalie will let in softies, Marty just seems to have a knack for doing it at the absolute worst time.

Realistically, I think that we have all been spoiled by Hasek (all of us have, if even just a little bit) so we look at every shot as one that should have been stopped. We know what the difference is - we get pissed when it happens, then we look at he replay and say "yeah, he didn't have a chance on that one" or "WTF? How do you let him score on that?" While I don't dispute that Ryan has let in some soft goals - every goalie has - I absolutely cannot agree that he has let in "quite a few" soft goals, nor do I see his play as anywhere near "shaky." Likewise, after watching Marty for 9 seasons with the Sabres, I have seen him give up a heck of a lot more legitimate bad goals (as hopelesly pointed, at absolutely HORRIBLE times) than Ryan has, in his admittedly brief Sabres tenure.

On a side note, I don't know why so many Marty apologists try to drag down our All-Star goalie to justify Biron's sub-par games and numbers - i.e., Ryan let in a bad goal against so-and-so, or Ryan let this team sore five against him. Even if that is the case, does it make it OK for Marty to misplay a couple clearing attempts into scoring ops for the opposition? Does it make it OK for Marty to whiff on a backhander from 20 feet out? Short answer: no, it doesn't.

While we're at it, I don't really care if any goalie stands on his head for two periods before letting in soft ones in the third - that's a bad game. Period. If you can't make the big saves when the game is on the line, then it doesn't matter how much you stood on your head early on.

I am not trying to come across as anti-Marty, but I think at this point he has established himself an an overpaid NHL backup, and not much more. I definitely do not see him as someone who can backstop his team through 65+ regular season and then another 15-20 postseason games.

But that's just me, I could be wrong...

Avery had a bunch of confrontations last year - one with an assistant coach, one with a broadcaster and one with George Laraque - that led him being asked to leave the Kings at the end of the year and contributed to him getting labeled as a problem child and locker room cancer. Given that, I was shocked that the Kings brought him back this year, and that Avery wanted to come back (IIRC, he was a UFA last year.)

Realistically, I think that we have all been spoiled by Hasek (all of us have, if even just a little bit) so we look at every shot as one that should have been stopped. We know what the difference is - we get pissed when it happens, then we look at he replay and say "yeah, he didn't have a chance on that one" or "WTF? How do you let him score on that?" While I don't dispute that Ryan has let in some soft goals - every goalie has - I absolutely cannot agree that he has let in "quite a few" soft goals, nor do I see his play as anywhere near "shaky." Likewise, after watching Marty for 9 seasons with the Sabres, I have seen him give up a heck of a lot more legitimate bad goals (as hopelesly pointed, at absolutely HORRIBLE times) than Ryan has, in his admittedly brief Sabres tenure.

On a side note, I don't know why so many Marty apologists try to drag down our All-Star goalie to justify Biron's sub-par games and numbers - i.e., Ryan let in a bad goal against so-and-so, or Ryan let this team sore five against him. Even if that is the case, does it make it OK for Marty to misplay a couple clearing attempts into scoring ops for the opposition? Does it make it OK for Marty to whiff on a backhander from 20 feet out? Short answer: no, it doesn't.

While we're at it, I don't really care if any goalie stands on his head for two periods before letting in soft ones in the third - that's a bad game. Period. If you can't make the big saves when the game is on the line, then it doesn't matter how much you stood on your head early on.

I am not trying to come across as anti-Marty, but I think at this point he has established himself an an overpaid NHL backup, and not much more. I definitely do not see him as someone who can backstop his team through 65+ regular season and then another 15-20 postseason games.

But that's just me, I could be wrong...

I have a specific problem saying Ryan has been shaky lately. I think he has been very solid since Christmas, and his numbers reflect that.

While I agree in the offseason Darcy would do well to get a draft pick for Marty, I think he could get a legit player for him from a team like LA if they are desperate during the season. While I also agree that ...

I definitely do not see him as someone who can backstop his team through 65+ regular season and then another 15-20 postseason games.

... how many of those guys are there? I don't think that's what LA would be looking for. They are not like Edmonton last year, thinking they are a playoff goalie away from a Cup run. They just need to stabilize the position, and sending Marty out there 35 times over the last 37 games or whatever would give them a chance to win every night and get back in the playoff race. They have not had that, even when their goalies were healthy. We're looking at this thing through contender-colored glasses ... every time he lets in a questionable one we think "THAT'S the kind that would cost us the Cup!" LA looks at the 10 point-blank saves he made in the first 2 periods and thinks "If he keeps us in games like that, we have a fighting chance!" I'm not saying they could get a top 6 forward, but a guy like Avery is not an unreasonable request. What did the Canes give up last year to get Weight? Jesse Boulerice, Zigomanis, a first round pick and 2 fourth round picks or something ... I think one player out of their lineup and none of thier future assets is pretty reasonable, even if Marty is not there beyond this season. Compared to Miller, he looks like a liability. Compared to Barry Brust and Yutaka Fukufuji, he is a stabilizing force.

I am with you, BTP...if they offered Avery for Marty, I would take that deal in a minute, then turn around and grab a backup from someone like Chicago. Hell, with Avery in the fold, we could try to trade Peters for a backup goalie (although I think we'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks for Peters.) :nana:

As for Marty, I am not saying he couldn't be successful as a starter in the NHL, it just has to be in the right situation. Before the season, I posted that I thought Marty, at best, is a 1B goalie - I think he could be very effective as part of a two-headed tandem where he plays 40-45 regular season games and then the better of the two gets first shot at the playoffs.

Miller as shaky as he's been? He's putting up very similar numbers to last year. Slightly better SV% slightly worse GAA. He's top 8 in the league in SV%.

Since Christmas, he has put up a 2.28 GAA, and a .924 SV%. Fill me in on how that's "shaky."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was befuddled by that remark.

Archived