Power play stats with and without Connolly

PASabreFan

The Sabres were about a 20% PP team last year, including the playoffs. It broke down to 22% with Connolly vs. 16% without. And we're just under 17% this year without him. Connolly is to the PP as Tallinder is to the PK, apparently.

Nutting this out, as we approach midseason. If Connolly returns and becomes the same player he was a year ago, and if Tallinder can stay healthy, this team has a great chance to win the Cup. But those are big ifs, and if one or both scenarios don't play out, this is suddenly a very vulnerable team in the playoffs. Special teams are huge, and sitting in the middle of the pack in both PP and PK should be an equally huge concern.

Sorry, Fushetti. Kind of a downer, huh?

The Sabres were about a 20% PP team last year, including the playoffs. It broke down to 22% with Connolly vs. 16% without. And we're just under 17% this year without him. Connolly is to the PP as Tallinder is to the PK, apparently.

Nutting this out, as we approach midseason. If Connolly returns and becomes the same player he was a year ago, and if Tallinder can stay healthy, this team has a great chance to win the Cup. But those are big ifs, and if one or both scenarios don't play out, this is suddenly a very vulnerable team in the playoffs. Special teams are huge, and sitting in the middle of the pack in both PP and PK should be an equally huge concern.

Sorry, Fushetti. Kind of a downer, huh?

Yeah, but scoring 5 on 5 is a bigger asset in the playoffs, and the Sabres are kicking the league's ass when it comes to that.

Very vulnerable? Take away Ottawa, and they have 4 regulation losses on January 4th. I'll bet the rest of the league is chomping at the bit todraw them in the playoffs. :doh:

Sorry if I don't duck-and-cover while you claim the sky is falling.

When Tim went down in the playoffs, that is when the pp started it's steady downward spiral.

It is evident that he is a huge part of the pp. His ability to gain the blueline and his superior stickhandling was the added dimension that they so desparately need now.

What is so frustrating about the PP is what it is doing to the offense. The team plays so much better 5-on-5. As soon as they start the PP, it takes them out of their natural offensive flow into offensive stagnation. And then when they get back into the 5-on-5 game, it looks like they have a hang over from the PP. With each failure, the pressure increases, grips tighten, fans complain, and the league takes notes...

Last night the two 4-3's the Sabres had were by far the worse displays of offense all year. They didn't come close to a shot on goal and they allowed three guys to play keep away and out check them.

You keep waiting for this to turn around, but with each passing game, it becomes clearer and clearer that it won't. And when one does go in, you are left with the notion that even a blind mouse eventually stumbles upon some cheese.

Yeah, but scoring 5 on 5 is a bigger asset in the playoffs, and the Sabres are kicking the league's ass when it comes to that.

Very vulnerable? Take away Ottawa, and they have 4 regulation losses on January 4th. I'll bet the rest of the league is chomping at the bit todraw them in the playoffs. :doh:

Not saying the sky is falling. I'm just not as enamored with their record as you are. It won't mean much when it's 0-0 before Game 1 of the first round. Listen... I want to see this team get its game in shape. Middle of the pack in defense, power play and penalty killing does not make me all warm and fuzzy inside. Sorry. And playing a period here and a period there is driving me crazy. We all see different things I guess.

I'm not sure that I can agree with this statement. I think special teams in the playoffs is almost always MORE important than how well a team plays 5 on 5. Ottawa outplayed us last year in even strength situations, but it was our special teams taht ultimately did them in. It's important to be able to be able to draw penalties and play solid hockey at both ends of the rink, but it seems that come April, May and June, it's the teams with PP conversion rates in the 20% range and PK rates in the high 80's and low 90's that are actually playing for the Cup.

Ask yourself this... in the 3rd period of a playoff game, what is a bigger momentum change? A solid shift where you control play, or Penalty Kill?

PP goals, PK and short-handed goals can often be the only difference that seperates teams come the spring. 5 on 5 play might get you into the "second season", but special teams is what wins once you're there.

Why should we take away Ottawa? Don't they play in the NHL, not to mention the same conference?

So if the rest of the league are worried about meeting The Sabres in the playoffs, what happens if we meet Ottawa? I know they usually choke like there's no tomorrow, but to automatically assume they will again this year is asking for trouble.

Yes, this a good team 5 on 5, but teams that win cups usually have these things going for them :

1. Goaltending

2. Defense

3. Power Play

4. Penalty Kill

5. Offense

That, IMHO, makes The Sabres 3 ouf of 5, some would even say 2 ouf of 5, but that's just my 2 cents.

Not saying the sky is falling.

I read what you wrote as pretty optimistic... :)

The outlook on Connolly is looking better than it did at the beginning of the season. Tallinder has had some bad luck lately, but, he did play in every regular season game last season...

I'm not sure that I can agree with this statement. I think special teams in the playoffs is almost always MORE important than how well a team plays 5 on 5. Ottawa outplayed us last year in even strength situations, but it was our special teams taht ultimately did them in. It's important to be able to be able to draw penalties and play solid hockey at both ends of the rink, but it seems that come April, May and June, it's the teams with PP conversion rates in the 20% range and PK rates in the high 80's and low 90's that are actually playing for the Cup.

Ask yourself this... in the 3rd period of a playoff game, what is a bigger momentum change? A solid shift where you control play, or Penalty Kill?

PP goals, PK and short-handed goals can often be the only difference that seperates teams come the spring. 5 on 5 play might get you into the "second season", but special teams is what wins once you're there.

I'd rather have a team that can score 5 on 5 than a team that has to rely on Frasier, McGeough, or Massenhoven to decide to pull out his whistle to make his obligatory penalty call for the period to give us an advantage.

Last year the biggest worry was that the Sabres couldn't score 5-5, and that they were too reliant on the power play. This year people are sobbing that the opposite is happening.

Meanwhile the team is on a record pace for points and wins.

say what you want but looking back at past cup winners I can think of none that did not have a good PK and at least a above average PP. All I can say is I hope that Timmy comes back stays healthy and dominates on the PP and that tallinder stays healthy and helps the PK. Playoffs always tighten up the 5 on 5 chances and scoring.

Why should we take away Ottawa? Don't they play in the NHL, not to mention the same conference?

That sounds like the "take away the three long TD passes Losman threw and he had a crappy game" argument we've seen on TSW...
I'd rather have a team that can score 5 on 5 than a team that has to rely on Frasier, McGeough, or Massenhoven to decide to pull out his whistle to make his obligatory penalty call for the period to give us an advantage.

Last year the biggest worry was that the Sabres couldn't score 5-5, and that they were too reliant on the power play. This year people are sobbing that the opposite is happening.

Meanwhile the team is on a record pace for points and wins.

And for all last season's hand-wringing about 5-on-5 goals, it's interesting to note that Carolina scored the most 5-on-5 goals in the playoffs - 36 in 25 G. Second place? Buffalo - with 35 goals in 18 G (a much better pace, BTW.)

(LINK)

Additionally, it is also interesting to note that Carolina also scored the most PPG in last year's playoffs and had the second-highest PP %, so I guess having both clicking might be the best way to ensure a trip to the finals...

Archived