Tallinder

Guest Sloth

Has there been any news on Tallinder? I didn't see the hit, but come on...3 injuries in 9 months. Not to mention that's two this season. I just hope it's minor. He's our best defensemen. The Sabres may need to make a trade for a defensemen, which would be unfortunate, because Kotalik has been playing good lately.

Personally, I wouldn't mind putting Kotalik back on D for a while, as kind of an experiment. He already plays the point on the PP and is a good two-way player. I bet playing him on D for a month or two would make him a complete player.

It's largely forgotten now, but Scotty Bowman was so frustrated with Sergei Federov's prima dona attitude that he played him at D for about half a season. He actually was a very capable defenseman, and when he finally got back to his usual spot, he was a far more complete player.

I'm not saying Lindy should do this because he is dissatisfied with Alex, but because if you were going to do it, he'd be the best candidate for the job. I think he would add some grit to the blue line.

As for Tallinder, the Buffalo News says:

The Sabres lost defenseman Henrik Tallinder to a sprained ankle late in the second period of Wednesday's 6-3 loss to Ottawa. He will be re-evaluated today in Buffalo, but coach Lindy Ruff is already counting him out for Friday's home game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I believe that the Sabres should trade Derek Roy for another defenseman. Before anyone slams me on this, hear me out. Too many times, I've seen him dive or get knocked off the puck easily. He also doesn't forecheck period. I've seen Briere throw his body at people, whereas, Roy just pushes a little. I'd rather have someone who can skate and stay on the puck to feed Max and Vanek to score.

While I'm on poor play, does anyone else think that Spacek makes too many poor decisions? I also have seen the puck get by him a lot while he's on point, PP and even strength.

Eric

Both. I think his decisions when coming out of the zone has got to improve. Either he still hasn't gotten a handle on the system the Sabres use or he gets lazy in his decision making. I'm not sure which it is.

Just not as bad as Kalinin's decision making has been though.

Personally, I wouldn't mind putting Kotalik back on D for a while, as kind of an experiment. He already plays the point on the PP and is a good two-way player. I bet playing him on D for a month or two would make him a complete player.

Playing the point on the PP doesn't mean jack in terms of a forward being converted into a defenseman, but...

If you want to turn Kotalik into a defenseman, the time to do it was in August/September during training camp, not during the stretch run of the regular season.

I believe that the Sabres should trade Derek Roy for another defenseman. Before anyone slams me on this, hear me out. Too many times, I've seen him dive or get knocked off the puck easily. He also doesn't forecheck period. I've seen Briere throw his body at people, whereas, Roy just pushes a little. I'd rather have someone who can skate and stay on the puck to feed Max and Vanek to score.

While I'm on poor play, does anyone else think that Spacek makes too many poor decisions? I also have seen the puck get by him a lot while he's on point, PP and even strength.

Eric

Are you sure you got the right guy?

Eric

If we get another D-man who goes? None of the guys we've got can go to Rochester without clearing waivers. Do we trade Roy for a prospect?

Eric

Roy forechecks, and he causes tons of turnovers when other teams are trying to break out of their zone. I think Derek really has a chance to develop and God knows we are going to need him to do that as our more talented and higher paid guys leave.

I wouldn't give Roy up right now. As it was mentioned, he's a great forechecker. He has great chemistry with Max and Vanek, he is turning into a good penalty killer and most importantly he's dynamic. He seems to fit into a lot of roles. Whether it's centering Max and Vanek, or playing with Drury and Grier to shut down the other team's best line in the playoffs...

I get frustrated with Roy, but he can be the most dangerous and most valuable of the Sabres' centers. Not only does he center what is arguably one of the top lines in the Eastern Conference right now, but when he (and his linemates) are playing well, they force the opposition to decide who to focus on, and it usually means either the Drury or Briere line is freed up to do their thing. He is also versatile enough to center a scoring or checking line, which gives Lindy freedom to move him around when things aren't going well.

Hey, I was as pissed about last night as anyone, but some of us need to back away from the ledge. Reading the board this morning, it seems readily apparent that we only have two or three guys that we should keep - and everyone else sucks. So far this morning I have read threads complaining about Spacek, Roy, Kotalik, Tallinder and Briere. It's a wonder we have won so many games...:doh:

Hey, I was as pissed about last night as anyone, but some of us need to back away from the ledge. Reading the board this morning, it seems readily apparent that we only have two or three guys that we should keep - and everyone else sucks. So far this morning I have read threads complaining about Spacek, Roy, Kotalik, Tallinder and Briere. It's a wonder we have won so many games...:doh:

This happens everytime we lose a game badly. It happens, but a lot of people panic.

This happens everytime we lose a game badly. It happens, but a lot of people panic.

I don't know if it so much panic as it is who is beating us. We've been outmatched by Ottawa and Atlanta....2 as skilled teams, who are bigger than us. Atlanta has a goalie as good as ours and Ottawa has a goalie who has been playing as good or better as ours while half of their top 8 guys have been shelved.

The panic sets in when even if we finish 1st in the conference....we get Washington in the 1st round, Atlanta in the 2nd and Ottawa in the 3rd. If we are lucky to get that far again...how much will be left in the tank and who will be standing?

I don't know if it so much panic as it is who is beating us. We've been outmatched by Ottawa and Atlanta....2 as skilled teams, who are bigger than us. Atlanta has a goalie as good as ours and Ottawa has a goalie who has been playing as good or better as ours while half of their top 8 guys have been shelved.

The panic sets in when even if we finish 1st in the conference....we get Washington in the 1st round, Atlanta in the 2nd and Ottawa in the 3rd. If we are lucky to get that far again...how much will be left in the tank and who will be standing?

How have we been outmatched by Atlanta? We are 1-0-1 against them. The loss coming at a time when we were due for a loss and coming in the shootout. A shootout loss is really no indication of how a series would go.

Atlanta? By winning one shootout against us? Montreal concerns me more than Atlanta... Carolina concerns me more than Atlanta.

What it comes down to is Emery outplayed Miller last night. He's done it in almost every game this season against the Sabres. Can he do it in the post season? Who knows? Last season he couldn't, but he did have a at least one regular season game where he did.

Atlanta? By winning one shootout against us? Montreal concerns me more than Atlanta... Carolina concerns me more than Atlanta.

What it comes down to is Emery outplayed Miller last night. He's done it in almost every game this season against the Sabres. Can he do it in the post season? Who knows? Last season he couldn't, but he did have a at least one regular season game where he did.

Miller didn't have his best game last night, but I don't really think he was the reason we lost. Emery is the reason that the game stayed scoreless in the 1st. However, the team looking shell shocked by the SH goal probably had more to do with the loss than anything else.

Miller didn't have his best game last night, but I don't really think he was the reason we lost. Emery is the reason that the game stayed scoreless in the 1st. However, the team looking shell shocked by the SH goal probably had more to do with the loss than anything else.

I'll second that. Our power play became so upsetting that it lead to a misserable effort all around. I said it in the off season (in my house to myself because I didn't know about you guys and this forum), but I'll say it again. The loss of Arniel as our PP coach hurt this team a lot. I'm not a doomsayer, so I won't say that it will cost us the cup. However, with Scott around I would have already put a pay check or two on the Sabres to win it all.

I wasn't trying to say Miller was the reason we lost. I was saying Emery was the reason Ottawa won. He's managed to get in the heads of our forwards. Miller did that to the Sens last May. It's a psychological thing that I think tips in our favor once the playoffs begin.

I get frustrated with Roy, but he can be the most dangerous and most valuable of the Sabres' centers. Not only does he center what is arguably one of the top lines in the Eastern Conference right now, but when he (and his linemates) are playing well, they force the opposition to decide who to focus on, and it usually means either the Drury or Briere line is freed up to do their thing. He is also versatile enough to center a scoring or checking line, which gives Lindy freedom to move him around when things aren't going well.

Well, I hope he turns it up and plays like he did last year. Yes, he is good on the PK but he is having trouble carrying the play in the offensive zone at even strength. That is why I get frustrated with him. Too many times he's on the ice and lost the puck, I truly believe he's just trying to hard to get a penalty called. The refs aren't buying it and his reputation to go down is going to hurt when he really does get hooked and grabbed.

Eric

Well, I hope he turns it up and plays like he did last year. Yes, he is good on the PK but he is having trouble carrying the play in the offensive zone at even strength. That is why I get frustrated with him. Too many times he's on the ice and lost the puck, I truly believe he's just trying to hard to get a penalty called. The refs aren't buying it and his reputation to go down is going to hurt when he really does get hooked and grabbed.

Eric

I really have to disagree with what you are saying. I watch every game and I think Roy is one of the best on the team at getting the puck into the offensive zone. Because of his tremendous speed and quickness, I see him get in the zone untouched with the puck many many times. Roy, Max, and Danny are probably the best at this. I know he goes down easy, but he is pretty small. Derek Roy is still really young and just like Pominville, he is starting to come into his own. I really don't know how people can say things like this about some of our players and suggest they get traded. People only remember the mistakes.

Has there been any news on Tallinder? I didn't see the hit, but come on...3 injuries in 9 months. Not to mention that's two this season. I just hope it's minor. He's our best defensemen. The Sabres may need to make a trade for a defensemen, which would be unfortunate, because Kotalik has been playing good lately.

Tallinder is "week to week" with a high ankle sprain

TSN - Tallinder

I really don't know how people can say things like this about some of our players and suggest they get traded. People only remember the mistakes.

Because in order to trade for a D-man that will be able to make a contribution, you are going to have to give up some talent. The talent that I'd be willing to let go is Hecht or Roy. I would've thrown Kotalik in there but he has been showing some heart lately and finding the back of the net. I know people like these guys but you can't expect to give away Mair or Peters and get a solid D-man.

Kotalik has 11 goals 15 assists and a 10.9 shooting percent.

Roy has 5 goals 20 assists and a 8.9 shooting percent.

At the risk of being a master of the obvious, the Sabres need size and especially on defense. I love the way they when they dictate pace and are getting loose pucks and getting to the net. But, when they start slow or have a bad night their lack of a forecheck or stiffer D prevents them from tipping the game more easily back in their favor. .

Of course what they want is like pitching in baseball and linemen in football, everyone needs them. With Briere and/or Dury likely leaving after this year. I'd say trade Biron and a forward for a missing piece. Perhaps the way to go is trade for someone help them on the power play and break that bad spell

Being that they are in a tight spot with the cap brings me back to signing Connelly instead of Grier or McKee. I have no idea why such a cautious organization took such a gamble.

Being that they are in a tight spot with the cap brings me back to signing Connelly instead of Grier or McKee. I have no idea why such a cautious organization took such a gamble.

Perhaps it's because Connolly was our best player in the playoffs before his injury and is 4 years younger than Jay McKee (who is already starting to breakdown). There's no way I'd want to be on the hook for the last 2 years and $8 million dollars of McKee's 4 year, $16 million contract.

The Sabres offered to match the Sharks offer to Grier, who spurned them. That's not being cautious, it's a player making a choice. No reason to fault the organization for that.

I love how one loss in the last 5 games means there's no way we can be successful in the playoffs. I'll believe Ottawa can beat us in the postseason when they:

1. Actually get into the playoffs

2. Actually win a tough series in the playoffs.

At the risk of being a master of the obvious, the Sabres need size and especially on defense. I love the way they when they dictate pace and are getting loose pucks and getting to the net. But, when they start slow or have a bad night their lack of a forecheck or stiffer D prevents them from tipping the game more easily back in their favor. .

Of course what they want is like pitching in baseball and linemen in football, everyone needs them. With Briere and/or Dury likely leaving after this year. I'd say trade Biron and a forward for a missing piece. Perhaps the way to go is trade for someone help them on the power play and break that bad spell

Why is that "obvious"?

With size you lose speed. The Sabres are proving speed kills. I have no interest in giving any of it up. I am sure if the Sabres where to make any of the six defense available Regier would have 29 phone calls in a instant.

As far as Grier or McKee. They offered Grier a contract and he decided to play closer to his family. I would also consider Spacek a huge upgrade to McKee at this point.

Archived