Nolan Snubbed?

inkman

I was a fan of Ted Nolan when he coached "the hardest working team in hockey". Something about him always rubbed me the wrong way though. It seems like he has an unquenchable desire to get credit for everything he was a part of. Sure, he was the coach of the year and did do a great job but dude needs to give it a rest. How weird and awkward would it have been had the Sabres gone out of their way to mention something about him now? It's ancient history and he's a part of another organization. Thanks for all you did Ted but you've been gone for a long time now.

Linky

Nolan said he long ago got over his bitter departure from the Sabres' organization, but it was clear the snub during Buffalo's 3-1 win at sold-out HSBC Arena stung a bit. "It's sad," Nolan said. "It would have been nice if someone who had accomplished something here in the past was acknowledged."

Doesn't sound like it to me.

I agree. if the local media want to point out his history and accomplishments with the Sabres, that's fine...and they have. But what's the team supposed to do? Give him a plaque at center ice? Ex-coaches and players are just that-the team doesn't commemorate Dominik Hasek or John Muckler or even Dave Andrychuck's return whenever they play in Buffalo

I agree. if the local media want to point out his history and accomplishments with the Sabres, that's fine...and they have. But what's the team supposed to do? Give him a plaque at center ice? Ex-coaches and players are just that-the team doesn't commemorate Dominik Hasek or John Muckler or even Dave Andrychuck's return whenever they play in Buffalo

My point exactly.

What did he accomplish, exactly? A Derek Plante game 7 OT goal?

I liked what he got out of the talent he had to work with, but to indicate that he deserves any kind of official recognition from The Sabres organisation merely becuase of that, well that just indicates that he doesn't understand the game of professionals.

Nolan's Quote:

"One guy I met said he kept tapes from when I was here, and he goes back and watches that. Buffalo is a hard-working town, and they wanted a hard-working team. Hopefully, we started that trend. Now they've got a great team and they're playing hard."

Sorry Teddy, you get ZERO credit for today's Sabres and you look pathetic trying to glom on. If you go around begging for credit it's probably because, deep down, you know you don't deserve any.

This team is the realization of Lindy Ruff's vision, and is no fluke. He was an asst. coach on the Florida Panthers team that went to the SCF using a similar disciplined style that we see today with a team commitment to defense and calculated risk taking. He wore the C as a Sabre. He's always been a leader.

Lindy has been very active in their development up through Rochester. When I lived in Philly I saw him and Larry Carriere at an Amerks/Phantoms playoff game (Sabres/Flyers series off night) at the Spectrum the year of LeClairs side pocket goal. He knows and understands his players and motivates them expertly.

Lindy is a leader of men and conducts himself with dignity. I believe Lindy, more than any other single person (apologies to TG) is responsible for the juggernaut that now skates in Buffalo and will continue for years. Lindy is approaching legendary status and is a lock for the HOF. It's a pleasure to watch.

I wasn't around for Nolen's tenure but from what I gather he was a one-hit-wonder. He motivated a marginally talented group to "stick it to the man who is keeping us down". If the rumors are true, after he stuck it to the man, he tried to stick it to the man's wife and got his classless, insecure ass drummed out of he league.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Nolen, but I'm sick of hearing about him. This is Lindy's team.

Go Sabres!

Niagara, I would learn to spell the man's name before engaging in ridiculous rumor-mongering.

That said, Nolan's "sad" quote does rub me the wrong way. He could have said nothing and made the Sabres look like the villains here, but in the end, his comment reveals just a bit more about his character. He does seem whiny, doesn't he?

I also think Lindy Ruff's comment was telling. He seemed a bit irked. I am guessing LQ went to LR and asked for permission to give some acknowledgement to Nolan, and the coach begged off.

Niagara, I would learn to spell the man's name before engaging in ridiculous rumor-mongering.

That said, Nolan's "sad" quote does rub me the wrong way. He could have said nothing and made the Sabres look like the villains here, but in the end, his comment reveals just a bit more about his character. He does seem whiny, doesn't he?

I also think Lindy Ruff's comment was telling. He seemed a bit irked. I am guessing LQ went to LR and asked for permission to give some acknowledgement to Nolan, and the coach begged off.

Thank god you didn't engage in ridiculous rumor-mongering.

I am guessing LQ went to LR and asked for permission to give some acknowledgement to Nolan, and the coach begged off.

You just scolded Niagara for rumor mongering and then you pull that out of ... where exactly? If LQ wants to do something, he certainly does not need to ask Lindy's permission. Ruff had nothing but nice things to say about Nolan, going out of his way to say he was glad he was back in the league and is doing a good job. If he was irked, it's probably that he keeps getting asked questions about something that happened before he even arrived and before all but one of his players was even in the organIzation. He is in a no-win situation commenting on it, but he did take the high road.

As for Nolan, he really does need to let it go. I like him and I am glad he is back and doing well, but I have little sympathy for his nine years away. He admits he could have gone to Tampa in 1997 but turned it down for family reasons, and that's fine, but you can't turn down jobs in an industry where there are only 30 of them in the WORLD and then say you were blackballed. And while he may not totally deserve the "GM killer" label he got, he DID have disagreements with the Sabres front office and he IS stubborn about what he thinks is right. It's part of why his players love him, because he sticks up for them, but it also means he's not right for every coaching job that comes open.

Whoops.."Nolan". Any yes, it it complete rumor mongering, for which I apologize. As I said, I wasn't here and couldn't follow what happened during his tenure so I am repeating rumors that I heard. Something unusual happened, though. Because a Jack Adams winner would have been picked up somewhere before now you'd think.

And AD, I do think Ruff is HOF calibre. If this team wins the Cup(s), which they are capable of, Lindy's longevity and vison to capitalize on changing rules and remain highly competitive in various eras (SCF in the clutch and grab days) early adoption and mastery of the new run and gun NHL, etc. He would have to be considered a candidate, and my bias leads me to call him a lock.

I'm not sure what Ted wanted? Roll out the red carpet as the coach of the opposing team?

Fans down in the one corner of the rink held up a huge sign(spanned 5-10 people) that read "Welcome back coach of the year". I'm not sure what could mean any more to him than the fans doing this.

Don't go away mad Ted, just go away! <_<

I'm not sure what Ted wanted? Roll out the red carpet as the coach of the opposing team?

Fans down in the one corner of the rink held up a huge sign(spanned 5-10 people) that read "Welcome back coach of the year". I'm not sure what could mean any more to him than the fans doing this.

Don't go away mad Ted, just go away! <_<

Exactly. When can we stop with the pennance with this guy? He walked away from the Buffalo deal. He turned down a deal to coach the Lightning because he didn't want to move his family. Fact is that this guy just made some bad career decisions.

Enough with the Nolan guilt trip.

With the way Nolan's departure went down, and the fact that we now have a Jack Adams Trophy winner behind our bench, I wouldn't have thought twice about acknowledging Nolan. I simply wouldn't do it - IMO, showing him on the scoreboard or announcing him over the PA would be a slap in the face to Lindy.

There are still people out there that wanted to fire Lindy as recently as last season, and every time the team struggled (up till last playoffs) there were idiots who wanted the Sabres to bring back Nolan, and I am sure Lindy has heard some of that and it probably stings.

IMO, the Sabres handled it perfectly - they let the fans put up a few signs to greet him in their own way, and then it was time to move on.

You just scolded Niagara for rumor mongering and then you pull that out of ... where exactly? If LQ wants to do something, he certainly does not need to ask Lindy's permission.

Do you guys know what "I am guessing" means? How that can be compared to rumors about Nolan is beyond me.

You're damn right, if the Sabres were even considering an acknowledgment of Nolan, the FIRST place some suit would go would be to Lindy. Anything that could remotely affect the team has to be vetted through the coach. I think Larry is smart enough to know that. Given that Ted was allowed to record a video presentation on LaLa night, and the crowd responded loudly, I AM GUESSING Larry was in favor of doing something again.

See, now I'm all grumpy. My New Year's Resolution is already down the dumper.

Why should he get special treatment? He is just a former coach returning as an opposing coach

If you start doing this for him, why not extend it to former players too, We could hold a double cermony for Miro and Nolan at every Islanders game, have a celebration when McKee and the Blues come back to town, Raise a Banner for Dumont when Nashville comes to play

Thanks for your 2 years behind the bench and making Buffalo the hardest working team in Hocky 10 years ago, now get over yourself and move on with your life

Even if they had showed him on the jumbotron, or if they had done anything, i doubt there would have been a deafening cheer. For the only home game i will get to go to this year until the playoffs, i was dissapointed with how quiet the crowd was. However, i was too sleepy really to care much.

I noticed that too... For all my mocking of the Sens fans... Yesterday's game (listened on Sirius) was so, so quiet... I could literally here the puck slapping around and the players... Sounded like it was being played at a community rink...

Not sure if this was due to the fact that the game started at 4pm on New Year's Day... Everybody must have been hungover?

I noticed that too... For all my mocking of the Sens fans... Yesterday's game (listened on Sirius) was so, so quiet... I could literally here the puck slapping around and the players... Sounded like it was being played at a community rink...

Not sure if this was due to the fact that the game started at 4pm on New Year's Day... Everybody must have been hungover?

I was at the game and didn't notice anything to make me say it was a quiet crowd. There were quite a few "Lets Go Buffalo" chants and a good level of excitement at appropriate times.

Obviously not as rowdy as a Friday or Saturday night crowd, but good none the less.

I was at the game and didn't notice anything to make me say it was a quiet crowd. There were quite a few "Lets Go Buffalo" chants and a good level of excitement at appropriate times.

Obviously not as rowdy as a Friday or Saturday night crowd, but good none the less.

I do hear you... At moments it got noisy... Then it really sounded quiet...

I was out and about so I was listening in the car on Sirius (121... RJ was calling)...

Don't know how they had it mic'd or where the mic was fed from... But, I could literally hear the pass of the puck...

I just think it was an afternoon game on a holiday... Not complaining, I actually enjoyed hearing the game action...

Archived