Just How Good Is Jason Pomminville?

bob_sauve28

The way he started the season I was beginning to consider him a top echelon player in the league. He was scoring lots of goals, scored big goals like last year in the playoffs, and he was just a generally hard working player who was blessed with good speed and above average talent. Then came this slump. Seemed like a long time in between goals. I started to re-think that. Now he bangs home two last night. Is he going to be like earlier in the season or was that just him performing way above his actual level? Of course, I really hope he goes back to his high scoring form of earlier. These slumps happen but they end, right?

The way he started the season I was beginning to consider him a top echelon player in the league. He was scoring lots of goals, scored big goals like last year in the playoffs, and he was just a generally hard working player who was blessed with good speed and above average talent. Then came this slump. Seemed like a long time in between goals. I started to re-think that. Now he bangs home two last night. Is he going to be like earlier in the season or was that just him performing way above his actual level? Of course, I really hope he goes back to his high scoring form of earlier. These slumps happen but they end, right?

I would say that Pominville is one of my favorite players on this team. But I never considered him a "top echelon player". That seems more like wishful thinking than reality.

Pominville is a very good young player who is only getting better with each passing shift. Can he someday be a "top echelon player"? He could someday.

We all want to have superstars, but that's not what this team is about. As long as the goals come, I'll be happy. And from as many sources as possible. The problem is the goals have started drying up like Aunt Betty's fruitcake. What we need in the New Year -- lots of four and five goal games with four and five different scorers!

I believe Pominville has the potential to be a 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL(starting with this year). He has 34 goals and 57 points in his 93 game NHL career. I'd like to see Lindy give him a shot up front on the PP. A lot of goals are scored from within a few feet of the net and with hands like Pominville's, he could feast off the PP.

In closing...not bad for a player who at the beginning of last year looked like someone who may never be anything more than a very good career minor leaguer.

Pomminstein is a top 6 forward on any team in the league.

I like Pominville, but that might be a bit overstated. IMHO, he's top 6 on probably 15-20 teams and top 9 on the rest. In any case that is just quibbling. He's a good forward who can play even strength as well as special teams. He has good hockey sense and is usually in the right spot at the right time (ie going to the net and creating an angle for the puckhandler to pass it to him). He's a very good finisher and also has an excellent slapper. With a good playmaking center he's good for 30 goals a year.

I like Pominville, but that might be a bit overstated. IMHO, he's top 6 on probably 15-20 teams and top 9 on the rest. In any case that is just quibbling. He's a good forward who can play even strength as well as special teams. He has good hockey sense and is usually in the right spot at the right time (ie going to the net and creating an angle for the puckhandler to pass it to him). He's a very good finisher and also has an excellent slapper. With a good playmaking center he's good for 30 goals a year.

I don't think it is a reach. I really do think that nearly every team would make room for him on the first or second line. He skates well, plays two ways, can finish, is a great skater - you don't always notice how great a skater he is because he is on a team of great skaters.

I think he is in the top 20 in nearly every scoring category for a RW. I am not saying he is a megastar, but this is going to be his first full NHL season and so far he is doing great.

Miller and Ruff appreciate Poms...

Miller appreciated Pominville's work, and he did again later.

"In the second period I dropped one in the middle of the crease and instead of thinking I'd have it, he kept skating and skated to the crease and batted it away," Miller said.

Of course, great defense is nothing new for Pominville.

"You look at how I utilize him and he's trusted in every situation," Ruff said. "He doesn't take any play for granted and he thinks he can make a difference on almost any play out there."

I agree. This kid is very humble and plays very hard all the time. He's getting what he deserves for all the hard work he's put in.

Open question: How many forwards in the league can make that play that

Pomminstein made on Cole tonight?

that was indeed a great play. Cole outweighs Pominville by 27 lbs (205 to 178), but Jason picked him clean and knocked him on his butt in the process.

Not sure that it was such a unique play, however. Backchecking is all about determination, so that play is makeable by a speedy forward who was in the play and competing. Kotalik made a similar play last night (on which was wrongly, IMHO, penalized).

In any case it was a great play by Pominville, who had a very strong game.

that was indeed a great play. Cole outweighs Pominville by 27 lbs (205 to 178), but Jason picked him clean and knocked him on his butt in the process.

Not sure that it was such a unique play, however. Backchecking is all about determination, so that play is makeable by a speedy forward who was in the play and competing. Kotalik made a similar play last night (on which was wrongly, IMHO, penalized).

Fully in agreement. Bad call, two great plays!

What I thought was exceptional about the play was the speed with which Pommer closed on Cole to make the play to pick him clean. I thought it was beautiful. You don't see that everyday.

I'm just thinking of hands and ability to finish around the net.

More than hands I think he does a great job getting to the right position.

He does a great job of getting to the spot and finding the angles.

Realistically I think he is a 30 goal a year guy. And he can play every unit.

In the ECF Lindy even considered playing him on defense.

Archived