will Kotalik ever score again??

bottlecap

If he's going to be on the point during the PP, he has to figure out how to get his shot through. Too many times he fires it right into the shin pads of the defender.

As for Ruff, I hope he makes a couple calls down the thruway and brings up a couple guys to push Big Al and a couple others into working harder each and every shift.

A couple healthy scratches might be the spark some of these guys need...

If he's going to be on the point during the PP, he has to figure out how to get his shot through. Too many times he fires it right into the shin pads of the defender.

As for Ruff, I hope he makes a couple calls down the thruway and brings up a couple guys to push Big Al and a couple others into working harder each and every shift.

A couple healthy scratches might be the spark some of these guys need...

yea i do like that idea... but what message does it send to the rest of the leauge if were benching players... i mean were supposed to be one of the elite teams in the leauge... we shouldn't really have this problem... i guess it comes with being just that damn good.

IMO, the message it sends is "even though we're 24-6-2, we're still not playing our best hockey, and we have enough depth to make changes if we need to." Besides, who really cares what message it sends to the league, as long as our guys respond and we start tearing it up again. Guys like Kotalik & Novonty (just a couple names off the top of my head) might need that "crap, I have to work harder" kick in the pants that only a healthy scratch can provide.

yea i do like that idea... but what message does it send to the rest of the leauge if were benching players... i mean were supposed to be one of the elite teams in the leauge... we shouldn't really have this problem... i guess it comes with being just that damn good.

You've got it right; our expectations are high (and for good reason). The loss tonight had something to do with Kotalik, and it had something to do with the other seventeen skaters, too. Maybe it's that they're tired, maybe it's that they're bored, but from five minutes in until ten minutes left, the Sens outworked Buffalo. (Yes, there was a flash in the second period where Buffalo worked.)

When the team works, when the passes actually connect because the pass isn't made in a half-assed manner, when the shot is meant to go IN and not just on net, the Sabs are incredible.

Of course, the players are human. I just wish they wouldn't dlsclose their mortality so well as they did tonight.

But back to Ales--was he really so bad? I can look at Kalinin and Paetch, Roy and Novotny, too. And I even can look to Ruff, who for some reason thought that 76-13-22 made a good line. (Even in another context, those numbers are bad.)

It's all over the place tonight.

You've got it right; our expectations are high (and for good reason). The loss tonight had something to do with Kotalik, and it had something to do with the other seventeen skaters, too. Maybe it's that they're tired, maybe it's that they're bored, but from five minutes in until ten minutes left, the Sens outworked Buffalo. (Yes, there was a flash in the second period where Buffalo worked.)

When the team works, when the passes actually connect because the pass isn't made in a half-assed manner, when the shot is meant to go IN and not just on net, the Sabs are incredible.

Of course, the players are human. I just wish they wouldn't dlsclose their mortality so well as they did tonight.

But back to Ales--was he really so bad? I can look at Kalinin and Paetch, Roy and Novotny, too. And I even can look to Ruff, who for some reason thought that 76-13-22 made a good line. (Even in another context, those numbers are bad.)

It's all over the place tonight.

Surprising to see Roy's name in there---he seems to have a knack for setting up scoring chances and he did so again tonite a few times---we had plenty of chances to tie or win the game, they just couldn't cash in---Hecht and Drury point blank with an open both bury those shots 9 out of 10 times, and tonite one missed the net(how I don't know), and the other had the puck bounce on him(as was the case all night with the whole team), and by the time he settled it, Emery was able to get his stick over to make a great save...

I'm sure Ottawa could say they had plenty of chances to score 2 or 3 more, but I really believe that as far as scoring chances we were at least even, if not ahead....

What BM said. We're not "that damn good" and haven't been for awhile. Forget the record. It's fool's good. I'm getting worried.

Eleven, you got me thinking. Is Ruff sending the wrong message by talking about "getting shots to the net." Isn't that how he coached the 98-01 bunch? I didn't like the line juggling either. Kind of a panic move. But I'm all in favor of seeing Paille and Stafford up here Tuesday.

I'm glad to see others are fed up with Kotalik's play, or lack there of as well. Right now he's trade fodder at the deadline in my book.

I was a little surprised to see Roy mentioned tonight as well, but only because I didn't think others were getting frustrated with him. I don't expect Roy to net 30 goals a year, but despite playing with Max, who creates a ton of space and chances, and Vanek, who is so good around the net, Roy just doesn't seem to be playing up to his potential right now.

Am I wrong about this? I could be...maybe I'm thinking too much of the Derek Roy I watched in the playoffs last spring, scoring goals, and was seemingly everywhere on the ice, all the time. The only time I've really "noticed" Roy over the 5 games has been on the PK and his goal vs Montreal a few nights ago. What am I missing?

I'm glad to see others are fed up with Kotalik's play, or lack there of as well. Right now he's trade fodder at the deadline in my book.

Wouldn't mind that one bit.

He disappeared last March, and hasn't been seen since. Did squat in the playoffs, and has done squat so far this season.

ONE powerplay goal is all he has thus far - ONE....!

Time to sit.

I agree with Kotalik, and I think Novotny as well has underperformed. I liked Paille and Stafford. Give the kids the chance and deal the other guys. Or sit them for a while. Or maybe come up with a 3 week injury. <_< Either way, lets see what the youngsters can do night in and night out. They are the future after all, lets get them in the game....

But can the team afford to call up players from Rochester to make a point to the starters? I agree that it does seem like the right time to make a statement to Kotalik, but given our potential cap problems with Timmay's return on the horizon (never thought I'd see him back, but glad of it), such a move might just be impossible to justify financially.

But can the team afford to call up players from Rochester to make a point to the starters? I agree that it does seem like the right time to make a statement to Kotalik, but given our potential cap problems with Timmay's return on the horizon (never thought I'd see him back, but glad of it), such a move might just be impossible to justify financially.

Then stick the bum on the fourth line, only skating every other shift. For once, I actually miss Lindy's doghouse.

Left Mair have a crack at his spot instead, even if he is a natural center, it cannot possibly get any worse?

Then stick the bum on the fourth line, only skating every other shift. For once, I actually miss Lindy's doghouse.

Left Mair have a crack at his spot instead, even if he is a natural center, it cannot possibly get any worse?

I agree. Mair is a great player who plays hard every game. Kotalik needs to sit or play a lot less time on the ice.

I agree. Mair is a great player who plays hard every game. Kotalik needs to sit or play a lot less time on the ice.

Kotalik plays just as hard as any Sabre does; he's just not finishing right now. A lot of folks had the same to say about one Afinogenov thirteen months ago.

Kotalik is playing a lazy game atm he doesn't attack the puck nor skate when away from the puck he needs to be scratched or as others have said dropped to about 5 mins of ice time on the 4th line

here are some Kotalik stats on hte season

GP 32, G 6, A 10, P 16, -1, 6 PPP

PP TOI/G 2:45, ES TOI/G 11:47, TOI/G 14:40

6 powerplay points in 32 games for a guy that is a regular on the point just does not cut it. Also for someone to have 14:40 of icetime per game to be on hte negative of the plus/minus and not produce? Unexceptable

Kotalik is playing a lazy game atm he doesn't attack the puck nor skate when away from the puck he needs to be scratched or as others have said dropped to about 5 mins of ice time on the 4th line

here are some Kotalik stats on hte season

GP 32, G 6, A 10, P 16, -1, 6 PPP

PP TOI/G 2:45, ES TOI/G 11:47, TOI/G 14:40

6 powerplay points in 32 games for a guy that is a regular on the point just does not cut it. Also for someone to have 14:40 of icetime per game to be on hte negative of the plus/minus and not produce? Unexceptable

Other than the +/- comment....you just described Brian Campbell

If you sit Kotalik, you might as well waive the white flag for Drury's line. As fancy as eyerything was going for us, we really have 1 offensive line. Vanek-Max-Whoever. If Kotalik sits, that means putting a rookie or another defensive type foreward on that line.

It may be time for Ruff to bite the bullet and put Briere between Max and Vanek. Play them 20min and powerplays. Move Hecht over with Drury and Gaustad to set up a great checking line who can still score....then put Kotalik on a line with Roy and Pominville to speed things up for him. Part of the reason he looks like he is playing slow is because he is on a line with 2 plodders in Drury+Novotny/Gaustad. Roy and Pominville had great chemistry early last year.

I want my superstar line....AND I want Kotalik to get it going.

Everyone wants Kotalik to get it going. But it isn't going to happen with him continueing to play the point on are bad powerplay and defintly isn't gonna happen with him getting his 14 mins a night on Drury's line. You can't make any comparison with the numbers i put up for Kotalik to Campbell because Campbell is not the one excpected to use his shot on the point he is to setup the shot, and Campbell has done a good job of skating and moving the puck up ice. Kotalik needs to get back to at least how he was playing earlier this season, one were he skated, made smart decisions with the puck, and played it tough on the boards. If he does that I would be happy to see him get 14 mins a game.

Archived