Buffalo News

X. Benedict

Help me out here guys. It is a small thing, but what the hell, let's be

a better hockey town.

When they print the game previews for hockey - they show the rosters and

goals and PP and PK percentages. It wouldn't hurt for them to print the league

"I buy the Buffalo News most days for just the Hockey coverage.

Please when listing the Power Play and Penalty Kill percentages could you print the league rank in ( ). It shouldn't cost you any more in copy. For example:

Record last 5: 3-2

Power play: 29-170 (17.1%- 9th)

Penalty killing: 133-159 (83.6%- 11th)

This is a no-brainer.

Thanks."

Help me out by sending a message to

Howard Smith the Sports Editor on the contact page - Feel free to copy the above. and click on Howard's name for the email form.

http://www.buffalonews.com/services/newsro....asp?dept_id=12

Good point, X.

Here's something I noticed last night, watching the end of the Avs-Blues game - the Colorado broadcast and team/arena make the announcing of the 3 Stars as part of the show, dimming lights and spotlighting Avs players, all that. The Avs telecast had a camera down on ice level to show the 3 stars as they were announced. Why can't we do that? As a kid, seeing the 3 stars selection was one of my favorite parts of the game experience.

Good point, X.

Here's something I noticed last night, watching the end of the Avs-Blues game - the Colorado broadcast and team/arena make the announcing of the 3 Stars as part of the show, dimming lights and spotlighting Avs players, all that. The Avs telecast had a camera down on ice level to show the 3 stars as they were announced. Why can't we do that? As a kid, seeing the 3 stars selection was one of my favorite parts of the game experience.

The only trouble with game stars these days is that hockey writing in a lot of US cities - really, really,

blows.

I think there was one win this year when Buffalo won and didn't get a game star.

This may work for home games. In some hockey markets the 3-star selection is just embarrassing.

I am waiting for the night when a player is named a game star on a -5 night.

How about another letter: "Stop publishing NHL salary cap articles that are completely inaccurate."

Isn't it easier to just say "stop publishing NHL salary cap articles"? Considering I haven't seen ANY salary cap articles outside of THN and an occasional one from TSN (although they are hit or miss) that ARE accurate, I tend to consider "salary cap article" and "inaccurate salary cap article" as 1 and the same thing.

Isn't it easier to just say "stop publishing NHL salary cap articles"? Considering I haven't seen ANY salary cap articles outside of THN and an occasional one from TSN (although they are hit or miss) that ARE accurate, I tend to consider "salary cap article" and "inaccurate salary cap article" as 1 and the same thing.

Good point. Maybe if they still had someone like Jim Kelley on staff, they might be able to get some factual cap info in their paper. Hell, he might not even have a clear grasp on the cap, but he wouldn't write something that further confuses the readers.

The only trouble with game stars these days is that hockey writing in a lot of US cities - really, really,

blows.

I think there was one win this year when Buffalo won and didn't get a game star.

This may work for home games. In some hockey markets the 3-star selection is just embarrassing.

I am waiting for the night when a player is named a game star on a -5 night.

Miller got snubbed in Detroit. Ri-dic-u-lous.

Good thought, BM. I'd also love to see the anthems again. Oh well, it's all about the Benjamins. What isn't anymore?

Well at least you get hockey coverage in the Buffalo News. The Baltimore Sun no longer prints hockey box scores. If the CAPS are on fire, the CAPS coverage goes up, but generally, a Buffalo Sabres win is covered by a two-sentence paragraph and that's it (they still have the league standings).

Miller got snubbed in Detroit. Ri-dic-u-lous.

Good thought, BM. I'd also love to see the anthems again. Oh well, it's all about the Benjamins. What isn't anymore?

You would think that they could find a sponsor to present the 3 stars and anthems - then Tommy G would make some coin off it, and he could pay a little less for his on-air personalities (I am assuming that he pays them based on actual time on-air. Gotta save some cash wherever you can... ;))

Archived