Let the kids finish the ride.

deluca67

Maybe we should stop looking for other teams playoffs heros and give the kids a chance to become heros.

Today alone I've read and heard about Weight, Mogilny and players from the Av's and other trade rumors.

This may sound weird coming from me. But lets give Roy, Vanek, Miller and Gaustad and the others a chance to finish the job they started before we all start looking to trade our future for other teams past glory.

Joe Sakic wasn't a household (hockey households) name until he was given the chance. Claude Lemiuex (sp?)? No one heard about him until an overachieving Habs team won the cup. Now he's a playoff legend.

I'm willing to take the word of those that say Grier's playoff experience will help this team. And those who say Briere, Drury and Dumont will be back and healthy for the playoffs.

The future of this team is in it's youth and the teams ability to make a profit. Ruff and Regier have done a great job. Regier should win the 'Exec of the Year'. I just hope they don't get drunk on the early success and stray of course.

Peace B-)

I'm all for keeping most of these guys around for the playoffs. This team looks like it could be a contender over the next 4-6 years. These kids are going to have to get that playoff experience at some point. Why not see what happens? If that ends up being the downfall of the team, so be it. They'll be ready for the next few seasons because of it.

someone stole deluca's password and loged into his account.

cmon! we def need help on defense, and have to move 1 of the 3 goalies. a steady playoff veteran wouldnt be bad pick up at the deadline either (the most likely move).

Go sabes.

Since all the goalies are under contract they don't have to do a thing.

They do need another blueliner. But I'm don't want to see them give up anything unless it's for a long term solution. Any player they pick up should be with the intentions of that player being here next year and beyond.

true - they are under K, but its a bit ridiculous to carry 3 goalies. regier needs to get something done, but, of course, he wont.

BTW - who is responsible for our drafting the last 4-5 year? If its Regier, he should be getting some praise. Our young players are playing very very well.

The future of this team is in it's youth and the teams ability to make a profit. Ruff and Regier have done a great job. Regier should win the 'Exec of the Year'. I just hope they don't get drunk on the early success and stray of course.

Peace B-)

For you to say this shows a lot of class on your part... Especially since you were so subtle in your opinion of them in September... ;)

Maybe you understand what will happen as guys start to get healthy: Do we have to expose some of these guys to the waiver wire? If so, then Pyatt and possibly Brierre just had a season ended. Can Paille still be sent down? I assume Roy and Pominville can't be sent back.

One guy I at least wouldn't mind seeing traded is Max. For some reason, he doesn't seem to be a part of the "chemistry." I have no idea what you could get for him, though.

The guy who is becoming my favorite player is Timmy. Welcome to the NHL, and keep it up.

Maybe you understand what will happen as guys start to get healthy: Do we have to expose some of these guys to the waiver wire? If so, then Pyatt and possibly Brierre just had a season ended. Can Paille still be sent down? I assume Roy and Pominville can't be sent back.

Paille and Roy can be moved freely between Rochester and Buffalo as much as the team likes. Pominville would have to clear waivers to be sent down.

For you to say this shows a lot of class on your part... Especially since you were so subtle in your opinion of them in September... ;)

One guy I at least wouldn't mind seeing traded is Max. For some reason, he doesn't seem to be a part of the "chemistry." I have no idea what you could get for him, though.

The guy who is becoming my favorite player is Timmy. Welcome to the NHL, and keep it up.

After seeing what happened to the Bills I think I have seen the light. You can't keep looking to the past. If you do? You can never get to the future.

So, instead of fighting meaningless battles over players long gone I'm going to concentrate on the future and the players who can get this team where I hope it can go. To the Finals.

The Sabres won't get there buy picking up over priced heros from days gone by. Mogilny, Weight and others had their day. I want to see the kids get their day.

That doesn't mean I want the Sabres to stand pat. I just don't want to sell out the future for a run know. ;) Call it growth :)

That doesn't mean I want the Sabres to stand pat. I just don't want to sell out the future for a run know.? Call it growth?

The way Regier has worked over the last few years, is there any reason to think he's going to trade any of our young players away, like Roy, Gaustad, Vanek or Miller?...

He will tinker, not by much, and he will grab a little experience to help guide our young players...

Let's not fall too much in love with this roster though...we are playing over are heads a little...this d needs help!

The way Regier has worked over the last few years, is there any reason to think he's going to trade any of our young players away, like Roy, Gaustad, Vanek or Miller?...

He will tinker, not by much, and he will grab a little experience to help guide our young players...

Let's not fall too much in love with this roster though...we are playing over are heads a little...this d needs help!

yea like others have said previously were about a forward or 2 away from not being able to score at all.... with as many injuries to forwards we have its getting tougher and tougher... i don't think ive seen us score 4 or more goals in the last little while... and every game has been really close... granted miller has been spectacular and kept it to around a goal or 2. were lucky the defense hasn't taken a hit... even 1 injury to the defense and were in trouble. however we do have jillson down there in rochester... he's somewhat servicable but not long term i don't think.

Everyone keeps saying we need help on D. I was saying this myself earlier in the year, but now I think if we need anything it's help up front. I think when we had to reach down for Roy and then Pominville, it wasn't too bad and those 2 played pretty well, but now, having reached down further, it just seems like we don't have enough scoring.

Kotalik is in a huge slump, Connelly isn't exactly slumping but is a bit quiet, Hecht has had a very unproductive year, and having lost Briere, Dumont and then Drury, we just aren't generating enough chances. Maybe it's unfair to expect our team to keep absorbing these injury losses. Either way, without Drury I don't see us being able to score more than 2 or (3 at the most) per game. We just aren't going to get much offense out of the Gaustadt/Grier/Hecht and Mair/Paille/Pominville lines. That's a lot of pressure to put on Miller and Marty.

Drury's injury worries me, as groin strains can get worse and/or hinder a player all year. Briere and Dumont aren't back until after the olympics. Pominville seems like a nice spare part who can pull his weight on the penalty kill and has a good point shot on the PP, but he's not a guy who can generate scoring chances. Paille hasn't done anything.

Meanwhile, I've steadily become more and more comfortable with our defense. Campbell has really stepped up this year and become pretty reliable in our end and a real weapon on offense. Numminen has been pretty solid after a shaky start. Tallinder is playing great. With Kalinin back I think we have 6 legit NHL defensemen, plus Fitzie for depth if McKee or someone else gets hurt. None of these guys are stars, but all are pretty competent.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we're going to trade Marty and/or anyone else, I'd rather get someone who can light the lamp -- like when we traded for Joey Juneau during the Dominik playoff run (although hopefully it won't be a short-term rental like that if we give up Marty).

Separately, I'm going to be pretty unhappy if the reports of no TV for the Phoenix game are true.

Go Sabres.

Everyone keeps saying we need help on D.  I was saying this myself earlier in the year, but now I think if we need anything it's help up front.  I think when we had to reach down for Roy and then Pominville, it wasn't too bad and those 2 played pretty well, but now, having reached down further, it just seems like we don't have enough scoring. 

Kotalik is in a huge slump, Connelly isn't exactly slumping but is a bit quiet, Hecht has had a very unproductive year, and having lost Briere, Dumont and then Drury, we just aren't generating enough chances.  Maybe it's unfair to expect our team to keep absorbing these injury losses.  Either way, without Drury I don't see us being able to score more than 2 or (3 at the most) per game.  We just aren't going to get much offense out of the Gaustadt/Grier/Hecht and Mair/Paille/Pominville lines.  That's a lot of pressure to put on Miller and Marty.

Drury's injury worries me, as groin strains can get worse and/or hinder a player all year.  Briere and Dumont aren't back until after the olympics.  Pominville seems like a nice spare part who can pull his weight on the penalty kill and has a good point shot on the PP, but he's not a guy who can generate scoring chances.  Paille hasn't done anything.

Meanwhile, I've steadily become more and more comfortable with our defense.  Campbell has really stepped up this year and become pretty reliable in our end and a real weapon on offense.  Numminen has been pretty solid after a shaky start.  Tallinder is playing great.  With Kalinin back I think we have 6 legit NHL defensemen, plus Fitzie for depth if McKee or someone else gets hurt.  None of these guys are stars, but all are pretty competent.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we're going to trade Marty and/or anyone else, I'd rather get someone who can light the lamp -- like when we traded for Joey Juneau during the Dominik playoff run (although hopefully it won't be a short-term rental like that if we give up Marty).

Separately, I'm going to be pretty unhappy if the reports of no TV for the Phoenix game are true.

Go Sabres.

With all due respect, I disagree. Even if Kalinin and Tallinder play at the level we hope they will, that still only gives the Sabres 6 "good" defensemen and Fitzpatrick. Teppo will in all likelihood need to be spelled here and there down the stretch, if someone gets injured the Sabres are looking at either wearing Teppo out or bringing in Paetsch, Jillson, or Janik. Paetsch looked good in his ONE game but I do not like the idea of depending upon rookie defensemen come playoff time. The Sabres need at least one more solid defenseman.

Also, granted he doesn't do much to increase scoring, but Pyatt is close to coming back. Dumont will be back after the Olympics and he claims he will be ready in early February. I would not be surprised to see Briere back in mid-March if the Sabres are struggling. We don't know yet whether Drury's injury is serious or not, although I agree with you that groin injuries can definitely mess up a guy's season even when they aren't bad enough to keep the player out of the lineup.

There are only 14 games before the Olympic break. I don't believe the Sabres need to get an additional forward for such a short stretch of games.

With all due respect, I disagree. Even if Kalinin and Tallinder play at the level we hope they will, that still only gives the Sabres 6 "good" defensemen and Fitzpatrick. Teppo will in all likelihood need to be spelled here and there down the stretch, if someone gets injured the Sabres are looking at either wearing Teppo out or bringing in Paetsch, Jillson, or Janik. Paetsch looked good in his ONE game but I do not like the idea of depending upon rookie defensemen come playoff time. The Sabres need at least one more solid defenseman.

Also, granted he doesn't do much to increase scoring, but Pyatt is close to coming back. Dumont will be back after the Olympics and he claims he will be ready in early February. I would not be surprised to see Briere back in mid-March if the Sabres are struggling. We don't know yet whether Drury's injury is serious or not, although I agree with you that groin injuries can definitely mess up a guy's season even when they aren't bad enough to keep the player out of the lineup.

There are only 14 games before the Olympic break. I don't believe the Sabres need to get an additional forward for such a short stretch of games.

daveb, I can't disagree with anything you say. I would certainly like another defenseman. I also agree that we shouldn't panic for the 14 games before the olympics. For the 2nd half and the playoffs, thoug, I guess it comes down to what you would rather have if we can only obtain one: a good forward with scoring ability or another solid defenseman.

I don't think we can just assume that we will get Briere or Dumont back at 100%. For that matter, although I like Dumont, I don't think he adds that much in terms of creating scoring chances. Briere certainly does -- for my money he's our best forward, and I think it's amazing that we've done as well as we have without him. But how do we know he'll be back at 100%? Especially since he had his surgery a month after dumont did?

Also, I've just read that drury will play against Phoenix, so hopefully he'll be back at 100%, but I don't think we can be sure of that either. He's playing in the olympics, and we have a tough schedule after the olympics, and he's a small guy, so who knows?

If we get Briere, Drury, Dumont and Pyatt back 100%, you are absolutely right: let's get another defenseman and get fired up for the playoffs. But the trade deadline is March 9. It's quite possible that we won't know how healthy Briere is going to be at that point.

BTW, when Briere, Dumont and Pyatt get back, we are going to have some interesting roster decisions to make. Clearly Paille will go back down, but I don't think either Roy or Pominville can get sent down without going through waivers. I also think we can't just make 5 guys healthy scratches. Briere and Dumont will both be playing. Based on his play before he got hurt, I think Pyatt will also force his way into the rotation, probably at the expense of Pominville.

Bonus item: I just listened to Lindy's press conference today and he referred to Lydman as our most reliable defenseman. I thought that was interesting.

Go Sabres.

daveb, I can't disagree with anything you say.? I would certainly like another defenseman.? I also agree that we shouldn't panic for the 14 games before the olympics.? For the 2nd half and the playoffs, thoug, I guess it comes down to what you would rather have if we can only obtain one:? a good forward with scoring ability or another solid defenseman.?

I don't think we can just assume that we will get Briere or Dumont back at 100%.? For that matter, although I like Dumont, I don't think he adds that much in terms of creating scoring chances.? Briere certainly does -- for my money he's our best forward, and I think it's amazing that we've done as well as we have without him.? But how do we know he'll be back at 100%?? Especially since he had his surgery a month after dumont did?

Also, I've just read that drury will play against Phoenix, so hopefully he'll be back at 100%, but I don't think we can be sure of that either.? He's playing in the olympics, and we have a tough schedule after the olympics, and he's a small guy, so who knows?

If we get Briere, Drury, Dumont and Pyatt back 100%, you are absolutely right:? let's get another defenseman and get fired up for the playoffs.? But the trade deadline is March 9.? It's quite possible that we won't know how healthy Briere is going to be at that point.?

BTW, when Briere, Dumont and Pyatt get back, we are going to have some interesting roster decisions to make.? Clearly Paille will go back down, but I don't think either Roy or Pominville can get sent down without going through waivers.? I also think we can't just make 5 guys healthy scratches.? Briere and Dumont will both be playing.? Based on his play before he got hurt, I think Pyatt will also force his way into the rotation, probably at the expense of Pominville.?

Bonus item:? I just listened to Lindy's press conference today and he referred to Lydman as our most reliable defenseman.? I thought that was interesting.

Go Sabres.

One thing to throw into the mix on this is why are we limiting the discussion to the Sabres only picking up 1 player? Perhaps it does become Biron in a package for a forward such as Morrison and then a combination of youth (read Amerk(s)) and a draft pick for an established defenseman such as Aucoin.

If only one is acquired, I'd still expect to see the Sabres targeting a D-man.

Roy didn't have to clear waivers to get sent down to Rochester earlier this year but Pominville did have to clear in October. Roy's status hasn't changed but Pominville has played in too many games to not have to go through waivers again.

You are correct that the limit is 23 active players, so when players start coming back the Sabres will have to make some moves. The 1st 2 moves are easy: send Paille down and then send Peters down. After that, if a goalie hasn't been moved the Sabres will probably have to send Roy down as I believe he, Vanek, and Miller are the only 3 "regulars" that don't have to clear waivers to go down.

You are correct that the limit is 23 active players, so when players start coming back the Sabres will have to make some moves. The 1st 2 moves are easy: send Paille down and then send Peters down. After that, if a goalie hasn't been moved the Sabres will probably have to send Roy down as I believe he, Vanek, and Miller are the only 3 "regulars" that don't have to clear waivers to go down.

The roster limit is removed after the trade deadline (40 days prior to the conclusion of the regular season, roughly the beginning of March). In all likelyhood, our moves will be on the deadline day anyway. Roster limitations will likely not be a problem.

The roster limit is removed after the trade deadline (40 days prior to the conclusion of the regular season, roughly the beginning of March). In all likelyhood, our moves will be on the deadline day anyway. Roster limitations will likely not be a problem.

How would it effect the cap?

I don't think the Sabres would carry a bunch of extra players on the roster. If for no other reason then paying players the NHL rate of a two way contract.

Good point. That is how it has worked in the past.

Do you know how many waiverless transactions a team will be allowed post-trade deadline? IIRC, it used to be 5 but that was when the trade deadline was about 4 weeks before the end of the season.

Good point. That is how it has worked in the past.

Do you know how many waiverless transactions a team will be allowed post-trade deadline? IIRC, it used to be 5 but that was when the trade deadline was about 4 weeks before the end of the season.

Ok, I completely missed the boat on this one, so flame away, but :

Did they move the deadline??

DeLuca- I'm under the impression that the 23 highest paid players are the only ones that count for the cap figure. We have so many players that are at or very close to the league minimum that it's cap effect would be insignificant. Remember, we're penny pinching not because we're afraid to lose money, but because to be (anywhere near) profitable we need to get revenue sharing money. The 2-3 million extra pales in comparison to the revenue that a long playoff run (aided by deadline acquisitions) would provide.

Dave- I haven't seen anything to indicate it would be changed. Logically, they would perhaps add another free move or two and ideally they would drop it all together.

Archived