Who's better?

deluca67

As good a year as Briere is having, Vanek seems to be keeping pace. You could say Vanek has better numbers

while Vanek plays three less minutes a game.

As far a being clutch? Briere has 3 GW and 2 OT goals compared to Vanek's 2 GW and 1 OT goal.

I will even argue that Vanek is a better play maker. And he is much better this season in the defensive zone. Ruff used Vanek to check Jagr. Which shows a lot of confidence.

Any thoughts.

Before this season, I would have laughed at this question. Now a serious argument can be made. For me, Vanek's ceiling is way higher than Briere's at this point. While Danny seems to be able to put up 100 points, Vanek looks like a sniper of ridiculous sorts. I don't want to sound crazy, but I think Vanek is capable of 50/100 while I see Briere as more of a set up guy with numbers like 35/100 IF he can stay healthy.

It depends on your definition of "better". I believe that Vanek is showing that he is going to be an elite sniper and an all around allstar. I expect that Vanek ends up in the Lafluer/Bossy category as a goal scorer. Briere is very good, and capable of all star seasons but I agree with Inkman - over the long haul expect 35/90 from Briere and 50/100 from Vanek. Vaneks size is also a defensive advantage over Briere.

Interesting question, DeLuca. I think that Briere is a significantly better playmaker. Vanek seems like he's really good in traffic around the net -- both scoring and passing (like his two setups vs. the Rangers) -- but just doesn't seem to be able to make the sweet setup on the 2-on-1. ie he doesn't anticipate and pass into the "flowing" game nearly as well as Briere. Of course, it's quite possible that Vanek will add that piece next year and lock himself into the all-star game every year.

On the other hand, he seems fully capable of scoring 50+ goals, which might make him more valuable to the team. This begs the question: If Briere's ceiling is 37-80-117, and Vanek's is 57-47-104, who is more valuable?

throw into the mix: (i) Vanek already seems like he's at least as good in the defensive zone as Briere is and (ii) Briere to this point is more clutch and more of a leader. Now you have a real conundrum.

Perhaps we'll get some more insight on this tonight?

Go Sabres.

right now it's got to be Briere.

Offensively they're equal.

Defensively I'd say Vanek has got a step up on Briere.

But the intangibles sway me to Briere's side.

I don't think Vanek brings that fiery passion. I'm not saying he isn't passionate, it's just not outwardly expressed a lot like Danny. I think that balance with Drury is something that really benefits our team.

Plus, you couldn't make Vanek a captain right now. You couldn't even give him the A.

The better question is, when is Vanek eligible for arbitration? I know his 3 year contract is done at the end of this year. After what happened with Briere in arbitration, I don't want to see Vanek anywhere near an arbitrator especially if he keeps up this pace.

PS To answer your question...Briere is the better player.

As much as I like the state of Vanek's game right now, this isn't even close. You have to sustain a high level of play for more than 24 games to equate them. Maybe in time, but Briere just seems to be there at the right time.

Lindy trusts him in all the big moments.

Besides I'm still not over that Montreal game when he could have won it for us. He broke in and waited too long to shoot on Huet. Huet drifted with and ultimately blocked it. Vanek slammed his stick as he was leaving the ice. He knew it. He had the game on his blade and tried to get too fancy.

But having said that, he is quite a talent and he is only going to get better IMO.

As much as I like the state of Vanek's game right now, this isn't even close. You have to sustain a high level of play for more than 24 games to equate them. Maybe in time, but Briere just seems to be there at the right time.

Lindy trusts him in all the big moments.

Besides I'm still not over that Montreal game when he could have won it for us. He broke in and waited too long to shoot on Huet. Huet drifted with and ultimately blocked it. Vanek slammed his stick as he was leaving the ice. He knew it. He had the game on his blade and tried to get too fancy.

But having said that, he is quite a talent and he is only going to get better IMO.

Eh, Huet is a tough goalie to beat. Maybe he thought he needed that extra move.

Right now I think Danny better, but I think Vanek has some more room to develop.

Offensively they're equal.

Defensively I'd say Vanek has got a step up on Briere.

But the intangibles sway me to Briere's side.

I don't think Vanek brings that fiery passion. I'm not saying he isn't passionate, it's just not outwardly expressed a lot like Danny. I think that balance with Drury is something that really benefits our team.

Plus, you couldn't make Vanek a captain right now. You couldn't even give him the A.

If I was picking sides, I'd rather have Vanek on my team than Briere. I think he's a more powerful weapon, and will only get better.

That said, I can't see Vanek as a leader. He has all the potential to be great, except that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Vanek as being a Captain at any point in his career.

Briere is definitely the all-around better player right now. He got that leadership ability and the intangibles that Vanek doesnt have quite yet. But Vanek will gain them with more time and experience. From the looks of things, Vanek will be better in 2-3 years. I still hope we have both then.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

Briere is definitely the all-around better player right now. He got that leadership ability and the intangibles that Vanek doesnt have quite yet. But Vanek will gain them with more time and experience. From the looks of things, Vanek will be better in 2-3 years. I still hope we have both then.

I agree 100% on the "intangibles" part of vaneks game. But Lindy didn't send Briere out to hound Jagr. He sent Vanek.

I think if the Sabres were up a goal with 30 seconds left and a faceoff in the Sabres zone I would feel more comfortable with Vanek on the ice then I would with Briere. That to me is more impressive then the 16 goals. 16 goals and a +16 in 24 games tells me that Vanek "gets it". He knows how to get on Lindy's good side by playing both ends of the ice.

Briere's play in his own end fuels my B-Rod rants. I think a $5 million player needs to be a force at both ends of the ice. I really don't have much respect for his defensive game.

Archived