Vanek Interview in Austrian Newspaper

Two or less

I saw this posted on another message board by Austrian guy "MrRuin". I thought i'd share it, some cool stuff in this interview, some stupid, but i know some people, like Mr. Christopher would really like this, hahaha... so i figured i'd post it. Good read.

Thomas Vanek: Being a little bit of a star

Austrian NHL hockey export Thomas Vanek (22) talking about Superstars, advertising dreams (?) and his status as exotic player and fan favorite.

Goals, Points, +/- - wherever you look you are near the top. Did you expect that?

TV: You cannot expect that, at best you can hope for it to happen. But when it happens it is of course nice. And I wouldnt mind if it would be like this at the end of the season.

What are your trademarks(?)? Do you have strong points (in your game) that others are missing (from their game)?

TV: I do not think about that, that is something experts and analysts can judge. That my strong points are in the offensive game is no secret. But I do not want to compare myself with other players.

Still you are amongst the great. Do you feel like a star yourself?

TV: No vertainly no. Real stars play on the highest level for years already - for me this is currently just snapshot. The season is long and we only played 24 games so far. If I am still near the top at the end of the season, then maybe Im a little bit more a star than right now.

Do superstars like Jaromir Jagr know Thomas Vanek by now?

TV: You will have to ask Jaromir Jagr that question. Seriously though, there is rarely any "patting on the back" (paying respect) from opponents, there rarely is even time for it. If there is then from older collegues in your team - if you run circles around a great player they will most likely not pass on their respect too (if that makes any sense). Last year I got a stick from Mario Lemieux, not from himself, but from the equipment manager.

Have you been invited to TV-Talk-Shows or the radio yet?

TV: I have been on the radio a few times and there have been inquires from TV stations too. But we play almost every other day there is little time for this.

Are there any offers from companies who want to do commercials with you (sponsoring, making adds)?

TV: Reebok has offered me a personal equipment contract but I have declined. I am playing with different sticks and I didnt want to change. There have been no inquries for commercials on TV. Too bad, Id love to that some time.

Do you have a nickname in the US media? Basketball-Star Dirk Nowitzki is often called "German Wunderkind"...

TV: There has been a lot of coverage about me because as austrian I am a bit of a hockey stranger (exot). But nickname? No. You have to work for that and I have not nearly accomplished as much as a Dirk Nowitzki has.

Are you a fan favorite?

TV: I prefer it if the fans are cheering on the complete team. But every now and then there are signs with my name on it in the arena so yes, maybe a little. In general the sabres are very popular

because of their success at the moment. I cannot go anywhere without giving signatures.

Can you buy a lot of TV fan apparel?

TV: Jerseys, T-shirts, pucks, mugs, everything possible - thats america.

At the end of the season your contract with with Buffalo ends. What will happen then?

TV: Then we will have new contract talks. Until 27 I am only allowed to talk to Buffalo except if they would want to trade me. But I do not want to leave, I can still accomplish a lot here.

What about a financial improvement? With barely 1 million dollar a year you are amongst the low-income players.

TV: I hope so, but that is not my main concern. When you are plying well this will happen by itself.

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/eishockey/276791/index.do

At the end of the season your contract with with Buffalo ends. What will happen then?

TV: Then we will have new contract talks. Until 27 I am only allowed to talk to Buffalo except if they would want to trade me. But I do not want to leave, I can still accomplish a lot here.

What about a financial improvement? With barely 1 million dollar a year you are amongst the low-income players.

TV: I hope so, but that is not my main concern. When you are plying well this will happen by itself.

Best. Answers. Ever.

here is the second article I translated:

source http://www.oe24.at/zeitung/sport/eishockey/article60829.ece

Buffalo, 21. November 2006

?STERREICH asked the coach, players and experts in Buffalo about the phenomenon Vanek. Plus: Vote Vanek for the All-Star-Team!

A week ago nominations for the NHL All-Star-Game have been released. Six Buffalo players have been nominated. Thomas Vanek, who leads the sabres in goals scored and is third in the league, is not included. Some media has reported that there is not chance for him to be voted to the game.

<some more pointless talk about how to write him in, not worth the translation>

"He has what it takes to become a great player"

?STERREICH has visited the NHL-Shooting-Star in Buffalo and has also talked to his teammates. Here you can read what coach Lindy Ruff, goalie Ryan Miller & co say about austrias superstar.

Lindy Ruff (headcoach)

"Thomas has a ton of talent. But he also knows that he has to work to improve his game. He has worked very hard on his overall game and he has improved even on the penalty kill. When I gave other players a chance in the playoffs last year he was disappointed, but he has taken up the challenge (accepted the consequences) and has come back much improved after the summer. That is exactly what players do to become great players."

Derek Roy (Center)

"We have known and liked each other well since our time in Rochester. Thomas is somebody who you can have dinner with in a relaxed atmosphere. On the ice he has improved a lot - if he wants to accomplish something, he will put all his mind on it. This way he is a real idol!"

Jochen Hecht (LW)

"We have already had a lot of fun as roomates. On the ice he is ready to take responsibility, something you cannot expect from a 22 year old. Thomas has good hands, good vision and good coordination. Add to that special scoring qualities: He deflects pucks in front of the net and surprises defenders and goalies."

Paul Gaustad (Center)

"Thomas is a big talent and I think he will still improve greatly, which is not easy to do on the level he is already playing at."

Maxim Afinogenow (RW)

"Thomas has a phantastic anticipation, we understand each other blindly. Its a joy to play on a line with him." (haha how times change)

Ales Kotalik (RW)

"During my move he let me live at his place for two months - I value Thomas as a relaxed friend and player. Right now he is doing all the right things - he will have a great season."

Ryan Miller (Goalie)

"Thomas has learned to keep his emotions in check. Moreover, he has improved his skating and lately spent a lot of time working on his strength. He is creative and has a golden hand with which he skates circles around you (?). He is not the type you like to face as a goalie."

Adam Begnini (Buffalo-Expert at NBC)

"Vanek has first made an impression on me 4 years ago when he won the NCAA championship with the university of Minnesota. Last year he was burned out at the end of the season, he seemed lost on the ice in the playoffs. After that he must have worked very hard on himself: Over the summer he has become much fitter, lost weight and gained confidence. For me he is one of the most complete players: He is a force with his size, his speed and his stick handling skills. A player Buffalo cant afford to miss."

Knut Okresek (Buffalo) und Christian Schleifer/?STERREICH

thanks for those articles. they sound like year-end performance reviews that we get here in the office, but i'm sure the translating wasn't a walk in the park.

this kid is going to excede a lot of expectations a lot sooner than folks anticipated. it's going to be fun to sit back and watch it all happen (or at least read about it each morning).

Thanks for the translating! My oldest daughter made a poster last year for Vanek and had "Vanek for rookie of the year" written in German. The smile on his face when she got him to sign it at the open practice was priceless.

he is a very nice guy. My friends met him in Graz in summer when he was home to visit friends and family. He was hanging out at a local bar having a few drinks (hey, its his off time!), they approached him, talked to him and had a drink with him too and then asked for his signature. Since I wasnt there, they asked him to dedicate it to me and afterwards framed it and gave it to me on my birthday. I was very honored to get such a nice present from my friends and much more honored to have him dedicate it to me :) It is now hanging on my wall.

he is a very nice guy. My friends met him in Graz in summer when he was home to visit friends and family. He was hanging out at a local bar having a few drinks (hey, its his off time!), they approached him, talked to him and had a drink with him too and then asked for his signature. Since I wasnt there, they asked him to dedicate it to me and afterwards framed it and gave it to me on my birthday. I was very honored to get such a nice present from my friends and much more honored to have him dedicate it to me :) It is now hanging on my wall.

haha nice!!

And yeah i also think it's real cool to have a guy from Austria post on our message board!

Mr Ruin, since you speak German, I have a question for you.

This is probably pretty childish and embarrassing, but can you translate the following (taken from RetroJunk)?

Hey, jetzt kommen die Hero-Turtles

superstarke Hero-Turtles

jeder kennt die Hero-Turtles

immer auf der Lauer

Sie sind echt ein ultrahei?es Team

na logo

wenn sie gegen Angst und Schrecken ziehn'

ist doch Ehrensache

und sieht's f?r dich mal finster aus

die Turtle-Jungs hol'n dich da raus

Jeder kennt die Hero-Turtles

superstarke Hero-Turtles

Rafael kommt cool, Michelangelo geht ran

Da fliegt Dir doch das Blech weg

Leonardo k?mpft nach Donatellos Plan

auf die schnelle immmer helle

Und wirds auch manchmal knapp

die Turtle-Jungs machen niemals schlapp

Hey, jetzt kommen die Hero-Turtles

jeder kennt die Hero-Turtles,

megastarke Hero-Turtles

immer auf der Lauer und immer etwas schlauer

no :)

babbelfish did a great job though!

Hey, now come the Hero Turtles

super+strong Hero Turtles

of everyone know the Hero Turtles

on the Lauer

you are always genuinly an ultrahot team

well logo

ikf them against fear and fright ziehn '

are nevertheless honour thing

and sieht's for you times darkly

from the Turtle Jungs hol'n you raus

everyone know the Hero Turtles

super+strong Hero Turtles

Rafael there come cool, Michelangelo go ran

fly you the sheet metal there away

Leonardo fight nevertheless to Donatellos plan

on the fast more immmer bright

and wirds scarcely

the Turtle Jungs to make also sometimes never schlapp

Hey, now come the Hero Turtles of

everyone know the Hero Turtles,

mega+strong Hero Turtles

ever on the Lauer

and always somewhat more smartly

And it was a good one. Always wanted to use it.

Lloyd: That's a lovely accent you have...New Jersey?

Woman at bus stop: Austria

Lloyd: Austria?! Well 'er... Good day mate! Let's put another, shrimp on the barbi!

Woman at bus stop: Let's not.

Archived