Sabre Trade Rumors

inkman

I wonder what the deal would be for Biron.

I read about the Seabrook deal on the Sabres.com message board (boredom some times drives me there) and it sounds decent cause it frees up some cap space for future improvements/injury call ups. The Sabres aren't just running out of cap room, they are also running out of roster space for their players and holding some of the young ones back in Rochester right now. Definitly sounds lika a good deal considering I have only heard good things about Seabrook and he is really young right now.

I don't know what they could get in Phoenix for Biron, but I did read that Phoenis is looking at trading Jovonaski for one of SJ's goalies so I'm guessing a Biron deal will only happen if that falls through.

As much as no one wants it to happen, some deals will have to be made to free up some space on this team.

Seabrook for Kotalik is a no-brainer for the Sabres, I do not see why the Hawks would do that. The keep complaining how they need a center, how does Kotalik help? I'm not saying he wouldn't crack their lineup, he'd be on their top 2 lines, but to give up a young defenseman like Seabrook, you have to get more than that. I have to believe they could get more on the open market.

Seabrook for Kotalik is a no-brainer for the Sabres, I do not see why the Hawks would do that. The keep complaining how they need a center, how does Kotalik help? I'm not saying he wouldn't crack their lineup, he'd be on their top 2 lines, but to give up a young defenseman like Seabrook, you have to get more than that. I have to believe they could get more on the open market.

This doesn't happen. But you can see why Chicago is shopping. They aren't getting much gate in Chicago.

I can only think that Zagrapan, a center, or Ryan would be included in such a deal. It sounds like a steep price to pay but we have a ton of depth at forward and a move like this could help free up $$$$ next year for Drury and Briere. :D

I agree Ink, I just don't think those kids help Chicago NOW ...

Since the odds of any of this happening are about zero, how about THIS scenario ...

The Seabrook rumor came from HockeyBuzz, so here's another one from there that maybe we combine with it ...

Eklund said that Chicago was considering sending Khabibulin down so that when they tried to bring him back up through waivers, someone would bite at him for half his salary (Chicago would have to pay the other half ...)

SO ....

What if Chicago got rid of Khabibulin that way and took Biron off the Sabres hands in exchange for Boucher ... That would clear a TON of cap space, plus then if Teppo retires, Seabrook steps in ... more space ... maybe they really try to keep Drury and Briere.

And yes, this is SO far fetched I think someone spiked my lunch with crack ...

That deal is so beyond ridiculous. That's right up there with the one from the Biron for Bowemeister (yeah, I can't spell) deal from the offseason. Why would any team even consider it? It would take a hell of a lot more than a Mike Ryan throw in to make that deal happen.

I know ... thing is, I don't see why Chicago would panic and deal Seabrook to anyone ... once Havlat is healthy, they are decent up front, and they are saying he is like a week away ... they are solid in goal, Seabrook is a guy you can build around on defense ... I know they are not drawing, but they haven't drawn well for years, they don't even have a home game until next week with Havlat probably back ... why not stay the course and build it right?

I know ... thing is, I don't see why Chicago would panic and deal Seabrook to anyone ... once Havlat is healthy, they are decent up front, and they are saying he is like a week away ... they are solid in goal, Seabrook is a guy you can build around on defense ... I know they are not drawing, but they haven't drawn well for years, they don't even have a home game until next week with Havlat probably back ... why not stay the course and build it right?

MAybe their management sucks and they aren't dumb?

the problem is, in the salary cap days, you need a couple guys on the roster who aren't making much, so you may need to dump a player because of salary restriction.

The problem is, Peters makes less then most of the guys coming up from Rochestor so to keep them up it will cost the team more and they can't afford more salary right now

Archived