How can a team this good..

Enforcer Kelley

Things that pissed me off last night:

Anyone else notice with about 3-4 mins left in the 3rd, that Peters got a shift on the ice? Apparently, down 2 goals with that kind of time left, we weren't interested in tying the score. What the hell is Ruff thinking?

How is that Miller can prod a guy in the back of the head and get 2 mins.. but Hecht can nearly have his head taken off at center ice, and no one blinks an eye? Unbelievable.

One other thing.. this team better learn to shoot while on the PP. Too much friggin' passing the puck around, and not enough movement by guys without the puck.

nobody notices when bad teams play bad, but great teams can really suck sometimes... as marv once said, its not about the big play, game, or adversity, its how you respond to it. hopefully the sabres can respond on monday.

Ya, its a long season and we have not even reached the 1/4 mark yet. They looked mentally tired out there. Making dumb plays, fumbling the puck, turn overs. To be expected, can't stay way up at the top all the time, especially when every team is gunning for you.

Things that pissed me off last night:

Anyone else notice with about 3-4 mins left in the 3rd, that Peters got a shift on the ice? Apparently, down 2 goals with that kind of time left, we weren't interested in tying the score. What the hell is Ruff thinking?

How is that Miller can prod a guy in the back of the head and get 2 mins.. but Hecht can nearly have his head taken off at center ice, and no one blinks an eye? Unbelievable.

One other thing.. this team better learn to shoot while on the PP. Too much friggin' passing the puck around, and not enough movement by guys without the puck.

Not going to disagree with any of your points, but rather offer a slight correction - Miller didn't get a penalty in that sequence. Paetsch got 2 for roughing, and the Sabres were tagged for too many men. (Boxscore)

nobody notices when bad teams play bad, but great teams can really suck sometimes... as marv once said, its not about the big play, game, or adversity, its how you respond to it. hopefully the sabres can respond on monday.

They'd better respond; I'm gonna be there!

Not going to disagree with any of your points, but rather offer a slight correction - Miller didn't get a penalty in that sequence. Paetsch got 2 for roughing, and the Sabres were tagged for too many men. (Boxscore)

there was also nothing wrong with the hit on hecht. replay it a couple of times and he doesn't hit him high - it only looks that way b/c his arms are up in the air after the check.

There is a simple answer to this. There are 82 games in a season. There are going to be bumps in the road. There are going to be off nights. There will be stretches of games where they don't look good.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. It's a long season, and there will be more games like this. The reason this team is so good is because there have been so few bad games played by them so far. Makes a game like this stand out even more IMO

I will agree with the general tone here, that Saturday night's game was one of 82, however it was painfully obvious that the Sabres become a completely different team when they don't have their legs.

Last season I felt you could always tell how the Sabres were playing by looking at their passing. Nights that the passes were hitting tape was always a telling sign that they boys were "ON".

I'm not sure if there's a tell-tale sign yet this season (simply because they've done so well coming from behind, rallying from 2-goal defecits and have also blown leads a few times), but it was pretty clear that they didn't have their skating legs after the 1st period. They stopped winning battles along the boards, and didn't get to loose pucks as often.

Finally, do you think that they miss Scotty Arniel at all? Our special teams, which were SOOOO good last year, have looked slightly better than average this season. Is it execution, or the system? Thoughts?

Finally, do you think that they miss Scotty Arniel at all? Our special teams, which were SOOOO good last year, have looked slightly better than average this season. Is it execution, or the system? Thoughts?

I have wondered about that. Last year they seemed to have signature patience - and Kotalik and Pomminstein went on a stretch where one of them was potting one on the PP every night with a point shot which really opened up the ice. Not having Dumont or Connelley means there is more Spacek and Gaustad - determined guys, but not really an upgrade. The big difference this year are the 5x5 goals. Last year the PP was the bread and butter, but not the 5x5. T I always like Arniel, but having a d-man as assistant coach has its own advantages.

don't forget the 5-0 thrashing they took at the hands of the sharks. There will be bad games, and as frustrated as i was watching the game saturday night, most of it came because of how spoiled I have become watching this team this year. They are so good and it is so unexpected when they don't come out with solid legs. In years past I wouldn't have been that upset but i guess they have kinda set the bar high so far this year. So when they look bad it stings more than it should.

Just my take on it.

Archived