Winterizing my pickup truck

Bmwolf21

Question for any pickup truck owners who deal with WNY or northern winters (i.e., snow and ice)...

So I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x2 (RWD) pickup, which I bought while we still lived in Florida. This is the first pickup I've owned, so obviously this is the first winter I'll endure with it. I've gotten new tires put on and had a Rhino Liner sprayed on last week; aside from adding some weight to the bed, is there anything else I am missing? My buddy mentioned Home Depot selling tube sand in 60lb tubes - how much should weight should I add to help maintain traction?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I had an '89 Dakota 4x2. It was a piece of junk, but that doesn't answer your question. You will wish you had a 4x4, regardless of what you do. My wife had a Ranger 4x2 that was a little better in the the snow than the Dakota, but that wasn't saying much.

With that said, here is what I suggest.

1. Buy a landscape timber, and cut it so that it fits crossway in the notches (assuming it has them) toward the back. My wife used two of those HD bags of sand, placed between the timber and the tailgate.

2. My wife/girlfriend had skinny tires on the Ranger. I did not have skinny tires on my Dakota, I thought about getting them right before the Dakota was totaled. I think that the smaller tire width helped her traction.

You want to know what to keep in the back of your truck? How 'bout a variety of shovels.

BTW, you think you got it bad in the Buff for winter? Come live in Saskatchewan for a winter...I triple dare you. I'll even give you a job to keep you busy.

You'll think Buffalo is freakin' Mexico by the time you're done here.

You want to know what to keep in the back of your truck? How 'bout a variety of shovels.

BTW, you think you got it bad in the Buff for winter? Come live in Saskatchewan for a winter...I triple dare you. I'll even give you a job to keep you busy.

You'll think Buffalo is freakin' Mexico by the time you're done here.

:) :) Yeah, but I bet your two-week summer is the envy of everybody. :) :)

Question for any pickup truck owners who deal with WNY or northern winters (i.e., snow and ice)...

So I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x2 (RWD) pickup, which I bought while we still lived in Florida. This is the first pickup I've owned, so obviously this is the first winter I'll endure with it. I've gotten new tires put on and had a Rhino Liner sprayed on last week; aside from adding some weight to the bed, is there anything else I am missing? My buddy mentioned Home Depot selling tube sand in 60lb tubes - how much should weight should I add to help maintain traction?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I own a 98 Dakota single cab 2wd pickup, I bought it a couple days into January so I had a bit of winter experience with it last year. Definitly get it oil sprayed underneath, the salt will just rot the truck if you don't Last year I went out and bought 4 of the concrete Patio stones from a local lumber yard and had them in the back, just make sure you secure them really good, you don't want them flying around in case of an accident. I had them ratchet strapped together and to the bed of the truck. It worked pretty good, didn't have much of a traction problem (my truck also has the manual tranny) I might get another 2 this year just for a little more weight, but I found it worked well with just 4 last year.

Although I must ask, what is a 4x2 exactly? I have 4x4's and i wheel them, but can never figure out what a 4x2 is? Is it 4 wheel drive with only 2 different gears in the transfer case? (2wd and 4wd? unlike the 4x4 that usually has 2wd, 4HI, Neutral, 4L?)

4x2 is just generic term for 2WD - I don't think it has any connotations towards the gears, transfer case, anything. I started using that term when I worked at a Toyota dealership in Florida. Talking 4x4 and 4x2 with people who have never driven in snow is funny, too - had a lot of arguments with otherwise smart people about how much 4WD helps you on ice.

I saw this thing online, and I may give this a try, since it looks like it secures pretty easily, distributes the weight a little more evenly, doesn't clutter up the bed, and can be removed when needed. Shur Trax:

A safer alternative to add traction weight to your vehicle

From spring rains to winter snow, ShurTrax all weather traction products provide you with improved handling and control year round. You can add up to 400 lbs. of additional weight to your vehicle ensuring a safer and smoother ride for all road conditions. Our no hassle traction weight products come with a nozzle that attaches to your garden hose allowing you to fill it with water after you have placed it in the back of your vehicle. You can continue your daily activities including hauling items in your truck bed or car trunk since your ShurTrax can withstand up to 500 lbs. of weight.

4x2 is just generic term for 2WD - I don't think it has any connotations towards the gears, transfer case, anything. I started using that term when I worked at a Toyota dealership in Florida. Talking 4x4 and 4x2 with people who have never driven in snow is funny, too - had a lot of arguments with otherwise smart people about how much 4WD helps you on ice.

I saw this thing online, and I may give this a try, since it looks like it secures pretty easily, distributes the weight a little more evenly, doesn't clutter up the bed, and can be removed when needed. Shur Trax:

A safer alternative to add traction weight to your vehicle

From spring rains to winter snow, ShurTrax all weather traction products provide you with improved handling and control year round. You can add up to 400 lbs. of additional weight to your vehicle ensuring a safer and smoother ride for all road conditions. Our no hassle traction weight products come with a nozzle that attaches to your garden hose allowing you to fill it with water after you have placed it in the back of your vehicle. You can continue your daily activities including hauling items in your truck bed or car trunk since your ShurTrax can withstand up to 500 lbs. of weight.

I've heard of that sure trax thing before too and it sounds like a good idea

As for the 4x2, I thought I read somewhere there is a difference between 4x2 and just 2wd.

4wd doesn't help you much on ice, I know that first hand. It is more for snow then driving on ice (it does help but not much, driving on ice depends more on the tires then 4wd) I've driven a couple 4x4's before (an 85 s-10 Jimmy, an 87 Toyota pickup, and my favorite a 90 Jeep YJ) Around this area, where we get harsh winters with snow and ice, you can't beat having a 4x4. I can't wait til I have my jeep finished (I am currently rebuilding it) and get to drive it again

Only problem I have with the Shur Trax thing is that I live in an apartment, so I am not sure where I would fill it up - going to a friend's house for a couple gallons in one thing, but almost 20 gallons to get it up to the 200-lb mark might be pushing it. I do like that it can be drained and stored flat in the spring and summer, though - I still don't know what I'll do with a couple hundred pounds of sand after winter's over.

About 4WD on snow vs. on ice - that was pretty much what I was trying to explain to people down south - driving in snow, 4WD is great to have, but on ice, doesn't really help much. (FWIW, the only definition I found online was here.)

I love the Dakota I bought, but it wasn't my first choice - it was actually my third. I was looking for a double-cab Tacoma, 2000-05 model with decent miles and a decent price, but we looked for 3 months and only came across two in the Orlando area - and both were still well out of my price range. The V6 Tundra was my second choice, but all I kept finding were late model V8's with high price tags, and leasing a new one wasn't an option b/c we were pretty sure we would be moving out of state.

About 4WD on snow vs. on ice - that was pretty much what I was trying to explain to people down south - driving in snow, 4WD is great to have, but on ice, doesn't really help much.

It does help in situations on ice, especially if the ice is patchy. You have twice the surface area. Usually not enough, however when stopping. I have a driveway that rises about 30 ft from the house to the road, with a curve at the base of the hill. 4WD helps with the traction on the curve. Audi's AWD for example is all about being able to take corners faster, not off road capability.

BTW, I hope you have a better experience than I had with my Dakota.

I love the Dakota I bought, but it wasn't my first choice - it was actually my third. I was looking for a double-cab Tacoma, 2000-05 model with decent miles and a decent price, but we looked for 3 months and only came across two in the Orlando area - and both were still well out of my price range. The V6 Tundra was my second choice, but all I kept finding were late model V8's with high price tags, and leasing a new one wasn't an option b/c we were pretty sure we would be moving out of state.

Thats exactly the same as me. I owned a 90 Jeep YJ (Wrangler for those not familiar with the CJ/YJ/TJ naming, I think in the States they don't refer to them as much by the letter naming) and the motor died twice in it, I was still paying it off (I was ripped off badly when I bought it) and I loved it so I still have it and am rebuilding it (one of my hobbies) so I had to drive another car I picked up from a friend really cheap and fixed up. I had it on the road but really wanted and needed a truck so I bought a 87 Toyota pickup off a friend and decided to use that (need some body work, but it was in decent shape and the 22R motor is supposed to live forever). When trying to get it safetied, I killed the motor in it when i spun a crank bearing so I swapt the motor and got it back on the road. I drove it for a few months and started having more engine problems and decided to just get rid of it and buy something better because I needed something that wasn't going to leave me stranded for work. (It looked good though, 33" tires, roll bar in the back with some offroad lights)

I started looking around christmas since I had the week off of work and after meeting with the bank they approved me for a loan to get a new vehicle. What I wanted was a fullsize truck with a v8, extended cab, and 4wd. Something big enough to do work around the house with, and tow my jeep to trails and back if it breaks down. While looking, everything in my price range was either high mileage, or older that fit my criteria. I went to one dealership and I saw a 98 Dakota that I started to look at. The body was in great shape, the interior was nice and the price was low so I madea note of it and kept looking. I went back the next day to look again and I asked the dealer about it, he asked if I wanted to take it for a test drive so I said sure, got the keys, found out it only had about 90k miles on it. I drove it around the area of the dealership and I was sold on it, even though it was not a fullsize with the v8 and 4wd. It is a nice truck, looks good, and I have not had a problem with it, I will definitly keep this one for a while

Any scientific proof to the theory of adding weight to the back of the vehicle? Don't jump on me for being stupid but I've had all types of vehicles experience traction problems in snow when driving in 2WD regardless of how big they are, how much they weigh or how loaded down they are.

To me, 4WD is the only thing that makes a difference. I drive a Suburban now (always drove Jeeps growing up in the Finger Lakes) and it's amazing what a change there is when you switch to 4x4 - we had our only taste of snow last year while visiting Buffalo between Christmas & New Years for the Atlanta game and I was sliding all over in my Dad's Suburban until I engaged the 4WD.

Luckily we don't get too much snow here in Texas and then the big trick is to avoid getting hit by the "native" drivers who totally freak out and actually drive faster and more reckless (theory being I guess that it's better to get there quicker so you don't have to drive in the bad stuff any longer than necessary!).

Anyway, I guess having some weight is better than nothing and the sand can come in handy when you get stuck. Ice is ice and your SOL if you hit it and hit the breaks - best to try and sled down those hills and ease off the accelerator around corners.

BTW - is it popular in Buff to take the car out to the empty parking lot when it snows and see just how out of control you get manuveuring in the snow? At least that's what we did in high school - didn't work so well on the back roads when you'd be pushing the car out of the ditch (hopefully).

Any scientific proof to the theory of adding weight to the back of the vehicle? Don't jump on me for being stupid but I've had all types of vehicles experience traction problems in snow when driving in 2WD regardless of how big they are, how much they weigh or how loaded down they are.

To me, 4WD is the only thing that makes a difference. I drive a Suburban now (always drove Jeeps growing up in the Finger Lakes) and it's amazing what a change there is when you switch to 4x4 - we had our only taste of snow last year while visiting Buffalo between Christmas & New Years for the Atlanta game and I was sliding all over in my Dad's Suburban until I engaged the 4WD.

Luckily we don't get too much snow here in Texas and then the big trick is to avoid getting hit by the "native" drivers who totally freak out and actually drive faster and more reckless (theory being I guess that it's better to get there quicker so you don't have to drive in the bad stuff any longer than necessary!).

Anyway, I guess having some weight is better than nothing and the sand can come in handy when you get stuck. Ice is ice and your SOL if you hit it and hit the breaks - best to try and sled down those hills and ease off the accelerator around corners.

BTW - is it popular in Buff to take the car out to the empty parking lot when it snows and see just how out of control you get manuveuring in the snow? At least that's what we did in high school - didn't work so well on the back roads when you'd be pushing the car out of the ditch (hopefully).

Have you ever driven a Pickup truck in the snow and ice?

In a Suburban (or any SUV, you still have weight over the backend. In a pickup, you have an empty box so all the weight is over the front end. Since almost all pickups are rear wheel drive, those tires have to be pushed to the ground to get traction and since there is very little weight over them with an empty box, they don't get the traction they need. On dry pavement its fine because they don't need the extra traction, but in snow and ice, the get no traction and will just spin. Even a 4wd pickup with no weight will have traction issues without weight in the back. An SUV has alot more weight due to the carpeting, seats, glass and roof (and passengers) that keeps the wheels in contact with the ground better giving more traction. Thats why they don't need the extra weight like a pickup

Bingo. There is a big difference in having even a little weight in the bed versus an empty cargo area.

I had two lack of traction episodes about two weeks ago, first one coming as I turned left to get onto I-77 - the back end fishtailed on me in the middle of the turn. Just a little wet, nothing big, but you could feel the a$$ just sliding across the wet pavement. Second one came in the same trip - sitting at a red light at the bottom of a hill, light turns green, I hit the gas - and the back tires were a-spinnin'. Wet/snowy pavement+old tires+empty pickup bed = ZERO traction.

Since then I have had the new tires put on and the spray-in liner (which adds about 35-40 lbs, depending on the thickness) added, and it's made a big difference.

At least it isn't like friggin TBD, where people were arguing that snow tires were useless.

Why do you think I didn't start this thread over there? ;)

Archived