Shoot Out Players

wjag

Shootout versus Thrashers: Briere, Afinogenov and Vanek

Shootout versus Bruins: Briere, Afinogenov and Kotalik

When I saw the paper with Kotalik's name on it last night I was shocked. Speculate why we don't use our best goal scorer in shootouts..

Some players are just better in shootouts than others.

I guess so and that would seem the obvious answer.... But on paper, do you really think that Kotalik and Vanek are better than Drury?

I got to believe that Lindy has Max and briere as definites, and goes with a "hot hand" for the third. As for drury, looking back at his goals, they seem to me to be great "position" goals. By that I mean he is in great position for the shot (off the post, top of circle etc...) and he finishes them well. He may not be as comfortable in breakaways.

In a shootout, I think Kotalik and Vanek are indeed better than Drury.

BTW, did anyone notice that Kotalik used the same move last night that he used to beat Dominik in the SO?

Going by memory here, Vanek has used that move every time since then (and only worked once?). I was glad to not see his number called last night. I think next time he is in a shootout, he should actually shoot in the spot when he normally fakes. He might catch the keeper sleeping.

Archived