I'm Chris Drury...Yankees fan

inkman

Maybe because the Yankees represent everything that is wrong in sports and every single fan I have met of theirs has been a complete obnoxious jerk.

Maybe we just turn into obnoxious jerks because people hate us for no real reason ... like it's our fault baseball has no rules to keep the richest team from spending its money. Funny, no one thought I was an obnoxious jerk in from 1978-1995 ... which, I might add, is the same time Drury became a Yankee fan and a Don Mattingly fan, hence the # 23 ... I'm sure you have some irrational hate for him too ... what, too classy for you?

Inkman, you might not even be a Sox fan, so please understand this is not all directed at you ... and the way the Yankees do business IS bad for baseball, I'm not saying it's good. But the Red Sox do the EXACT same thing, and I am so sick of their fans being all high and mighty and pretending they are not just as much to blame for the salary issues in baseball.

Most Yankees fans have ALWAYS been Yankees fans, through the bad years AND the last 10 better years. On the other hand, I hardly knew ANY Red Sox fans until 2004 and then all of a sudden everyone jumped on the bandwagon and it became cool to like the Sox and hate the Yankees. What's more obnoxious, staying loyal to your lifetime team, or jumping on a bandwagon? I'm not saying anyone on this thread is one of these people, but even the true Sox fans are hypocrites.

When the Yankees win, they are what is wrong with sports and "bought" their titles. (Never mind that most of their best players - Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte, Bernie Williams - in the title years were home-grown). But when the Red Sox win, still spending more money than everyone else except the Yankees, they act like they won one for the little guy. Give me a break. Who was it that signed Manny Ramirez to that $125 million free-agent deal? Who was it that first tried to trade for A-Rod? Oh yeah, the Red Sox ... and how did they get Big Papi and Damon? Oh yeah, free agency. When the Yankes sign Sheffield and Clemens, they are the evil empire ... when the Sox get Papi and Damon it's OK? When theYanks trade for Big Unit they are the devil, but the Sox trade for Schilling and it is brilliant!? Sorry guys, the Sox are more like the Yankees than any other team in baseball. No one likes to admit it, but it's true. The real reason you hate the Yankees is because they won more, not because they do anything different than the Sox.

Lest I not repeat my self I'll do a little cut and paste:

Why exactly would a team from NYC obviously be "Buffalo's team"? I can't accept this as anything but front running garbage. They aren't even the closest team. It would be natural for Buffalonians to root for the Indians, the MLB's team whose farm team plays in Buffalo. Just as many Rochesterians root for the Orioles/Twins (they recently swtiched affiliates). I'm not sure how any one from Western NY can like the Yankees. We root for the underdogs, the Sabres and the Bills. The Indians and Twins fit that role perfectly. Instead, we get a bunch of bandwagoners rooting for a team that represents everything that is wrong with sports.

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for big business, monopolies, and oil companies to maximize profits. Their is nothing inherently right about rooting for the odds on favorite every year. You and your friends and family made a conscious decision to root for the best team. Not the local team, not the cool team, not the team with ties to your city, but you chose a team that wins 70% of all the games it plays.

So when you say it is strange to get that response from people from Buffalo, it is people like yourself that create the loathing amongst the non-believers. It is your exaggerated cheering, your ridiculous oversized stickers on your vehicle, your insistance on wearing that flat brimmed Yankee cap that makes us all want to vomit. The Yankees are the exact opposite of what this part of the country represents and shame on you for embracing the arrogant, malignant cancer they have become.

This is why I hate the Yankees.

And as several of us explained on THAT thread, it is not front-running for most of us. We grew up watching the Yankees - the CRAPPY Yankees - on cable in the 1980s.

Disagree with that word. Neither changes the fact that I can count on one hand how many Yankee fans I can tolerate. Then again I don't like people in general so maybe it's just me.

Disagree with that word. Neither changes the fact that I can count on one hand how many Yankee fans I can tolerate. Then again I don't like people in general so maybe it's just me.

I share an office with a tolerable Yankee fan. We actually talked about baseball this year in a civilized way after that 5 game embarassment earlier this season. So yeah, there are a few of them (5 or 6) out there.

I share an office with a tolerable Yankee fan. We actually talked about baseball this year in a civilized way after that 5 game embarassment earlier this season. So yeah, there are a few of them (5 or 6) out there.

I think it's mostly Rochester Yankee fans. I've met a few decent ones but the ones who stand out are the most obnoxious.

I think it's mostly Rochester Yankee fans. I've met a few decent ones but the ones who stand out are the most obnoxious.

Just downplay any of their crap. They always seem to lose interest if it looks like you don't care. It's kind of like dealing with all the Pats fans around here. I love hearing all the "Bills suck" comments anytime I'm with a Bills hat or t-shirt. My "I know" reply shuts them up every time.

Maybe we just turn into obnoxious jerks because people hate us for no real reason

The real reason has already been stated. When the Yankees were 7 games back of the Red Sox, I couldn't even find a Yankee fan. As soon as they were 1/2 game up, I couldn't find anyone who was not a Yankee fan.

... like it's our fault baseball has no rules to keep the richest team from spending its money.

I fault baseball for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like fixing that would do well for baseball. As long as the Yankees are the Yankees, baseball has a villian.

Funny, no one thought I was an obnoxious jerk in from 1978-1995

I can not confirm or deny this statement. :D

... which, I might add, is the same time Drury became a Yankee fan and a Don Mattingly fan, hence the # 23 ... I'm sure you have some irrational hate for him too ... what, too classy for you?

Like I was explaining to my buddy yesterday, I'm a Bills fan and I hate Jim Kelly. So rational thought and I have little in common. :nana:

Inkman, you might not even be a Sox fan

Of course I'm a Sox fan but for reasons that are at the very least are embarrassing to admit.

so please understand this is not all directed at you ... and the way the Yankees do business IS bad for baseball, I'm not saying it's good. But the Red Sox do the EXACT same thing, and I am so sick of their fans being all high and mighty and pretending they are not just as much to blame for the salary issues in baseball.

I can't argue with that. In fact the Yankees do a better job blowing mounds of cash on decent players. The Red Sox haven't made a good personnel move since signing Shilling.

Most Yankees fans have ALWAYS been Yankees fans, through the bad years AND the last 10 better years. On the other hand, I hardly knew ANY Red Sox fans until 2004 and then all of a sudden everyone jumped on the bandwagon and it became cool to like the Sox and hate the Yankees. What's more obnoxious, staying loyal to your lifetime team, or jumping on a bandwagon? I'm not saying anyone on this thread is one of these people, but even the true Sox fans are hypocrites.

Yes.

When the Yankees win, they are what is wrong with sports and "bought" their titles. (Never mind that most of their best players - Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte, Bernie Williams - in the title years were home-grown).

Unfortunately, they have reverted to the 1980's with their personnel decisions.

But when the Red Sox win, still spending more money than everyone else except the Yankees, they act like they won one for the little guy. Give me a break. Who was it that signed Manny Ramirez to that $125 million free-agent deal? Who was it that first tried to trade for A-Rod?

I'm not sure if we are comparing apples to apples here. The Red Sox were looking for marqee players to build their team around. The Yankees traded for Abreu when the had Sheffield (coming off injury) and Cabrera who was doing fine.

Oh yeah, the Red Sox ... and how did they get Big Papi and Damon?

Signing Ortiz was a shot in the dark. He was a part-time player that blossomed in Boston. Damon was no great player before the he got to Boston either. Just a serviceable center fielder/leadoff hitter.

Oh yeah, free agency. When the Yankes sign Sheffield and Clemens, they are the evil empire ... when the Sox get Papi and Damon it's OK?

See above. Sheffield and The Unit were already long proven vets.

When theYanks trade for Big Unit they are the devil, but the Sox trade for Schilling and it is brilliant!? Sorry guys, the Sox are more like the Yankees than any other team in baseball. No one likes to admit it, but it's true. The real reason you hate the Yankees is because they won more, not because they do anything different than the Sox.

Obviously, success breeds contempt. If the Yankees sucked, I could care less about them. Right now they are in my Red Sox way so of course they are in the bullseye. They do do things slightly different than the Red Sox. As of late, as I said before, they have done a much better job of signing and trading for high priced mercenaries. Theo has really sucked a fatty lately and deserves any criticism thrown his way.

EDIT: Why did this post not turn out the way I anticipated?

Obviously, success breeds contempt. If the Yankees sucked, I could care less about them.

Exactly. And if the Red Sox sucked, Yankees fans would not be obnoxious around you. It's a 2-way street. The fans are always going to "hate" each other, and a certain segment are going to be a-holes about it, on both sides.

I always find it a bit strange when Yankee fans try to say that the Red Sox are doing the same exact thing as NY. I think a $70+ million gap in payroll bumps NY up a level or two. Yes Boston spends the 2nd most, but the Sox could absorb the entire payroll of any of 16 teams in the league and still be below the Yankee payroll. No, Boston is not more like NY than any other team in the league. They're more like the Angels, White Sox, or Mets than any other team in the league.

Keep in mind that the site I checked for payroll figures may not be completely up to date.

I always find it a bit strange when Yankee fans try to say that the Red Sox are doing the same exact thing as NY. I think a $70+ million gap in payroll bumps NY up a level or two. Yes Boston spends the 2nd most, but the Sox could absorb the entire payroll of any of 16 teams in the league and still be below the Yankee payroll. No, Boston is not more like NY than any other team in the league. They're more like the Angels, White Sox, or Mets than any other team in the league.

Keep in mind that the site I checked for payroll figures may not be completely up to date.

Last year, no doubt, the Yanks got out of control, and Boston has reigned it in since winning the World Series. But look at it in 2002-2004 and you will see the Red Sox MUCH closer to the Yankees in payroll than they were to the average team that has a legitimate complaint.

Either way, you can't say "the Yankees are everything that is wrong with sports" and pretend like the Red Sox (or Dodgers or Mets, etc.) are innocent bystanders. In December 2000, it was the Red Sox who gave Manny $125 million a month before A-Rod signed his big deal with the Rangers. That was more than the Yankees had given anyone at the time BY FAR (Jeter's deal was a full $45 million less at the time.).

Like we said, people hate the Yankees because they WIN, not because they spend money. No one hates the Rangers because they threw $250 million at A-Rod and $100 million at Chan Ho Park, because they sucked. Or the Dodgers when they threw silly money at Darren Driefort and have a payroll in the top 5 every year, because they suck. Yet all these dumb contracts have just as much to do with driving the cost of players up just as much as the Yankees do, if not more because they pay mediocre players great money and then when a quality player hits the market he gets even more.

Oh and Inkman, Damon was FAR better than a "servicable" center fielder ... his last year in KC he hit .327 with 16 homers, 88 RBI and a career-high 46 steals ... he was an all-star in every sense of the word, and the Sox went out and bought him, as is their right. They did not luck into him.

I think a lot of the Yankee hatred is due to the constant media attention they're given. The same goes for the Red Sox.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it ... it's funny, everyone complains but then the Carda play the Tigers in the Series and no one watches ... what do people want? I'm not sure anyone knows.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it ... it's funny, everyone complains but then the Carda play the Tigers in the Series and no one watches ... what do people want? I'm not sure anyone knows.

I don't watch the World Series unless the Cleveland Indians are in it. Otherwise, it just interferes with watching hockey.

I don't like the Yankees because of the cocky-bastard-ness that seems to pour out of Derek Jeter, and the fact that every male Yankees fan from the NY Metro area under age 30 tries to act just like him. If he were gone and/or lost his posuer fan club I probably wouldn't despise them so much.

They want their own team in the WS, or maybe some lesser hyped team, maybe a team like the Mets this year. I know exactly how it works for me. I'm so sick of espn trying to force feed me stuff (basketball).

Archived