Mismatched helmets, pants, etc.

PASabreFan

I think it has something to do with Reebok not having time to match the dye lots of the throwbacks with that of the home blues. . .

And I guess they didn't want to buy different pants, gloves, helmets etc for 18 games out of the year.

I bet they weren't planning on wearing the throwbacks for as many games as they ended up doing it (because of the backlash) and therefore didn't put much forethought into the matching. But now since they backpedaled and are wearing the throwbacks so often it looks a little obvious.

By the way, to all those who are rejoicing that the streak is over so we can stop posting about silliness, you'll now have to go back to hearing about the jerseys... my sense is that Sluggalo talk has been quieted by the streaking... but no longer. :doh:

As much as I love this team, I really don't want to see any threads about them streaking...

And I think PA's point wasn't about the throwbacks matching the pants, I think he was noticing that the new sluggalo jerseys don't seem to match the pants that well either. It seems like we are wearing two different shades of blue in the new jerseys and the new pants...

That's funny. I don't think my question has anything to do with finally losing, but maybe in the deep dark recesses of my mind, something clicked. Actually, I posted the question after seeing that overhead view of Nathan Paetsch someone posted. You can really see that the NEW jerseys don't match the NEW pants. You'd think if you took three plus years to design a new uniform, you could have gotten that much right.

and why the old jerseys don't match the helmets. I'm almost afraid to hear the reason why...

I guess i latched onto that part of the question. :bag: I've never heard an explanation about the new jerseys and new pants.

I wasn't insinuating that PA was starting up another Sluggalo thread because the streak was over... I was noticing how people (in general) have been complaining about the streak talk and finding it mildly annoying that we (in general) went from bitching about sluggalo to bitching about streaks and bandwagoners. Makes me wonder what's next on the horizon to bitch about?

At this point I find sluggalo mildly annoying (and somewhat comic) but am more focused on the fact that we picked up 21 of 22 available points thus far this season.

I think it has to do with the fact with our 3rd jerseys are not technically being our 3rd jerseys. they are our vintage jerseys, throwbacks if you will. So therefore they keep the original color scheme. I believe I have heard that by the 08/09(maybe it was 07/08???) season the originals will be darkened to match the current color scheme... FWIW

In all the logo hullabaloo, I think I missed the explanation for why our new jerseys don't match the pants, and why the old jerseys don't match the helmets. I'm almost afraid to hear the reason why...

You are right on the money. I can buy the excuse for why the retro jerseys don't match the pants, but WTF is the excuse for the home jerseys not matching the pants? You're the man Quinny!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

You are right on the money. I can buy the excuse for why the retro jerseys don't match the pants, but WTF is the excuse for the home jerseys not matching the pants? You're the man Quinny!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Maybe they figured that since they aren't allowed to change the colour of the vintage jerseys, they would use a colour inbetween the new jerseys and the vintage so neither look horribly out of place

Or maybe since so much is being spent on Salary this year, TG needed to save some money on the teams equipment that he had to by seconds and mis-tints for the rest of the uniforms to save costs?

It would be nice if someone was taken to task about this. I've gotten over the whole Sluggalo thing but from having 100 jersey's for sale, to nothing available at their website, they have really stumbled their way through this. The media has really kept the gloves on during this and it's somewhat dissapointing. Just a few answers would be nice.

Ink, the most maddening thing coming out of the media is this idea that the fan base has accepted the slug. They cite the fact (?) that Sabres jerseys are outselling all others at nhl.com. If it's true, what's the shock? I don't think it means the fans have embraced it. My eyes tell me otherwise when the camera pans the crowd. I see precious few new jerseys, far outnumbered by the goathead and the crossed swords. The propaganda means nothing. Only the bean counters know if the slug has met their expectations. Let's hope the answer is no and in time the only place we see the new jerseys is in the vintage uniforms section of eBay.

Maybe the Sabres are really going retro - I remember hearing comments in the '60s that the Bisons (the hockey team, that is) always seemed to have a problem with mismatched uniforms. Some players had new jerseys, some had year old ones; the colors were off and the older ones were faded. That was a lack of $$. Maybe Tommy G. blew his entire Sabres budget on player salaries and they got the pants on a discount at Overstock.com......??? :blink:

Ink, the most maddening thing coming out of the media is this idea that the fan base has accepted the slug. They cite the fact (?) that Sabres jerseys are outselling all others at nhl.com. If it's true, what's the shock? I don't think it means the fans have embraced it. My eyes tell me otherwise when the camera pans the crowd. I see precious few new jerseys, far outnumbered by the goathead and the crossed swords. The propaganda means nothing. Only the bean counters know if the slug has met their expectations. Let's hope the answer is no and in time the only place we see the new jerseys is in the vintage uniforms section of eBay.

Good observation, PA. My comments to my wife during the Atlanta game were that it seemed the slug was most popular with the kids and younger crowd, while most of the adults seemed to be in the B&R or vintage (both blue & white) jerseys.

What this means in the scheme of things is hard to discern, since we don't know what the expectations were from the Sabres, NHL and Rbk. I think the team's hot start coupled with difficulties finding the vintage stuff jumpstarted the sales of the slugalo, and with Christmas around the corner, where the club is probably counting on a big merchandise push. As others have noted, the true test of the jersey is the staying power - will people go out and keep buying new stuff, new sweaters each year? My guess is that it eventually goes the way of the pet rock and Zubaz, and we'll be hiding pictures of the slug uniforms from our kids... ;)

My guess is that it eventually goes the way of the pet rock and Zubaz, and we'll be hiding pictures of the slug uniforms from our kids... ;)

Whats wrong with Zubaz's??????? j/k

It is gonna suck when we have to tell our kids the Sabres have never won the cup only because the team photo has them wearing the new jersey :rolleyes:

Good observation, PA. My comments to my wife during the Atlanta game were that it seemed the slug was most popular with the kids and younger crowd, while most of the adults seemed to be in the B&R or vintage (both blue & white) jerseys.

Sluggalo is the Jar Jar Binks of hockey jerseys, it's a marketing appeal to a younger audience ruining a classic.

Archived