Anchor Bar=Not a Sports Bar

inkman

I don't get to Buffalo very often, so I figured I would share a little story I have about my visit. My wife and I were meeting up with her friends at the Anchor Bar, who were in town for the Patriots game. We thought it would be cool to watch the Sabres and Bruins considering her friends are from Boston and root for the Bruins. This is where the fun starts.

As 7:00 was approaching, I didn't notice any sort of activity with the TV preparing to get the game on. So being "that" guy I had to ask the bartender if she could put the Sabres game on. She put it on the channel the Sabres were supposed to be on and told me the game would pop up on the screen the moment the game starts. As 7:15, and then 7:30 passed by it became increasingly obvious that something was afoul.

Subsequently, I checked my phone to see if the game had started and voila, 1-0 Buffalo. As I was trying to get the bartender's attention, someone started flipping the channels again. I felt a shimmer of hope until this new person had as much of a clue about the game as the bartender. This kept happening all night long to no avail. To make matters worse, the only thing they did have on was Clemson vs. Georgia Tech. No world series, no Sabres, nothing.

It became apparent to me that the Anchor Bar is merely a touristy chicken wing establishment with little regard to the sports scene in Buffalo.

And their wings are over priced and over rated. ;)

AMEN TO THAT!!! They get a lot of cred because they were invented and first sold there so its known as the home of chicken wings... but they are definitely not the best wings around. I think Duff's has some of the best in WNY.

AMEN TO THAT!!! They get a lot of cred because they were invented and first sold there so its known as the home of chicken wings... but they are definitely not the best wings around. I think Duff's has some of the best in WNY.

I tell ya. Some of the best wings have always been the small local bars.

I tell ya. Some of the best wings have always been the small local bars.

Or some of the small pizzerias... I personally like DiPaulo's Pizza in the Town of Tonawanda (corner of Colvin and Brighton). Of course, I might be a little biased because that's my family's place, but I couldn't resist the free plug!!!

;)

Or some of the small pizzerias... I personally like DiPaulo's Pizza in the Town of Tonawanda (corner of Colvin and Brighton). Of course, I might be a little biased because that's my family's place, but I couldn't resist the free plug!!!

;)

Ahhhhh I remember that place ... right by Kinney Field, right? Is it still called that, the park with the plane? When I was a kid we used to always get pizza from the DiPaulo's on Englewood, but then they closed it ... luckily Milano's opened up right down the street ... that pizza is more like Bocce's, and I loved it, but DiPaulo's was really good too. I was just a kid so was not so into wings then ... but for some reason I always remember the Orange Whip machine at DiPaulo's ... whatever happened to that stuff?

Ahhhhh I remember that place ... right by Kinney Field, right? Is it still called that, the park with the plane? When I was a kid we used to always get pizza from the DiPaulo's on Englewood, but then they closed it ... luckily Milano's opened up right down the street ... that pizza is more like Bocce's, and I loved it, but DiPaulo's was really good too. I was just a kid so was not so into wings then ... but for some reason I always remember the Orange Whip machine at DiPaulo's ... whatever happened to that stuff?

Yeah thats the place. Kenney Field actually, but close enough. It still has the big blue plane there too. My dad actually took over that DiPaulo's location from the original owner back in 1981, its the only one that still exists. I'm 24 now and I don't remember an orange whip machine, so either my dad got rid of it back when I was a kid or your thinking back even further before he took it over.

That's funny though, we always get people that grew up in the area, moved away, and are back in town for a weekend.. They're always so nostalgic about the place, remembering when we had jukeboxes at every table and stuff like that. Its amazing that even something as simple as a neighborhood pizzeria can stir up some happy memories for out of towners when they come back home for a visit.

Yeah thats the place. Kenney Field actually, but close enough. It still has the big blue plane there too. My dad actually took over that DiPaulo's location from the original owner back in 1981, its the only one that still exists. I'm 24 now and I don't remember an orange whip machine, so either my dad got rid of it back when I was a kid or your thinking back even further before he took it over.

That's funny though, we always get people that grew up in the area, moved away, and are back in town for a weekend.. They're always so nostalgic about the place, remembering when we had jukeboxes at every table and stuff like that. Its amazing that even something as simple as a neighborhood pizzeria can stir up some happy memories for out of towners when they come back home for a visit.

Yeah actually the Orange Whip was at the Englewood location that closed, but they had them everywhere back then ...

I am craving Buffalo pizza now ....

Duff's used to be my fav too, but did they change something about their wings? They just aren't as good as they used to be.

You're crazy. I just went to Duffs in OP the night of the "OCTOBER SUPRISE STORM" and it was as good as ever. Their Bleu Cheese and wing sauce is so good i can drink it without the wing! hehe. As for Anchor Bar, i've been long saying that the wings are way too overrated and the service there is ridiculously bad. I've taken friends from out of town there and was embarrassed how rudely we were treated at a "tourist trap" that represents my hometown.

Speaking of the OSS couldn't the media come up with a catchier title for that storm? Even Byron Brown was calling it the October Surprise. Its pretty lame if you ask me... similar to PASabrefan....lame.

this is kinda random, but if you're ever in tampa hattrick's has great wings. i went there on friday to watch the game (which they gladly put on two of the tvs along with the florida/philly game) and got some wings that were out of this world. it's so hard to find good wings outside of buffalo, but these were phenominal. hattrick's is a great hockey-themed bar downtown and, although pricey, is a can't miss spot in tampa.

;)

I used to eat there all the time when I lived on Brighton Road from 94 - 97. Great place!

;)

Well, what kind of SabreSpace promos are you running? When is our party scheduled??? :)

Speaking of the OSS couldn't the media come up with a catchier title for that storm? Even Byron Brown was calling it the October Surprise. Its pretty lame if you ask me... similar to PASabrefan....lame.

The only vision I had everytime I heard the words "October Surprise", was one of some pervert running rampant across the county exposing himselt to every female he could find. :lol: :lol:

AMEN to the comments regarding the Anchorbar. It is a shame, because even about 8 years ago it was still more of a "bar" atmosphere. It now reminds me more of Cheers in Boston...something that all the tourists go to, but no one who actually lives in the city.

Duffs on Sheridan has really good wings, but for my liking they're a bit too saucy. Not too spicy, but too saucy. I like my wings more crispy. The best wings I've found thus far are from Gabriel's Gate, down on Allen. Amazing.

The BBQ wings from a little pizzaria in the Town of Tonawanda called Gino's (directly across from Kenmore East on Fries) are absolutely amazing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an actual sports bar in Buffalo? I really don't care about chicken wings. (that's a lie, but you get my point)

No, but the Bar Bill in East Aurora has some great wings too. :lol:

(btw, they also have a large screen TV but I really have never seen a game there- I try to time my visits to Buffalo so that the Sabres are playing at home so I can shell out the bucks to see the game at HSBC)

It might not be a sports bar, but still definetly cool place to go to before games. Me and several people always go there, drink a few beers, eat some wings and then head to the stadium. You can sink in the hype and the atmoshere of the game on game-nights since 90% of the people there are wearing Sabres gear of some kind, the girls working the bar are wearing Sabres stuff and no matter whos convo you listen in on, it's always something like, who's in goal or who's the biggest threat or breaking down the game... you got a solid complaint no doubt though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an actual sports bar in Buffalo? I really don't care about chicken wings. (that's a lie, but you get my point)

If you want a good spot to go watch a Sabres game, I think Dave and Busters is pretty good. I went there for one game last year when I was in town. It was an OLN game, so there were a lot of Sabres fans there, good TVs to watch on, and the food there is pretty good as well.

For the record, the same thing happened at Duff's on Sheridan Sat night. Tons of people in town jamming that place, one small 20 year old TV by the door and it was not even turned on. Turns out it's broken (probably has been for years). Alot of people were hoping to see some of the Sabres game there but no dice.

Someone mentioned Duffs wings as being subpar> I will say they use a ton of vinegar in their sauce. You really have to like that taste in a wing sauce to enjoy them....otherwise the wings are a nice size and cooked well.

Archived